Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading 2001 Advent T9032

Options
  • 29-04-2015 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

So just doing this as a little project, Doing a computer course in college and just thought id mess round with a home computer we got back in 2001(no longer use it).. Trying to upgrade and make it faster, upgrading to windows 7 and installing more ram. Any advice on how to do all of this? Can i put a new CPU in? it currently has a Intel Pentium 4 560J Prescott (3.6 Ghz).. would this help?

The fans very noisy so I need to replace it, Can i use any fan thats the same fit as in size and 4-pin? ---> http://www.hookbag.com/product/HEC0EW7PL/

Heres the computer specs :http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/pc/t9302.htm

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Say there's a reason its no longer used :p PC is ancient, as is the chip set. Waste of money upgrading it to be honest, you can upgrade the CPU but it won't make much difference, either will ram as its so old.

Core 2 Duo E6700 and some DDR ram are what you want if you decide to go through with it, but won't find a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭4davis7

I know computers basically dead, im just doing it for bit of experience really and to get to know the inner workings really

Just tearing it apart will give as much experience really. If you change CPU you'll need new thermal paste too

ah right so just checking out what the parts are and stuff your suggesting? it keeps freezing anyway probably waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It won't support any Core 2 range of processors so there is nothing that can be done with it.

It's not actually worth anything either, you might get 20 euro for it, but you're far better off just buying a 2nd hand dell from Adverts or Ebay - you'll get a Core 2 based machine for about 50 euro which would be a massive improvement and perfect for web browsing and media playback, etc.

• Advertisement

Why won't it support the Core 2 chip Terror? That I might know in future

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Why won't it support the Core 2 chip Terror? That I might know in future

Presuming it was an early 775 socket board, doesnt list support for core2 in the manual

CPU
    • Supports Intel® Pentium 4 Prescott LGA775 processors in LGA775 package.
    • Supports up to Pentium 4 3XX, 5XX sequence processor or higher speed.
    • Supports Intel Hyper-Threading Technology

http://laptok.nazwa.pl/allegro/ms7046/SPEC.pdf

Ive backed up all the information off the computer, What would be the best thing for me to do with it just take it apart for the experience?

Open it up, take a good look at everything, pics if needs be, and start unplugging cables from the motherboard and tracing them to components.

When you see where the cables lead, try to unscrew the component and remove it.

Take everything out except the CPU and its fan. Don't bother removing the motherboard either. When everything is out, put it back together and see if you've broken anything

Open it up, take a good look at everything, pics if needs be, and start unplugging cables from the motherboard and tracing them to components.

When you see where the cables lead, try to unscrew the component and remove it.

Take everything out except the CPU and its fan. Don't bother removing the motherboard either. When everything is out, put it back together and see if you've broken anything

Saved me alot of time there trying to update it, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement