Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice To Increase Rent

Options
  • 29-04-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

How much notice must be given before the landlord increases the rent?

Its due next week and I just got a letter saying they are upping it by €100. hoping to avoid any conflict as the landlord still has our deposit. We can however move by giving 4 weeks notice.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

http://www.prtb.ie/search-results/news/article/2014/04/16/rent-increases-the-facts
    If a landlord intends increasing the rent, they must inform the tenant, in writing, of any increase 28 days before the increase is due to take effect.

Googled "prtb rent increase" and looked the first link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Doff wrote: »

Its due next week and I just got a letter saying they are upping it by €100. hoping to avoid any conflict as the landlord still has our deposit. We can however move by giving 4 weeks notice.
    They also need to give you 4 weeks notice so you're good for this month.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/rent_increases.html

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Ok but the letter stated the day next week the rent is due, so I'm within my legal right to not pay the increased amount for this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ok but the letter stated the day next week the rent is due, so I'm within my legal right to not pay the increased amount for this month?
    Ring Threshold or the PRTB and see what they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You dont need to pay the increase next week, but you will the month after as the 28 days notice will have passed. You should get on to the LL and let them know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I assume this is just a landlord you're dealing with, and not an agency. Maybe ring prtb to be sure, but the landlord possibly just doesnt know.

A phone call to the landlord explaining that 28 days is required before the rent can be increased should sort things out. No need to go on the defensive, unless he kicks up a fuss. If he does, just tell him to check out the citizens information website, or prtb website for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just to check - how long have you been there?
    They way you mention the LL 'still has your deposit'... surely the LL will always have the deposit anyway?
    Have you recently moved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Just to check - how long have you been there?
    They way you mention the LL 'still has your deposit'... surely the LL will always have the deposit anyway?
    Have you recently moved in?

We've been here almost 3 years, just worried because the last place we stayed in the LL flat out refused to give the deposit back and that issue is still ongoing with the PRTB, so any kind of conflict with our LL has us feeling like we'll have that again.

Thanks for the replies guys I rang Treshold and got more info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We've been here almost 3 years

You can't necessarily move out with four weeks notice then.

Legally you have to give 56 days. (ref: http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/ending-your-tenancy/)

That said, if you both agree you can give a shorter period of notice (like 4 weeks), but this has to be agreed when you give the notice, not in advance.

Advertisement