Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER G rating

• 29-04-2015 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

I just bought a small one bed bungalow house. Keys should be in my hands within the coming weeks.

The BER rating is G which is very poor.

Can I ask what are the best steps to improve this rating?

Also can I ask the approx costs associated with improving and what grants are available for this?

Any free or cost efficient tips to improve is welcome like blocking the chimney would be an obvious one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You may get better tips in the Construction/Planning section of boards. Shall I move the thread there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Read the full report to see if it's even vaguely accurate first. Lots of poor BER ratings on empty houses are down to poor assessors. Verify its correct on window type and attic insulation at the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

With a G rating there is prob no insulation and single glazed windows, is the heating electric too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Ask the auctioneer for a copy of the BER report. This will contain remedial actions to improve the rating and a rough cost to undertake each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

Paulw wrote: »
    You may get better tips in the Construction/Planning section of boards. Shall I move the thread there?

Yes please thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

With a G rating there is prob no insulation and single glazed windows, is the heating electric too ?

Yes I think all 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Edit: Hopefully you will get better advice in this section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Green Mile wrote: »
    Yes I think all 3.
    Yeah then they are your first 3 areas to tackle, and consider the proper installation of a stove rather than an open chimney.

The electric heating will always drag down a BER, however i have been in a house that got a high level of internal insulation and attic insulation put in along with high quality windows, and the heat demand is low they dont actually use that much heating except for december/january so the electric heating works ok. However they still plan to change it eventually but defo high quality windows and insulation first.

Be careful with ventilation too, alot of these old houses with G ratings can be prone to mould if you insulate etc but dont ensure proper ventilation, currently the open chimeny is probably providing a good portion of ventilation which if you install a stove will be reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

The costs of improving the BER are really something you should have considered before making a bid in my opinion

if you have the BER number or MPRN you can see the report online here -

https://ndber.seai.ie/pass/ber/search.aspx

JoeySully wrote: »
    The costs of improving the BER are really something you should have considered before making a bid in my opinion

No.
    The costs of upgrading the house to suit your needs and lifestyle is really something you should have considered before making a bid. (and I hope you did).

The BER is just a number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

No.
    The costs of upgrading the house to suit your needs and lifestyle is really something you should have considered before making a bid. (and I hope you did).

The BER is just a number.

See section 5 of the following document for an outline of why the rating has to make standardized assumptions across all dwellings. http://www.seai.ie/Your_Building/BER/BER_Assessors/Technical/DEAP/Introduction_to_DEAP_for_Professionals.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VaSil83

Dear Green,

Could you please advise how much you had paid (in total) to improve your house BER rate from G?
    And what is the house BER rate now?

Thanks,
    Vas

Green Mile wrote: »
    I just bought a small one bed bungalow house. Keys should be in my hands within the coming weeks.

The BER rating is G which is very poor.

Can I ask what are the best steps to improve this rating?

Also can I ask the approx costs associated with improving and what grants are available for this?

Any free or cost efficient tips to improve is welcome like blocking the chimney would be an obvious one.

Advertisement