Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocked pentium g3258 or i3 4160 for budget gaming build?

Options
  • 29-04-2015 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm going to build a budget gaming pc in a month.

I've been looking up reviews and think I'm going to go with one of these cpu's.

Has anybody got any advice? Planning on getting an r9 280x level gpu, so would it make more sense to spend more on cpu and less on gpu?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i3. Over clocking will only bring you so far before you need a new cooler, adding €30, so there is realistically only €20 in the difference. i3 4160 should do a budget build.

Do you want to post your build for review?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

i3. Over clocking will only bring you so far before you need a new cooler, adding €30, so there is realistically only €20 in the difference. i3 4160 should do a budget build.

Do you want to post your build for review?

Perfect. That's what I thought confirmed. Yes indeed I will, later tonight when I'm home, thanks :)

OK here goes

Intel i3 4160
    Asrock b85m pro4
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600
    WD caviar blue 1TB hard drive
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Core 1300 black case
    Corsair Builder Series CX430 V3 430 Watt

The graphics card is somewhere I need advice from you guys? Was thinking gtx 960 or r9 280x?

Any suggestions?
    All criticism welcome lol

Antec One may be a better case, same price. Or Nanoxia DS3 is €65. Stick with antec if you want to keep cost down.

I'd recommend the 280X gpu, and a H81 or H87 motherboard, motherboard should be about 70 or so anyways. XFX Double Dissapation 280X is about 240 iirc. Use geizhals.de for a discount, I assume you're buying from hwvs?

Antec One may be a better case, same price. Or Nanoxia DS3 is €65. Stick with antec if you want to keep cost down.

I'd recommend the 280X gpu, and a H81 or H87 motherboard, motherboard should be about 70 or so anyways. XFX Double Dissapation 280X is about 240 iirc. Use geizhals.de for a discount, I assume you're buying from hwvs?

The case I'm not fussy with but I'll look into it thanks :)
    Yup I'll be buying from there, it seems great to be honest.

Was thinking of going second hand for the graphics card, or is that dodgy? Was looking on adverts.

How will that system run for gaming? I'm a Battlefield fan so would like to get good frame rate @1080 maxed if possible.... Probably optimistic on my part

• Advertisement

BF3 will run no issue. BF4 shouldn't be an issue with lesser AA (not a huge issue anyways). Your GPU is the main thing for gaming in most cases, so I wouldn't skimp on it.

An old, highly rated seller on adverts should be fine, no warranty though. As with all second hand sales, being a bit sceptical is no harm.

BF3 will run no issue. BF4 shouldn't be an issue with lesser AA (not a huge issue anyways). Your GPU is the main thing for gaming in most cases, so I wouldn't skimp on it.

An old, highly rated seller on adverts should be fine, no warranty though. As with all second hand sales, being a bit sceptical is no harm.

Sounds good. This is my first builds I'm excited for it. Will the h87 pro 4 moro be upgradeable to i5 and i7 in the future?
    That's the plan

Might be worth saving €75 and getting a 4460 from the off maybe? Less hassle with changing coolers and selling the i3, lose another few euro there too? It'll last longer too. Your choice.

All LGA1150 chips are compatible with the same motherboards, that's the main compatibitly to watch for with CPUs.

Might be worth saving €75 and getting a 4460 from the off maybe? Less hassle with changing coolers and selling the i3, lose another few euro there too? It'll last longer too. Your choice.

All LGA1150 chips are compatible with the same motherboards, that's the main compatibitly to watch for with CPUs.

I'll see what gpu I'm going to go with and then get the best cpu I can afford there after!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

got same cpu G3258 its basically click and you can run it over 4ghz in no time,some push as hard as close to 5.

there's review on youtube comparing it in benchmarks with i7 and difference is couple points,in games,but huge drop in media/graphics tasks since its only two core and basic.but for the price of less than 100 its fairly decent.

Except for two issues-to reach numbers above you'll need serious cooling-liquid most likely and thats another price of your cpu at least,also don't know how it works buts this intel cpu only supports memory of 1333 ddr3,so adding say sticks of 1600 or more will automatically reset your clocks to 1333.Not sure how true is that but further look up online explains it.

Also im in the same ship need new GPU and with all new releases and technology its hard to choose,but most side now on 280X since price is almost 100e less and performance wise card seems more promising,even thou im into nvidia for last 2 decades.

• Advertisement

Some newer games won't launch on the pentium as its dual core, the hyperthreading of the i3 let's it off the hook, so gaming machines should be based around an i3 at the very least imo

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some newer games won't launch on the pentium as its dual core, the hyperthreading of the i3 let's it off the hook, so gaming machines should be based around an i3 at the very least imo

LTT have mentioned this in videos, the example being Far Cry. Id agree that you wanna go for an upper tier i3 at the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Good point on hyper-threading there,but wouldn't worry about games supporting it since the tech is already almost 5y out and still not many games or even applications support it.thus its more developers which focus either intense gpu usage or combine both.

But in your setup-unless you will be adding extra cooling and doing high OC thus losing memory clocks to base 1333,then i3 is way to go since difference is merely 30e on them two.

atm its better to have high end graphics since most games handle with 3-4ghz cpu just fine.

Advertisement