Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabolical Customer Service - and €45 per Month for 0.1MB 'Broadband'

Options
  • 29-04-2015 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭

Hello. I'm paying Eircom €45 per month for the following download speeds:

4325550187.png

Impressive, isn't it?

Last August, when eFibre became available in my area, I signed up. The engineer from KN Networks who installed the line told me that Eircom would contact me within a few days with a date for the broadband installation. A few weeks passed, with no contact from Eircom, so I phoned them - only to be told that my account had been cancelled because of some kind of problem with the eFibre cabinet. 

The customer service representative told me that it was a temporary problem, and that if I signed up for the standard 'NGB' service, I would be automatically upgraded to eFibre within a matter of weeks. Foolishly, I believed him, and agreed to sign up to an 18-month contract. I know, I know... I was stupid. I had just cancelled my previous provider (Imagine Wimax - the speeds weren't great, but it was still well over 50 times faster than the crap I'm currently getting from Eircom. Their customer service was pretty good too. I miss them), and figured that eFibre would be worth waiting a few weeks for. Several people have since told me that you should never believe anything Eircom tell you when they're trying to lock you into a contract. I don't intend to make that mistake again.

A few months later, I had heard nothing, so I rang Eircom again, just to get an update (I think this was October or November). After being kept on hold for a long, long time, a customer service representative eventually told me that it wasn't yet available, but Eircom would be in contact with me soon.

I patiently waited. A few months on (January or February, I think), still no word... so I rang Eircom again. After being kept on hold for the obligatory long, long time, I eventually spoke to a customer service representative, who now told me that my house was actually too far from the cabinet, and that eFibre wouldn't be available to me. I find this kind of weird because my neighbours (on both sides) have eFibre. As my house is sandwiched right between theirs, I'm not sure how I could be too far from the exchange, when they aren't. Also, why was I not initially informed of this? 

Obviously, I wasn't happy with this. I mean, you wouldn't be, would you? I asked if I could cancel the contract. I was told that this wouldn't be possible without breaching the terms of the contract and therefore being liable for an early cancellation fee. It was an eighteen month contract, and that was that. The only way I could extricate myself from the contract would be to file a complaint with Eircom. He then filled out the complaint form (well, that's what he said he was doing anyway... for all I know he could have been doodling, filing his nails, playing solitaire or scratching himself), and told me I'd hear from him again within ten days. That was around two months ago... I have heard nothing.

Having been blatantly misled on three separate occasions, by three different customer service representatives, I no longer have any appetite to engage in discussion with, or give any more of my money to, a company that clearly does not give a damn about its customers. I wish to cancel my contract, preferably immediately - and definitely without having to pay any early release fee. I am not prepared to continue paying €45 per month for dial-up speeds.

How can I do this? Preferably in the most hassle-free way possible. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

It is possible there is a fault with your line which is contributing to slow speeds, you should contact Eircom's faults team on 1890 260 260 for assistance and to see if that is an issue to be ruled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It is possible there is a fault with your line which is contributing to slow speeds, you should contact Eircom's faults team on 1890 260 260 for assistance and to see if that is an issue to be ruled out.
    That's not really my biggest issue, to be honest. I was persuaded to sign up to Eircom broadband under the false premise that eFibre would be available to me within a matter of weeks. They've subsequently fobbed me off, again and again, so I no longer wish to give them my custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

RayM wrote: »

4325550187.png

Impressive, isn't it?

Last August, when eFibre became available in my area, I signed up. The engineer from KN Networks who installed the line told me that Eircom would contact me within a few days with a date for the broadband installation. A few weeks passed, with no contact from Eircom, so I phoned them - only to be told that my account had been cancelled because of some kind of problem with the eFibre cabinet. 

The customer service representative told me that it was a temporary problem, and that if I signed up for the standard 'NGB' service, I would be automatically upgraded to eFibre within a matter of weeks. Foolishly, I believed him, and agreed to sign up to an 18-month contract. I know, I know... I was stupid. I had just cancelled my previous provider (Imagine Wimax - the speeds weren't great, but it was still well over 50 times faster than the crap I'm currently getting from Eircom. Their customer service was pretty good too. I miss them), and figured that eFibre would be worth waiting a few weeks for. Several people have since told me that you should never believe anything Eircom tell you when they're trying to lock you into a contract. I don't intend to make that mistake again.

A few months later, I had heard nothing, so I rang Eircom again, just to get an update (I think this was October or November). After being kept on hold for a long, long time, a customer service representative eventually told me that it wasn't yet available, but Eircom would be in contact with me soon.

I patiently waited. A few months on (January or February, I think), still no word... so I rang Eircom again. After being kept on hold for the obligatory long, long time, I eventually spoke to a customer service representative, who now told me that my house was actually too far from the cabinet, and that eFibre wouldn't be available to me. I find this kind of weird because my neighbours (on both sides) have eFibre. As my house is sandwiched right between theirs, I'm not sure how I could be too far from the exchange, when they aren't. Also, why was I not initially informed of this? 

Obviously, I wasn't happy with this. I mean, you wouldn't be, would you? I asked if I could cancel the contract. I was told that this wouldn't be possible without breaching the terms of the contract and therefore being liable for an early cancellation fee. It was an eighteen month contract, and that was that. The only way I could extricate myself from the contract would be to file a complaint with Eircom. He then filled out the complaint form (well, that's what he said he was doing anyway... for all I know he could have been doodling, filing his nails, playing solitaire or scratching himself), and told me I'd hear from him again within ten days. That was around two months ago... I have heard nothing.

Having been blatantly misled on three separate occasions, by three different customer service representatives, I no longer have any appetite to engage in discussion with, or give any more of my money to, a company that clearly does not give a damn about its customers. I wish to cancel my contract, preferably immediately - and definitely without having to pay any early release fee. I am not prepared to continue paying €45 per month for dial-up speeds.

Hi RayM
    to cancel your account you would have to call 1901 and go through to cancellations. However I am afraid you may get same response. If you do wish us to follow up on this for you, just PM me your details and we can have this issue investigated. I cannot promise that we can change any decision already taken. But we can make sure all factors are taken into account.
    Tony

Thanks Tony, PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

This a a classic case for a formal complaint followed up by a call to comreg.

Check this out http://support.eircom.net/article/codeofpractice complain about the level pf service and ask for it to be corrected or to be allowed out of contract with no penalty. Just give them the required 10 working days then contact comreg and supply them with the same information.

You can contact eircom by email and cc it to consumerline@comreg.ie if you like but make sure you use the subject line Formal Complaint so it is obvious its a complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Given the way the op has been treated surely Eircom should be looking at this possibility as a matter of course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks Tony, PM sent.
    Hi RayM

Please let me know or PM me should you have any further issues or queries

Cheers
    Al

Thanks Tony, PM sent.
    Hi RayM

Cheers
    Al
    So OP its all fixed then?

my3cents wrote: »
    Thanks Tony, PM sent.
    Hi RayM

Cheers
    Al
    Nope. Haven't heard a word since I PMed Tony the week before last...

I've definitely had good results on several occasions when I have got comreg on the case when eircom have failed to do anything to resolve an issue so I really can recommend taking it up with them.

• Advertisement

Thanks Tony, PM sent.
    Hi RayM

Cheers
    Al
    Hi RayM

I'm sorry you have not heard anything back from your complaint yet, Tony is not available today - can you please PM me your eircom account number and I'll look in to this further please?

Thanks
    Al

Two weeks on... and no response. 

Just to clarify what I'm looking for:

(a) An update on the complaint that I made earlier in the year.

and...

(b) Based on the very obvious outcome of that complaint, the cancellation of a contract that was mis-sold.

I think I've been very patient so far, but this is getting very silly.

Next stage if comreg didn't help after a formal complaint according to Eircoms complaints procedure is a Small Claims Court case. It costs iirc €28 you can't claim for any expenses but you can claim all the money you have paid Eircom since you were miss-sold the service.

Next stage if comreg didn't help after a formal complaint according to Eircoms complaints procedure is a Small Claims Court case. It costs iirc €28 you can't claim for any expenses but you can claim all the money you have paid Eircom since you were miss-sold the service.
    I haven't been in contact with Comreg yet. I'm quite patient, and I was hoping - as my issue is a relatively simple and straightforward one - that Eircom would be able to deal with it. But they don't seem to give a damn about their customers, so Comreg is probably my best option at this stage.

I find it really bizarre that I've been lied to over the phone by three separate reps, and then pretty much ignored by two different reps on here (I contacted Tony via PM on 30th April, and then Alan on 12th May - and have heard nothing since from either of them). 

Rather than blaming the individuals concerned, I can only assume that treating customers like crap is company policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 tomhain

It is easy for people to say go to small claim courts, write complaints etc etc but I guess you have better things to do with your time. Just tell them your broadband doesn't work and so you are not going to pay anymore. And wait even 20 years for them to fix it, once it doesn't cost you anything.

I did complain through comreg while ago and all they do is resend yoru complaint to the company and send you their answer. They have very limited authority to do anything.

tomhain wrote: »
    It is easy for people to say go to small claim courts, write complaints etc etc but I guess you have better things to do with your time. Just tell them your broadband doesn't work and so you are not going to pay anymore. And wait even 20 years for them to fix it, once it doesn't cost you anything.

I did complain through comreg while ago and all they do is resend yoru complaint to the company and send you their answer. They have very limited authority to do anything.
    All that happens if you don't complain is the bills keep coming and if you don't pay them then you get letters from debt collectors. So you have to take positive action. Comreg have worked fine for me with eircom but it does depend on what you complaint is and the way you frame it. 

• Registered Users Posts: 36 tomhain

tomhain wrote: »

All that happens if you don't complain is the bills keep coming and if you don't pay them then you get letters from debt collectors. So you have to take positive action. Comreg have worked fine for me with eircom but it does depend on what you complaint is and the way you frame it. 
    I'm not saying not to complain, however to go through small claims court and to spend months trying to fix something would be pretty frustraiting, stresful process for me and I guess for most people too. I guess this is good warning for everybody here.

I haven't been in contact with Comreg yet. I'm quite patient, and I was hoping - as my issue is a relatively simple and straightforward one - that Eircom would be able to deal with it. But they don't seem to give a damn about their customers, so Comreg is probably my best option at this stage.

I find it really bizarre that I've been lied to over the phone by three separate reps, and then pretty much ignored by two different reps on here (I contacted Tony via PM on 30th April, and then Alan on 12th May - and have heard nothing since from either of them). 

Rather than blaming the individuals concerned, I can only assume that treating customers like crap is company policy.
    Hi RayM

Having investigated this further there are two aspects to your broadband service I feel need clarifying.

At times (especially peak times) the speeds will be quite slower than off peak times because of congestion. Congestion is a result of the current status of your exchange - as the exchange itself has not been upgraded to NGB (next generation broadband) and this is one of the main reasons why speeds are advised in terms of 'up to' both in advertising and in eircoms existing terms & conditions.

Also, due to your lines distance from the exchange at Newtownmountkennedy the max speed your line can hold is up to between 1 & 2Mb - Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to increase the speeds as a lines distance from the exchange cannot be shortened.

I do understand your concern with this Ray, and I do sincerely apologise for all the delays.

Thanks
    Al

Hi RayM

Having investigated this further there are two aspects to your broadband service I feel need clarifying.

At times (especially peak times) the speeds will be quite slower than off peak times because of congestion. Congestion is a result of the current status of your exchange - as the exchange itself has not been upgraded to NGB (next generation broadband) and this is one of the main reasons why speeds are advised in terms of 'up to' both in advertising and in eircoms existing terms & conditions.

Also, due to your lines distance from the exchange at Newtownmountkennedy the max speed your line can hold is up to between 1 & 2Mb - Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to increase the speeds as a lines distance from the exchange cannot be shortened.

I do understand your concern with this Ray, and I do sincerely apologise for all the delays.

Thanks
    Al
    I'm aware that the maximum potential speed on my line is between 1 & 2Mb (when I first signed up, I was getting 1.7Mb, which wasn't great, but I could tolerate it, as I was led to believe that my line would be eFibre enabled within weeks). For several months, I've been getting a maximum of 0.1Mb, at all times (doesn't matter whether it's 8pm or 8am). But that's really just a side issue - as are all the annoying delays. I originally filed the complaint (the one that I've heard nothing about since, despite being told that I'd hear from them within 10 working days) not primarily because the service I signed up to is unacceptably slow, but because I was mis-sold it in the first place, back in August (I refer you my original post). That's the main reason why I'm seeking to extricate myself from the contract - without paying any ridiculous early cessation charge. At €45/month, I feel I've given Eircom far too much money already.

Hi RayM

Thanks
    Al
    Have Eircom no shame or conscience as a company?  Does there not come a time when someone in Eircom says this customer is receiving pitiful service which is not worthy of a supposedly reputable company?

The "up to" get out could mean that a customer could be getting no service at all and Eircom could take his or her money.

Also could I point out that it is really not good enough to say the Exchange hasn't been upgraded as if that somehow justifies the lousy service.  The exchange hasn't been upgraded because Eircom decided not to upgrade it.  But Eircom are happy to take customer's money to whom a lousy service is being "provided".

Also Eircom do not appear to have addressed the commitment given to the customer as below?
    The customer service representative told me that it was a temporary problem, and that if I signed up for the standard 'NGB' service, I would be automatically upgraded to eFibre within a matter of weeks.

• Advertisement

4325550187.png

Impressive, isn't it?

The customer service representative told me that it was a temporary problem, and that if I signed up for the standard 'NGB' service, I would be automatically upgraded to eFibre within a matter of weeks. Foolishly, I believed him, and agreed to sign up to an 18-month contract. I know, I kno..................................................
    Have you asked for a copy of the phone call bolded above?

Hi RayM

Thanks
    Al
    I'm aware that the maximum potential speed on my line is between 1 & 2Mb (when I first signed up, I was getting 1.7Mb, which wasn't great, but I could tolerate it, as I was led to believe that my line would be eFibre enabled within weeks). For several months, I've been getting a maximum of 0.1Mb, at all times (doesn't matter whether it's 8pm or 8am). But that's really just a side issue - as are all the annoying delays. I originally filed the complaint (the one that I've heard nothing about since, despite being told that I'd hear from them within 10 working days) not primarily because the service I signed up to is unacceptably slow, but because I was mis-sold it in the first place, back in August (I refer you my original post). That's the main reason why I'm seeking to extricate myself from the contract - without paying any ridiculous early cessation charge. At €45/month, I feel I've given Eircom far too much money already.
    Any update on the complaint I filed several months ago? 

Just wondering. Sorry if I'm being really impatient, but it's a bit like getting blood from a stone.

Hi RayM

Thanks
    Al

Just wondering. Sorry if I'm being really impatient, but it's a bit like getting blood from a stone.
    Hi RayM

Sincere apologies for the delays in responding.

I've looked in to this further and I see that there is no offical complaint on record. I understand you have already requested to open a complaint but somehow it was not opened. Unfortunately I cannot see why this has occurred but I do genuinely apologise for this.If you log a complaint online here https://www.eircom.net/logacomplaint.jsp it will deffinately be registered for investigation.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi eircom Al...

Your team or company you work for seem to be great at losing info and emails and complaints.

I emailed twice about my serious issues and nothing.

I sent a complaint to comreg and nothing so what is management doing in this joke of a service provider.

Op raym I feel for you.

Dub45 thank you for your help before but I have got nowhere.
    I am still getting bills in the door and have honestly got to the point of just giving up.

It is surprising that you did not get any response from Comreg - did you try contacting them by phone?  You could also consider an old fashioned letter to the Eircom Chief Executive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Rock 1234

Hi Punisher & Dub45,

I went down the road of ComReg they couldn't do anything because Eircom had investigated & found in Eircom's favour, Hello, I also wrote to Eircom's CEO he did get someone down the line to write to us and believe it or not she gave her full name but it didn't change the outcome, The small claims court won't take it because the don't do contracts or debts, 

The only thing that will work is go to a solicitor, if the dept is not owed then you do not have to pay it, The solicitor was the best investment I ever made, if you do not know a solicitor find one and ask him or her how much the will charge, I know you shouldn't have to do this but there is a problem with enforcement in some cases if you don't fit into the right category, Good Luck.

Hi RayM

Thanks
    Al

Hi RayM

Sincere apologies for the delays in responding.

I've looked in to this further and I see that there is no offical complaint on record. I understand you have already requested to open a complaint but somehow it was not opened. Unfortunately I cannot see why this has occurred but I do genuinely apologise for this.If you log a complaint online here https://www.eircom.net/logacomplaint.jsp it will deffinately be registered for investigation.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan. I've lodged the complaint. 

I'm hoping I won't have to resort to Comreg or a solicitor, but if my complaint is somehow dismissed, will it be possible to acquire copies of the calls I made to customer service (presuming all calls are recorded)?

dub45 wrote: »
    It is surprising that you did not get any response from Comreg - did you try contacting them by phone?  You could also consider an old fashioned letter to the Eircom Chief Executive.

I got an email off comreg stating they had forwarded on my complaint and got an answer from eircon stating they had tried to contact us the week previous.

Now as we all know by what we see happening to others they did in no way try to contact as I gave two numbers and received not 1 call or missed or a voice mail.

I did receive a letter eventually that did not answer anything about my issues or complaint.

The letter stated I would have to contact my bank as eircon could not return money already received.

Eircom took €200 then illegally took €468.88 off my visa card. I contacted my bank and as I had been messed about for so long by eircom that it fell out of the time period the bank could do a reverse transaction.

It is a disgrace and they are sending me bills for around €237 if I recall correctly.

One was higher by about €45 more but some of this charge was deducted but I am still receiving these bills.

I was disconnected 2maybe even 3 months now and it took since February to get this through to them.

We emailed and rang countless times especially phoning them.

I only ever got a correct answer and understanding off of 1 staff member the rest didn't know anything or couldn't help and 1 was shockingly aggressive telling me to pay my bills and why would I not pay for so long.

This was due to some fool putting down that somehow they had never ever been paid for the broadband we had received after 15 months.
    Now what company would provide a service for this long if they had never got paid??????

joke of a service provider and they really should be ashamed of their digusting practices and customer care which honestly doesn't seem to exist.

I would hazard a guess its a bit like the I.T Crowd in there where they have a manager who thinks the internet is a black box in the corner.

Thanks Alan. I've lodged the complaint. 

I'm hoping I won't have to resort to Comreg or a solicitor, but if my complaint is somehow dismissed, will it be possible to acquire copies of the calls I made to customer service (presuming all calls are recorded)?

They would never give you any of that info sure their emails get lost seemingly all the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement