Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic public "service" announcements

Options
  • 29-04-2015 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Apparantly DCC and Fingal are thinking of putting these announcement things in around recycle bins and walking paths. They're triggered by movement and they play an automated announcement about littering or picking up after your dog and such like. It's like the DART - more loud automatic announcements about smoking or feet on seats or minding the gap instead of actually doing anything effective.

I've heard these things being trialled and they're loud and annoying (http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Environment/Environment_News_Events/Press-Releases-2014/Council-takes-to-the-Airwaves-to-Curb-Dog-Fouling.html). That press release says "new technology" which is total garbage - it's a PIR triggered answering machine message.

I'm wondering do Fingal and other county councils have some automatic right to put these things in wherever and whenever they feel like without any sort of planning permission? And get taxpayers to pay for them. In a major recession. I can't even imagine what it would do to your life (or your property value) if something like this was outside your house bawling announcments 24/7/365. And once they're in, you can bet they'd be announcing all sorts of stuff - advertisements, vote for me etc. It's the thin end of the wedge to allow any of this.

Advertisement