Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Software Engineering Diploma

Options
  • 29-04-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has done/has any experience with the distance learning Diploma in Software Engineering (GYE16) offered by NUIG. I'm thinking about applying and I'd be very interested in hearing your experiences/how you feel its benefitted your career etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Roneyc

bump...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robotron1000

Hi,

I'm doing the masters in SE and Database Technologies. I'm done with the modules and now I'm doing my thesis. SE diploma is a subset of the masters degree, if I remember correctly. I already wrote about the course on this forum in a topic called "MSc Software Engineering & Database Technologies (MScSED)". I'm not allowed to post URLs so you'll have to Google a bit.

That post was written at the beginning of my 2nd year (a year ago), most of my comments and opinions haven't changed, so I can expand on the previous post by writing about the 2nd year here.

It was database intensive, administration, backup & recovery and perfomance tuning. First two were excellent, performance tuning was a big pile of everything (very fast paced, I lost myself in the middle - nevertheless I'll go through selected chapters again after I graduate as I need some of that stuff in my work).

Besides that I had:
    OOD - I was already familiar with the basic plot but it was great to revisit and get a second perspective. Had to do a project, design some system, I can't remember the details.
    Distributed systems - this was a great module. It was optional for me, as I took the masters and not diploma. We learned about how distributed systems evolved and concentrated a lot on the cloud (hands-on and theory). This was my last module by chance and it was a great choice as it rounded a lot of stuff up. I develop and maintain a huge web application that's part of a wider architecture, on a daily basis and this was a game changer for me because I finally got the bigger picture.

All in all, this is not a type of course that's going to teach you how to program from scratch, if that's what you're after. It's mainly for people who already work in IT, have a non-IT related degree and want to get some formal education. Because of that, it was a great fit for me because, even though we did go over the basics (like OOP), we mainly focused on covering a wide set of concepts. That provided me with the ability to get the bigger picture. That's what I was after and I can say that the course achieved it's goal.

Advertisement