Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

idiot nearly hit me today

• 29-04-2015 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

So this person not only almost knocked me off the bike, they gave it what appeared to be, a look of "i was reversing did you not see me, I was moving I had right of way" and just drove off, there only wasn't a collision as I put the brakes on and was lucky they eventually stopped. I couldn't stop more or reverse.
    I know where they live and I'm tempted to go around and try let them explain how what they did wasn't dangerous, I think they are dangerous if they don't even realise what they did or the consequences if there was a collision. I actually think they'd drive off as they did anyway earlier.
    I can't fathom how they think what they did was not wrong as they have no right of way, and pulled off from a driveway without looking, I could see they started moving off with no signs they saw me on the road despite being in dayglow with the lights on.i started braking but they continuedo and from a point i could see they weren't looking in their mirror or even over their shoulder and kept reversing even though I had almost come to a stop?

I feel like reporting it to the gardai but think it will go nowhere, I'm so annoyed about it I want to insist it goes in the day log or whatever its called so something might be done or said, the drivers attitude earlier makes me not even give a damn if they got points if that happened.if they accept it was an error I'll leave it be and be thankful it wasn't worse
    If they deny it was a problem I think the only course is to report them??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Not being smart but I'm pretty sure I could top that any day of the week. Maybe your description doesn't do it justice. But youve clearly forgotten that once you get on your bike you become invisible.

Personally unless there was an accident I wouldn't do anything about it and put it down to experience.

Yeah, It happens to me once a day at least. My record was 4 times on one Saturday a few months ago. A guy in the right lane cut in front of me in the left lane to turn into a school . He just didn't see my fluorescent yellow helmet and jacket. I followed him in and as he and his kids were walking to the rugby pitch I stopped him, showed him a picture of my kids and told him he almost left them fatherless. He was genuinely stunned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I can see it doesnt seem that bad, it was as much their clueless annoyed looking reaction afterwards,
    they came so close and I knew they weren't looking and I could do nothing about it, it shouldn't surprise me, but they seemed to complete the entire reverse manuever without looking over their shoulder, when they were coming straight at me they weren't even looking in the mirror but still going in reverse, by the time they copped I was there theybhad oinly stopped as they were stopping anyway, it was just luck they didnt hit me. They looked at me in the mirror like I was an annoyance and they had every right to do what they did.

I only considered it later, but they seemed to think it was if I'd pulled up behind them and used the horn because they were in my way, rather than what happened that they were reversing at me without even looking.

I can see it doesn't seem bad, but out on the road I can get out of the way, here I'd had to stop to not drive into them as they reversed towards me, once stopped I could do nothing, I didn't have time to think I was going to get injured, but I thought the person was going to hit me and I was going to get knocked off the bike/over, as they just drove off either blindly ignorant of what they did wrong after giving their dissaproving look, I consider they would still have driven off had they hit me and probably left me there had I been injured.
    Anyone that reverses without taking significant care is a moron. I think I want a helmet cam.

I recommend getting an action cam, theres lots of reasonable options out now. I always use it on my commute.... Although most of the footage is self incriminating so I probably shouldn't :-P

zubair wrote: »
    I recommend getting an action cam, theres lots of reasonable options out now. I always use it on my commute.... Although most of the footage is self incriminating so I probably shouldn't :-P

Recommend yours? I saw one calls Möbius and it looked compact, go pro is too expensive andi think it looks to bulky. I probably won't go for a toocheap Chinese knockoff as I got a really cheap car one and it never worked properly.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cerastes wrote: »
    I think I want a helmet cam.
    Also think about a LOUD horn. And don't worry about using it for as long as it takes to penetrate their dozy skulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

I encounter idiots day after day on my travels. Very seldom do I go out one day, enjoy the ride and come back without having been almost murdered.. People texting, people on their mobiles, people not paying attention at all or just idiots on the road. Motorcyclists, no matter how high-viz'ed you are, no matter how much lights are on the bike, no matter how careful you are, you can never become complacent. There will always be idiots. In likeness with the guys above, I would strongly recommend an action cam of some sort as-well as a loud horn, a very loud one ( I'd personally recommend a Stebel Nautilus, seems to do the trick! ). If in the case that an idiotic driver puts your life in danger or you end up in a collision, the camera never lies and will show exactly what happened. The camera is my witness in all cases! I won't go out without it, EVER. It may seem a bit odd that I won't go out without it on but it puts me at ease on the road. As for confronting the individual in your case, if you feel it was serious enough to warrant a telling-off or a simple reminder to open their eyes, then rightly so, that's what they should get! But never let the rage get to you on the road and never lose your temper where possible. Try stay calm, it sinks into their head a lot better when you tell them off and you're sensible and informing instead of sounding like an angry dog with a noisey bark. Ride safe! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Loud cans save lives!

I have a yoshi exhaust on my bike and ensure everyone can hear it when I'm filtering through traffic.

Unfortunately hi-viz does fcuk all as most people don't use their mirrors anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

martomcg wrote: »
    Loud cans save lives!

I have a yoshi exhaust on my bike and ensure everyone can hear it when I'm filtering through traffic.

Interesting, can they hear that loud can when spin 1038 is blaring away in car......NOPE!

• Advertisement

DJDylan106 wrote: »
    I encounter idiots day after day on my travels. Very seldom do I go out one day, enjoy the ride and come back without having been almost murdered.. People texting, people on their mobiles, people not paying attention at all or just idiots on the road. Motorcyclists, no matter how high-viz'ed you are, no matter how much lights are on the bike, no matter how careful you are, you can never become complacent. There will always be idiots. In likeness with the guys above, I would strongly recommend an action cam of some sort as-well as a loud horn, a very loud one ( I'd personally recommend a Stebel Nautilus, seems to do the trick! ). If in the case that an idiotic driver puts your life in danger or you end up in a collision, the camera never lies and will show exactly what happened. The camera is my witness in all cases! I won't go out without it, EVER. It may seem a bit odd that I won't go out without it on but it puts me at ease on the road. As for confronting the individual in your case, if you feel it was serious enough to warrant a telling-off or a simple reminder to open their eyes, then rightly so, that's what they should get! But never let the rage get to you on the road and never lose your temper where possible. Try stay calm, it sinks into their head a lot better when you tell them off and you're sensible and informing instead of sounding like an angry dog with a noisey bark. Ride safe! :rolleyes:

I calmed down a lot before I said anything, there was no point in me lecturing them or ranting. I asked them if they knew what happened,that they were reversing and werent looking, they knew it occurred but didn't try explain it away, neither did they seem to care much, seemed unconcerned or unaware that it could have been worse, but apologised,
    I think they were in a hurry and I appreciate no one is perfect and there are lapses but to complete a full reverse manouever without looking backwards is dangerous, this person drove out like they took off forwards and could see where they were going, I'm just glad I was more alert but it still startled me, especially when the car didn't seem to be stopping.

Advertisement