Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopt a dog

• 29-04-2015 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Myself and herself are looking to adopt a dog. We've searched all the local Munster pet adoption sites we can see but throwing the net out a bit further and wondering if someone could help?

We have a nice home for a dog but its only a 3 bed semi detached in an estate so could only cater for a small dog.

A puppy would be great but any little guy or gal with a good termperment would be great. I kinda had my heart set on a yorkie poo or some kind of a mixed poodle...

Anyone got any links or know anyone looking to adopt out a dog.
    We are strictly not interested in puppy farms or anything of the sort but dont mind paying any amount to charity or vaccinate microchip our dog
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dr Nic wrote: »
    We have a nice home for a dog but its only a 3 bed semi detached in an estate so could only cater for a small dog.

Not necessarily - we live in a small terraced house and have 2 golden retrievers :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Ha ha i would love a big dog... I just dont think it would work though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Myself and herself are looking to adopt a dog. We've searched all the local Munster pet adoption sites we can see but throwing the net out a bit further and wondering if someone could help?

A puppy would be great but any little guy or gal with a good termperment would be great. I kinda had my heart set on a yorkie poo or some kind of a mixed poodle...

Anyone got any links or know anyone looking to adopt out a dog.
    We are strictly not interested in puppy farms or anything of the sort but dont mind paying any amount to charity or vaccinate microchip our dog
    Thanks!!

Don't let the size of your house restrict you if you like big dogs. All dogs, even Yorkies, will need to be walked at least twice a day so the size of your house, and even your garden is relatively irrelevant (obviously if you were in a 1-bedroom studio apartment, a Great Dane might not be a great idea).
    You'll often get mixed breed yorkies and similar into pounds and rescues. Be aware that a pup of any size is incredibly hard work. You will go through the chewing and biting stage, and toilet training can take months and even up to a year for a puppy to get the hang of! For a while (depending on age), you will need to get up in the middle of the night to let your pup outside - they won't be able to hold it all night, and putting down newspaper only teaches them it's alright to pee and poop inside the house! :D
    With rescues, some of them prefer someone to be home at least most of the time, and will require a fenced-in garden and assurance the dog will sleep indoors only. Some others would be short in supply of volunteers and might not update their Facebook pages too often, so driving down for a visit is the best way to meet some of the dogs - who tend to look much better in person when you can gauge the personality. Lastly, when choosing a rescue, I prefer those that at least have a foster programme - I find this is so important in rehoming stray and surrendered dogs as it gives the volunteers and potential new owners a proper idea of the dog's temperament in a relaxed family setting. My in-laws adopted a dog from a popular N/E rescue that does not have any foster facility in place and ended up with a dog exactly opposite to what was described as the dog's personality totally changed when he got comfy in a home and not in a kennel. Even better, if you had your eyes on a particular dog in a foster-friendly rescue, you could in fact offer to foster him/her. Basically meaning that, for free, you get to try the dog out in your home, sometimes with free food and bedding as well (depending on the rescue's resources). If it doesn't work out, you can give the dog back, and the volunteers are only too delighted that they know more about the dog, and you've saved them a fortune on housing costs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

At the risk of being a buzz kill, the type of dogs you're interested in are exactly the type of dog that puppy mills are creating. Yorkie Poos and Labradoodles, etc. Reputable breeders don't mix breeds. If you want to adopt there are several hundred dogs currently in care with rescues all over the country after being rescued from a single puppy mill in Carlow that will all require homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My friend has two German Shepherds... and she lives in an apartment lol, don't let size hold you back! There isn't much difference when it comes to looking after a small dog versus a large dog, they both require daily exercise and mental stimulation. The only significant difference is cost.

Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to poodle mixes (which in this country seem to be a popular 'product' out of puppymills), is that they often come with a requirement to be groomed every 6 weeks or so, if that's something that isn't kept up whether by a professional or yourself you have to be aware that a matted dog is a moody and miserable dog! That's something to consider when it comes to your finances as well.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

At the risk of being a buzz kill, the type of dogs you're interested in are exactly the type of dog that puppy mills are creating. Yorkie Poos and Labradoodles, etc. Reputable breeders don't mix breeds. If you want to adopt there are several hundred dogs currently in care with rescues all over the country after being rescued from a single puppy mill in Carlow that will all require homes.

But the OP is trying to adopt, not support BYB.

OP, try talk to a few rescues and see what they suggest in terms dogs they have in their care that would suit you. Not all dogs conform to their breed reputation!

But the OP is trying to adopt, not support BYB.

OP, try talk to a few rescues and see what they suggest in terms dogs they have in their care that would suit you. Not all dogs conform to their breed reputation!

That isn't how I read the post. Of all the dogs in all the rescues, including the pound, in Munster, the OP is saying that they can't find a dog that they like, despite saying that they don't mind what type of dog it is. They then describe exactly the sort of dogs that they really want and that sort of dog/pup would exist because of puppy farming. A more sceptical person might think that they were looking for a specific puppy mill 'breed', without having to use a puppy mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Best of luck OP with your adoption search.

Oh and, I read the post as two people who are holding out for a dog that meets their needs, and a dog they know they will be able to care for. Nothing at all wrong with that. Someone who is doing their research and asking for advise on boards does not scream puppy mill to me. I hope you manage to find a rescue dog, whatever the bread and give it a good life.

Kurn wrote: »
    Best of luck OP with your adoption search.

Oh and, I read the post as two people who are holding out for a dog that meets their needs, and a dog they know they will be able to care for. Nothing at all wrong with that. Someone who is doing their research and asking for advise on boards does not scream puppy mill to me. I hope you manage to find a rescue dog, whatever the bread and give it a good life.

Really? Any breed crossed with a poodle meets their needs and shows someone doing their research:rolleyes: We'll have to agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Really? Any breed crossed with a poodle meets their needs and shows someone doing their research:rolleyes: We'll have to agree to disagree.

Sorry - my bad, I misread the post, I thought he said they were looking to adopt a dog.

Which, I read as helping/adopting a dog that needs a home...Mistreated/abandoned yorkie poo's need love too. :rolleyes:

As I said best of luck OP:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks,
    That's more than enough squabbling.
    I don't want to see this argument being added to any further. Back on topic now.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

OP, it might be helpful if you let people know how much home time you have, how active your household is and whether you have children (and ages).

If the poodle component to your ideal dog is down to shedding or allergies, be aware that not all mixed offspring will be low shedding or low allergen. Additionally, there are a number of other breeds which tend to shed very little and might also be compatible with your lifestyle/requirements. Also bear in mind that lower shedding types may need a lot more expenditure in terms of professional grooming on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

OP - Im going to assume you have done all your research re dog ownership and what type of dog suits your requirements.

Given that a lot of the rescues have taken in a large number of dogs from a puppy farm why don't you contact those rescues that have these dogs and see if they have one that suits. I don't believe the breed or bred type you are looking for will be hard to find.

I wont mention the rescues as we cant name individual rescues by name on this forum but it wont take you too long to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

I don't know anything about Munster as regards rescue centres.

If there are a few places why don't you just wait a while. It won't be long before dogs of the type you are looking for come in at some stage. Ring them and ask how frequently the type of dog you are looking for comes in.

Pups need time and attention but at least you have a bit of a chance at moulding their personality to some extent.

Terrier type dogs tend to be a bit more wired than say a cavalier king charles dog. I don't know much about yorkies but I have seen lovely ones and yappy annoying ones. I suppose it's the way they are treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I think the web can both a help and hinderance in finding a pet as you can check sites for a lot of different rescues but going just on an image is really misleading. I went to look at a dog that I'd seen on a website and found she was much bigger than I had expected from the photo. I had previously told them what type (as in personality/size/age) of dog I thought I could take and what kind of home I could offer them and they actually had another dog there that they thought would suit me better anyway and they were right. The funny thing is I had seen her on the website as well but only when I saw her in doggy 'person' I immediately knew she was the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FergusGannon

I have a friend with a cockerpoo, 22 months, 2 in July.
    chipped and neutered, house trained too.
    Send me a message if you're still looking.
    based in Skerries, Co. Dublin

Advertisement