Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage calculator accurate?

Options
  • 29-04-2015 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Just wondering how accurate are those online calculators are?

Has anyone used them online and said they would be given x amount and then gone into the bank and were offered more or less then what the calculator stated?

Is the general rule 3.5 times your annual salary?

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

dunner515 wrote: »

Officially yes, depending on a case by case basis there may be some leeway. Also depends on the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rmactier

dunner515 wrote: »
    Just wondering how accurate are those online calculators are?

Has anyone used them online and said they would be given x amount and then gone into the bank and were offered more or less then what the calculator stated?

Thanks for any replies

The calculators online are giving the best case scenario. Every one I tried was saying in the 230k+ range but reality is more like 140k. Best is to talk to someone in the bank and let them know repayment capacity and such and you'll get better. I did that and went from 245k online down to 135k then back upto 180k when I talked to someone.

General rile from the central bank is 3.5% but they are allowed to go up to 4.5% if they feel you can repay it safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We were offered less than the online calculator said I think - this was before the new deposit/salary rules came in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Those calculators tend not to account for things like dependents, existing debt, types of employment or treatment of incomes.

Advertisement