Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT re test failed on high emissions

• 29-04-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

hi.had a retest today n fail on high idle
    CO 0.28 vol% (limits 0.20%) !! On test i had 0.88% the mechanic fixed all what was needed and failed again on this only.. is there any option to obey the mechanic and pay lots of money? What about dipetane? ! Is it good for this type of? Im soo disappointed:/ please for help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wonder what car model and year this is about?
    Is there any work done on engine in the last years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

High CO usually means its running rich.

What was the lambda reading???

If the lambda is OK, and it is fully serviced, I'd say the cat is dead, especially if the low idle CO level is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 xsw23edc

The mechanic said cat is changed:/
    on full test co was 0.88 and on re test was 0.24. limits not more than 0.20... theres a diferent so something was done:/ the mechanic was doing something with the engine too.. im seriously disappointed now and dont know what to.do.

It's running rich somehow.

What's the hc, lambda and low idle co values?

HIGH IDLE LAMBDA 1.01 (pass)
    CO 0.28VOL% (fail)
    HC 21PPM. (Pass)

• Advertisement

Was it a new or second hand cat?

I dont know..on the bill i can see i paid 230e. I dont know is that for new one or used one....

Seems very cheap if its a new one, what car/engine is it?

Its 1.6

mullingar wrote: »
    Seems very cheap if its a new one, what car/engine is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

you not answered make and model, ford? i would be trying cataclean in a 1/4 tank of fuel and get emissions checked in local garage,

Sorry guys im just a girl:(
    so its hyundai coupe 1.6 2003
    i have no idea about the cars:/ yday took the car from garage.. i have a recipe. .i paid for new cat and something with the engine also was done... still didnt pass.. emision..
    I dont know what to do.. go back to mechanoc and fight?! i domt think so he could charge me and not put new cat... seriously disappointed

Contact your mechanic and ask was it a new or second hand cat.

If its second hand than maybe that's the problem? If yes do i have to pay the full price for the new one to him? It might be a problem with engine I have heard From other people. If yes than is it gonna cos me huge money?
    Put already a bit of money to sell it now without ncy for few euros :/

Find out what exactly was replaced first.

Ok. So you advise me to go to different mechanik and find out

No, find out exactly what the €230 mechanic did first

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

A friend of mine has an 02 C class Mercedes (petrol), which also had a problem with emissions.

Got a Terra Clean job done (€120, I think) and the problem was sorted. Claims the car is going much better too.

No idea if it works for diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

xsw23edc wrote: »
    Sorry guys im just a girl:(

Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

How long did you drive the car before the test? A good spin bringing the engine fully up to temperature can make a difference. If the NCT tested the engine cold, it could have effected the test.

Ask the mechanic did he test the emissions on his diagnostic computer? If you brought the car to him and explained that it failed emissions and he did work to fix the emissions, then surely he would have tested it to know that the work he did fixed it. If he didn't do that, I'd find a better mechanic.

The margin of failure is probably a little too high for dipetane to work for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

a car cannot fail the emission test because its cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

OSI wrote: »
    I am 100% confident a Terraclean cost me €450 in a replacement intake manifold.
    how when why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

how long ago was car serviced ,thinking correct grade of oil 5w.30 oil filter air filter and new spark plugs,throttle body clean can all help in lowering emissions, how do you drive car slow/fast and short trips to shops or m50 driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭monara

My Merc c180 has also failed the NCT on emissions. My mechanic told me to drive car hard in 3rd gear for 80 miles a day before test and to drive in 2nd for 8 miles to test centre. Still failed. Now he tells me to add dipetane to fuel and go for retest and that driving hard will make no difference. Will appreciate any advice before my retest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Just holding high revs won't do much good. You have to be under load and under power to generate good combustion heat. Driving wide-open throttle and high revs.

Clean the MAF. Check for **** in the air-filter. Check the sparkplugs are OK. Take the thing for a rip between some roundabouts late in the evening, or along some backroads. Just boot the bejaysus out of it for a bit and clear the **** out.

Dipetane can help too.

Italian tune is always the first place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

1.04 on high idle. 1.03 was max allowed.

Thanks for responding

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

Who dug up this Zombie thread????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

I find using clean drive is much better

Thanks for all advice. I will try CleanDrive and hope for the best.

Advertisement