Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all tech wizards

Options
  • 29-04-2015 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi there,

So im using Sky Broad brand whilst playing Ps3 and while playing the lag is SO unbelievably bad i have to rage quit and turn the Ps3 off.

I'm playing Black Ops 2 recently and it's a constant battle to enjoy it.
    Theres a lot of people in my house on phones and watching videos etc.

My NAT Type is 2 which is Moderate on Black Ops 2 i REALLY REALLY need a break from internet problems because it ruins EVERYTHING.

Please help, pretty please :o

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

HonestCry wrote: »
    Hi there,

So im using Sky Broad brand whilst playing Ps3 and while playing the lag is SO unbelievably bad i have to rage quit and turn the Ps3 off.

My NAT Type is 2 which is Moderate on Black Ops 2 i REALLY REALLY need a break from internet problems because it ruins EVERYTHING.

Are you wired or using wifi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭HonestCry

F1ngers wrote: »
    Are you wired or using wifi?

Wifi and I know wired is better but I have problems either way..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hi there,

My guess would be that theres too many people using the wifi and the modem can't take it, go too speedtest.net and tell us what your download speed is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

As one of the lads said multiple connections can sometimes be too much for some routers. Try asking everyone in the house to not use the net for half an hour and test and see if its improved.

Have you forwarded ports? Although its a pain it really should be done if using wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

WiFi is unreliable, when it works it's great but when it doesn't it can be a nightmare to get around the problem once you discover it.

You need to be hard wired into the modem. If the location of the modem makes this impossible maybe consider a set of powerline network hubs that work through the power sockets in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

EoinHef wrote: »
    Have you forwarded ports? Although its a pain it really should be done if using wifi

Is it tricky to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Is it tricky to do that?

Select your modem make / model and there is fairly comprehensive instructions:

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/PlayStation_Network/

Its well worth the bit of time it takes learning how to do it. Once your understand it you should be able to do it on most devices and routers as the same principles apply and its only really the menu layout of each router/device that will change.

Its actually easier to set up a static IP on consoles than on most devices. Its the forwarding of the ports to the console that people usually struggle with in my experience.

Home plugs are a good idea also,first though id try testing with only the PS3 on the network and after that port forwarding if you still were not happy as they dont cost anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Qos on you router should sort it no? Guarantee you a certain amount / priority of bandwidth

penev10 wrote: »
    Qos on you router should sort it no? Guarantee you a certain amount / priority of bandwidth

What exactly is 'Qos'?

• Advertisement

As one of the lads said multiple connections can sometimes be too much for some routers. Try asking everyone in the house to not use the net for half an hour and test and see if its improved.

While everyone was asleep last night i played a couple of games and it was perfect, had no problems at all.

I watched a video to see any change in the connection and it altered the connection dramatically and i was unable to play.

Its well worth the bit of time it takes learning how to do it. Once your understand it you should be able to do it on most devices and routers as the same principles apply and its only really the menu layout of each router/device that will change.

Its actually easier to set up a static IP on consoles than on most devices. Its the forwarding of the ports to the console that people usually struggle with in my experience.

Home plugs are a good idea also,first though id try testing with only the PS3 on the network and after that port forwarding if you still were not happy as they dont cost anything.

I have Sky Broad band i doesn't show up in the list of providers to choose from..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

what speeds are you getting?

how congested is your BB?

wired is always gonna be better but depending on how congested your bb is it's be awful at peak times (when people get home from work)

I have Sky Broad band i doesn't show up in the list of providers to choose from..

Its not the provider your looking for,its the brand and model of the router/modem you need for portforward.com.

The make and model should be somewhere on the sky hub.

Thats what makes portforward.com the preferred guide,it will give you instructions for your specific router.

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    what speeds are you getting?

how congested is your BB?

wired is always gonna be better but depending on how congested your bb is it's be awful at peak times (when people get home from work)

My Ping is 344ms

My Download Speed is 0.77mbps

My Upload Speed is 0.12mbps

My Ping is 344ms

My Download Speed is 0.77mbps

My Upload Speed is 0.12mbps

you're lucky you can even sign into the network with those speeds

you're lucky you can even sign into the network with those speeds

lol i had a feeling you'd say that.. but what can i do to increase the speeds?

i am so close to kicking the modem out the window :mad:

lol i had a feeling you'd say that.. but what can i do to increase the speeds?

i am so close to kicking the modem out the window :mad:

who's your isp?

if they can't give you an upgrade then short of home plugs or wired connection there's not much you can do, to be honest

who's your isp?

if they can't give you an upgrade then short of home plugs or wired connection there's not much you can do, to be honest

Sky :confused: its so frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Holy crap, what's the ping at night time?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Holy crap, what's the ping at night time?

Why? lol :P

Why? lol :P
    If it takes longer for you to get a response from a server at an unconjested time than for me to read your post you've got a serious problem with your connection.

TheChizler wrote: »
    If it takes longer for you to get a response from a server at an unconjested time than for me to read your post you've got a serious problem with your connection.

I guess so lol im trying to set up an open port and static ip as we speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I had horribly similar problems with Sky broadband ...
    Pings in the 500's
    Download speed supposed to be 5mg and on a good day I was getting 1.1 on the frequent bad days as low as 0.05
    Called them, trouble shooting and whatnot... Got it temporarily to 2.xx with a new router and a few tweaks... But within a week or so it was back to the previous.
    Up until that point I had nothing but good things to say about Sky broadband. Problem free for 2 years previously but those few months were a nightmare.
    That they couldn't get me sorted and combined with Sky not knowing exactly when they could start providing Fibre (they are now but weren't at the time) meant I was forced to skip over to Vodafone.
    You need to look at a fibre option is my advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More than likely it's the wifi. Had the same problem with a router downstairs. Terrible lag and frequent disconnects despite the line quality being excellent. I got some LAN home plugs and ever since the connection has been excellent. Home plugs basically run the wired connection through the houses electrical sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Make sure you are close to the router if on wifi, plug in if with the ethernet cable if you can .

Call Sky and tell them about the speed test. Youd be better off calling them instead of dicking around, especially if you dont know what you are doing.

If plugging in directly to the router is not an option buy a powerline ethernet adapter. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/3490638/15-best-powerline-adapters-2015-uk/

Deffo gonna be better than wifi

Also what package are you paying for with SKY? what DL speed are they advertising?

thorbarry wrote: »
    Also what package are you paying for with SKY? what DL speed are they advertising?
    Or more relevantly; telling you is possible!

Advertisement