Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legitimate Argentinian war helmets??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they were just the US M1 helmet. Not sure if you are going to be able to tell if they were argentinian issue. i dont remember that helmet cover being used by the argies in the falklands. that was a US only thing.

Correction: the first link shows a plain green helmet cover. so possibly argentinian but no way to be sure. the price is ridiculous though

i would also be very dubious of any claims of battle damage

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Did you see what that helmet just fetched :eek:£705:eek:
    To think, I messaged the seller to ask for any evidence, and they said they could not provide any! Can't believe what people pay based on a story. Perverse to want it if(big if) it was real anyway imo.
    I have checked the other out and that seems to be the real McCoy, the name in the hat matches a Argentine soldier who was in the war, a Sgt Majors.
    GUYET, Carlos Joaquin - Doc.: 5273682 - grado: Subof My
    http://www.mindef.gov.ar/mindef_malvinas/resultado_vet_guerra_eje_tot.html?a=1
    Still a rake of money even at the start price, but suppose compared the jackanory helmet, it looks cheap.

that price is crazy. unreal. if you want some info on what to look for take a look here. Supposedly genuine argie helmets have a telltale spot weld mark to look for.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-steel-helmets/falklands-war-argie-helmet-369606/

Interesting, Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Last time but one I was there, there was a pile of about two thousand of them, many with elasticated scrim net holders on them. A good few of them were converted into p*ss pots by the locals, the rest were piled up for scrap. If anybody had offered £700 or so they could have had all of them to take away...

A lot of Argentinian helmets, in addition to the 'telltale spot weld mark', also have holes in them that we put there. With quite a few, the hole is so big that there is no helmet left around it - they are VERY hard to find.

Needless to say, many of us have totally 100% AUTHENTIC souvenirs of the FW, even if, like me, they weren't actually there when it happened. I have a very rare collection of hard-to-find bullet holes retrieved from the air over Bluff Cove, carefully teased into a bottle. It's yours for just 50eu post paid.

tac

that price is crazy. unreal. if you want some info on what to look for take a look here. Supposedly genuine argie helmets have a telltale spot weld mark to look for.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-steel-helmets/falklands-war-argie-helmet-369606/

Thanks again for that, it led to the answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Call me gullible if you like, but I'm still eagerly awaiting to be advised of the connection between Argentina and the Vietnam war.

tac

Advertisement