Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yellow Jacket Anti Sweat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A Gabba 2 convertible could be an option.

Although I suspect a long sleeve jersey and under layers would be sufficient for this time of year if it was just the cold you were trying to fight while not being too hot at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

Although I suspect a long sleeve jersey and under layers would be sufficient for this time of year if it was just the cold you were trying to fight while not being too hot at the same time.

Can you point me a link for the second option, since I'm not sure what you're talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

tendjose wrote: »
    Can you point me a link for the second option, since I'm not sure what you're talking about?

Alanstrainor means layering up (correct me if I am wrong).

So you would wear a base layer and a long sleve jersey. This week some may find it a little cold. I threw on the jacket myself.

The Gabba is an expensive piece of kit, but if you can afford it and put it to good use, then go for it ;)

I have this jacket here Endura Gridlock and I am quite happy with it. I did spend more than what's advertised in that link though ;). There's vents in the back and you there's zips in the pits if you are getting really warm. All winter (and this week) I wore this with a technical tshirt and a long sleeve running top, nice and toasty.

Alanstrainor means layering up (correct me if I am wrong).

So you would wear a base layer and a long sleve jersey. This week some may find it a little cold. I threw on the jacket myself.

The Gabba is an expensive piece of kit, but if you can afford it and put it to good use, then go for it ;)

I have this jacket here Endura Gridlock and I am quite happy with it. I did spend more than what's advertised in that link though ;). There's vents in the back and you there's zips in the pits if you are getting really warm. All winter (and this week) I wore this with a technical tshirt and a long sleeve running top, nice and toasty.

But is the Base layet my normal clothes? Because I just want to put thr jacket on and don't change clothes....

But is the Base layet my normal clothes? Because I just want to put thr jacket on and don't change clothes....

Well the base layer is generally made from a wicking material. This is going to get the sweat away from your body. If you are wearing cotton, the cotton will hold onto the sweat and nothing is going to help with that.

I think it will be quite difficult to just put on a jacket and not sweat. Do you have changing facilities in work? Would you consider wearing clothes for cycling and chaning into your normal clothes at your destination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Lads, the chap is looking for a hi vis jacket to cycle to work and town etc in, hes not looking for racing gear and layering up with a gabba jacket etc.

Anything lighter by Altura or the likes should be fine and available in any local bike shop.

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    Lads, the chap is looking for a hi vis jacket to cycle to work and town etc in, hes not looking for racing gear and layering up with a gabba jacket etc.

Anything lighter by Altura or the likes should be fine and available in any local bike shop.

This looks like is it by the customer reviews (search for the word sweat on the following link):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Altura-Night-Vision-Jkt-Yellow/dp/B00CJBCKX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430433690&sr=8-1&keywords=Altura+yellow+jacket

Just looks too expensive. Anything cheaper that is not water proof and not sweatty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

bwalsh1983 wrote: »

We are trying to be helpful and offer some different options based on our experience. There's no need to call people out it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,782 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Altura Night Vision are on sale for 70 in cycleways on Parnell street. Think they have them in blue and possibly red. Good reflective jacket, keeps you dry, shouldn't sweat too much and pockets galore. You can open side pockets to et air at back.

Also if you're using a backpack that will make you sweat much more I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Weepsie wrote: »
    Altura Night Vision are on sale for 70 in cycleways on Parnell street. Think they have them in blue and possibly red. Good reflective jacket, keeps you dry, shouldn't sweat too much and pockets galore. You can open side pockets to et air at back.

I have one of these...great jacket and i dont use it anymore.(in fact id say i used it less than 5 times)
    Its Blue and its either a medium or large.
    Id be willing to sell it if your interested.
    Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

This confirms it, we're out of the recession and back in the boom times again. :)

I'm just finding strange that Cycleways has a cheaper price than Amazon.uk
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Altura-Night-Vision-Jacket-Black/dp/B00AYBWGX4

Are we talking about the same jacket?

I personally find that for the most part Amazon is rubbish for comparing cycling product prices. It might have been the first gen Night Vision jacket, and it was definitely 70.

You could always ring them ahead of time to make sure. Outside chance it was the jersey, but pretty sure it was a jacket as I have one myself. As it was a sale item so probably stock they're trying to shift before new stuff comes in end of Summer.

Night Vision jackets have been on offer for 55 from Wiggle before I recall in the last year, but prices have gone back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

What's the difference between the basic Altura Night Vision jacket and the Evo model - about £30 dearer?

RainyDay wrote: »
    What's the difference between the basic Altura Night Vision jacket and the Evo model - about £30 dearer?

Very good question!

Links for both:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJBCKX8?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

I was today in Cycleways and there was only one yellow left by 70€, and it was XL size and not the EVO model.

Personally, I check the prices of everything in Amazon.UK not only for bike stuff and things in Amazon sometimes cost 10 times cheaper and from the same brand! If I can wait one week for delivery, even if I have to use a parcel motel to reduce delivery costs, that's what I do! Prices in shops in Dublin city center are a ripoff even when compared to prices in shops in cities like Galway, I talk by experience.

The EVO has an LED light in the back, and more reflective material on it I believe and is newer. Otherwise it's much the same.

You'll find that even if the exchange wasn't awful, the Amazon price there would be more than the one I had. They had a whole rail of them the other day so someone must have thought it was a decent price. Halfords are doing 3 for 2 today, so you can get stuff there too if that helps.

The EVO has an LED light in the back, and more reflective material on it I believe and is newer. Otherwise it's much the same.

You'll find that even if the exchange wasn't awful, the Amazon price there would be more than the one I had. They had a whole rail of them the other day so someone must have thought it was a decent price. Halfords are doing 3 for 2 today, so you can get stuff there too if that helps.

You'll find that even if the exchange wasn't awful, the Amazon price there would be more than the one I had.

That's not true. The exchange rate in this case causes the problem and they were 100€ (they're in a promotion for some reason).
    If you use parcel motel you get free devilery.

Anyway in halfords the model is the Blitz model (inferior model), so the only way to get it now and for my size is amazon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The non-Evo model has a light also;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJBCKX8?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

"Integrated rear i-Lume LED, Critically positioned highly reflective trim for 360o visibility, Main: 100% "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If the lad wants a hi viz jacket, why not get one for a fiver, or free when the cops are handing them out

If he wants a raincoat to use when it's not raining and not sweat in, the op needs to ask why

• Advertisement

If the lad wants a hi viz jacket, why not get one for a fiver, or free when the cops are handing them out

If he wants a raincoat to use when it's not raining and not sweat in, the op needs to ask why

Very true I just want visibility.

Where can I get those for a fiver?

Fu** it!

Got this one by 32euro including currency conversion and delivery using parcel motel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E8HVGQ8

Why buy gold when you don't need it? That's what pisses me off is that Dublin shops only sell gold even when you just need copper!!!

Fu** it!

Got this one by 32euro including currency conversion and delivery using parcel motel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E8HVGQ8

Why buy gold when you don't need it? That's what pisses me off is that Dublin shops only sell gold even when you just need copper!!!

Its 24 euro in mountain warehouse. There stuff is okay. They've a few more cycling specific jackets, but anti sweat not so much

Its 24 euro in mountain warehouse. There stuff is okay. They've a few more cycling specific jackets, but anti sweat not so much

I have to vouch you for that. I cancelled my Amazon order and you saved me 3€ :D

It's 29€ including delivery and that's what I need, no need to spend 70€ in Cycleways ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Very true I just want visibility.

Where can I get those for a fiver?

Lidl on Greenhills road had them for 3 or 4 euros today. They're light, offer little or no weather protection, but you put it on over whatever clothes you are wearing anyway

I presume other lidl's have them too. I turn on flashing led lights front and back when cycling in the city for visibility too.

Advertisement