Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sepultura 30th Anniversary

• 29-04-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭

It's been 30 years since Seps put out their first material in the form of Bestial Devastation which is now bonus tracks on the Morbid Visions album.

Paulo Jr the only current member to play on it although Andreas Kisser was in for Schizophrenia not long after and sent the band (Along with the Cavalera bros. Max and Igor) into a more thrash than death metal direction.

This era lasted around 10 years and was the most successful in the bands history.

Max quit the band in 1996 although unclear why its believed it was because the other band members wanted his wife who was the bands manager to be fired. Max formed Soulfly whose first 3 albums at least sounded like a continuation of Seps Roots album.

Max was replaced by Derrick Green whose first task was to sing an album that had already been written. Max didnt speak to his brother Igor who continued in Sepultura for another 10 years leaving in 2006. The brothers then reconciled and formed Cavalera Conspiracy in 2007.

Seems a number of fans deserted Sepultura prefering Max projects although now Soulfly have ran up more lineup changes than Seps themselves and Max is the only original member; the same people might tell ya no Max no Sepultura. :pac:

I First heard Seps myself on a Drilling the Vein VHS and went out and bought Chaos A.D. then proceeded to check out their other works. True Against & Nation are borderline turds but what they've released since has been decent Dante XXI and Kairos probably being the pick of the bunch.

Seen them live a number of times and always put on a show and a half and as they are gigging here again in August it would be wrong not to go. Many Sepultura fans still about?
    SEPULTURA 30th Anniversary Tour hitting Dublin August 10th! Expect rarely played tracks along with all the classics! Support from WARPATH & BLACK SKIES BURN. Event page @ https://www.facebook.com/events/741660472576744/

Tickets

Brazilian metal icons SEPULTURA are celebrating their 30th anniversary by releasing a special tribute to their fans! The band have asked fans to contribute to the artwork for a new track....
    and here is the result: “SEPULTURA UNDER MY SKIN”

The artwork of this historical release is created by the tattoos of SEPULTURA fans all over the world.

“SEPULTURA UNDER MY SKIN” will be released June 05, 2015 on colored vinyl and can be ordered here:
    http://nblast.de/SEPULTURAUnderMySkin

In 2015, SEPULTURA is also proud to announce their “30th ANNIVERSARY TOUR”. They’re unstoppable! After touring Russia - from West to far East, in 17 epic performances - and taking the celebration of their 30 years to North America (including the first Rock in Rio USA of all time), the mighty SEPULTURA is ready to hit the road and thrash the world once again!

SEPULTURA’s 30th anniversary tour has been a very special moment. The band travels through their magnificent history. As Russians, Americans and Canadians have already experienced the die-hard European fans will be able to get a unique gig.

“We will be playing songs that we normally don't perform so all you hardcore fans will not want to miss the surprises”, says Derrick.

Celebrating their glorious history, the Brazilian masters have been touring on behalf of their own splendid career. Derrick calls the fans for this unmissable tour.

“Come join us and be a part of this special moment in our career. We look forward to seeing you all there!”

Don’t miss it:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It's an odd one, I was a huge Seps fan, and still am, but only for the Max era, can't stand the Derrick stuff.

Seen them many times with Max, The last being 2 days before they split, was at Manchester Apollo, was right at the front and the pit was INSANE, the band were just on fire, so fcukin tight it was unreal, they went to London the next day and that was it :mad:

The oddest i've ever seen them was in '96 at Donington, it was announced just before they came on that Max's stepson Dana had been killed and that Max had flown back to the U.S. As a mark of respect to the fans and Dana the band would continue with Andreas on vocals, that show was something else, so emotional, the crowd helping him with every word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Beneath The Remains is a classic in my books, bought it on release. Such was the hype when it came out it really propelled the band into the superstar bracket.
    Their earlier albums were decent too and Arise was quite good but dated quickly enough as did Chaos AD. Lost interest in them when Roots came out and the rockstar thing really messed up Max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seen them many times with Max, The last being 2 days before they split, was at Manchester Apollo, was right at the front and the pit was INSANE, the band were just on fire, so fcukin tight it was unreal, they went to London the next day and that was it :mad:
    Savage ya lucky fecker, ya the London show following that is the Under the Pale Grey Sky album release, Roadrunner released it to get Sepultura out of album contract or something along those lines. Have you witnessed them live with Derrick at all even though yer not keen on stuff on record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Savage ya lucky fecker, ya the London show following that is the Under the Pale Grey Sky album release, Roadrunner released it to get Sepultura out of album contract or something along those lines. Have you witnessed them live with Derrick at all even though yer not keen on stuff on record?

Wasn't keen on them with derrick on record, never seen a Seps headline show with him but seen them a few times at festivals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

buck65 wrote: »
    Beneath The Remains is a classic in my books, bought it on release. Such was the hype when it came out it really propelled the band into the superstar bracket.
    Their earlier albums were decent too and Arise was quite good but dated quickly enough as did Chaos AD. Lost interest in them when Roots came out and the rockstar thing really messed up Max.

Epic Album, I remember cutting out the cover from a tshirt and getting the mother to stick it to an old jacket I had.. I felt like the king of the world :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

huge fan back in the day,although never a concert goer,not a big fan of big shows,like the poster above a fan of the max era,some soulfly stuff is decent too ..

wish i were back then now again lol,discovering metal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I want to like Green era Sepultura, and every now and then I'll try, but it just never clicks. I'm not sure he's the problem though. I find it all a bit samey and monotone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Seen em in the SFX back in the early 90's. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I want to like Green era Sepultura, and every now and then I'll try, but it just never clicks. I'm not sure he's the problem though. I find it all a bit samey and monotone.

I saw them for the first time way back in 1990 in the Top Hat. Managed to meet them and get autographs as well at the back of the venue (they were the days! before paid meet and greets). The gig was brilliant, there are some live cassette versions still knocking around.

Next time I saw them was a few years later in the SFX when Andreas played with a broken arm (it was wired up with an external metal brace)!

The last time I saw them was as support to In Flames in 2006. The first time seeing them with Derrick Green and I think Roy Mayorga (Stone Sour) filled in on drums as Igor was in the process of leaving the band.

Whatever about the new post-Max music I do think that Derrick Green is an excellent front man. I think the problem, as Sentient said above, is the "samey monotone" sound and that's because there's only one guitarist. Maybe Andreas doesn't want to share the glory but they seriously need a second guitarist to fill out the sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

August 10th, a Monday, ffs.

Hopefully Max comes to Ireland in some shape or other this year too.

• Advertisement

Steve Vai joined them onstage towards the end of their set at Rock in Rio Festival in Las Vegas the other night, performed a Kaiowas/Bad Horsie medley aswell as Roots Bloody Roots.

Tonight!! Getting in the mood for this now, sets have been changing a lot seem to be playing tracks off every single release apart from A-Lex and Nation.

dKFB5hT.jpg

01. Machine Messiah
    02. I Am The Enemy
    03. Phantom Self
    04. Alethea
    05. Iceberg Dances
    06. Sworn Oath
    07. Resistant Parasites
    08. Silent Violence
    09. Vandals Nest
    10. Cyber God

Out later this month (13th) New track is fairly solid IMO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Was always a fan of the likes of Chaos AD, Arise and Roots, but could never get into the post-Max stuff like many on here.

Here does anyone remember they were meant to play the tatoo the planet gig back in 2001 (along with Pantera, Slayer Biohazard and Cradle of Filth, among others) in the point? The gig was postponed due to 9/11 cancelling flights, so it eventually took place the next spring (without Pantera unfortunately). Anyway, Sepultura had to pull out because Igor broke his wrist the day before. I remember during Cradle of Filth Dani goes "So after the delay we have finally made it... Sepultura didn't turn up however, and I think that's Ruuuude, Bloody ruuuuude"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Was always a fan of the likes of Chaos AD, Arise and Roots, but could never get into the post-Max stuff like many on here.

Here does anyone remember they were meant to play the tatoo the planet gig back in 2001 (along with Pantera, Slayer Biohazard and Cradle of Filth, among others) in the point? The gig was postponed due to 9/11 cancelling flights, so it eventually took place the next spring (without Pantera unfortunately). Anyway, Sepultura had to pull out because Igor broke his wrist the day before. I remember during Cradle of Filth Dani goes "So after the delay we have finally made it... Sepultura didn't turn up however, and I think that's Ruuuude, Bloody ruuuuude"

Sepultura were not on the lineup to start, they replaced Pantera when they pulled out after 9/11... and then on the day they pulled out also.

Good gig.. Cradle of Filth were mostly boo'd off stage :)

Times for tonights show (previous announced times have been revised)

Doors 5.30
    Aborted 6.10
    Soilwork 6.50
    Sepultura 7.50
    Kreator 9.10 - 10.40
    (subject to change)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Enjoyed the sepultura set... Pity it wasn't 90mins. Sounded really good IMO.

Amazing sound for Seps tonight in the Tivoli so so for the supports but enjoyed Goatwhore missed Fit For An Autopsy. The Against stiff was actually great few tickets left I believe but pretty packed house.

Advertisement