Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blackbirds nesting in overgrown ivy

Options
  • 29-04-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I have overgrown ivy on the back wall of my garden (15 foot high and 4 foot deep) It's blocking the sun at the end of the garden. I wanted to remove it by chopping the main vine just above the soil with an axe and then hack it back with machete.

However I noticed that there are blackbirds nesting in there. The female is very active in and out of the Plant.

should I leave it till September (or later?) before chopping the ivy down? Don't want to disturb the birds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Absolutely do the right thing and postpone until September

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

1st of September is when farmers and local CC's can start trimming hedgerow I believe. I'd leave it till then. You're lucky and you're garden is a proper attractive garden for wildlife. Hope you don't have to many feral cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭OUTOFSYNC

I guess I'll leave it Til September. The neighbours might not be too happy As the ivy keeps creeping into their gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Yes wait till september, but you could however cut the main stem at ground level in late july. It will survive well enough through august and into september to provide cover for the birds, but should be easier to remove

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OUTOFSYNC wrote: »
    I guess I'll leave it Til September. The neighbours might not be too happy As the ivy keeps creeping into their gardens.

Well done you and more important to be mindful of nesting birds than any disgruntled neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Two years ago we removed the old hen run at the end of the garden, and to our horror found a robin's nest full of babies. Put it in the fork of a tree, hoping it would be sheltered. All babies were missing the next day, except for one that had been stung to death by a wasp and was still there, grotesquely dead. Don't touch that ivy yet.

Advertisement