Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Braces & Dickie Bow?

• 30-04-2015 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭

Hi ladies/gents,

Not sure if this should go here or not, but I'm putting it here anyway :P

Question, family wedding this summer, want to move away from the whole tie scenario. Have the idea in my head about braces and a dickie bow. Thinking a darkish red for both. I know there's certain fashion no no's, and I'm fairly up to date with most of them, but make sure to tell me if I'm committing any crimes!

Anyway, whatever I'm wearing will be going with a navy-ish suit, and brown brogue type shoes. Any colour that would go particularly well with said suit? 3 piece or 2 piece? White shirt? Socks to match the tie, or is that too much? What type braces, X shape, Y shape etc... No lady friend this time around, so I'm open to suggestions!

Young male in 20's, if that makes any difference!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

My two cents worth.....

Unless it's your wedding, you should not do anything to upstage or take attention away from the bride or groom. The same advice applies to female guests on the day (which is why nobody wears white, or you see "no coast dresses" on invites).

While I applaud your desire to stand out and get a sense of your style, I don't think that a wedding is appropriate (unless it's your own )

It is possible to look smart of stylish at the wedding (choice of tie etc.) but a dickybow and braces, no matter how nice, will draw too much attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I can't see how braces and a dickie bow will upstage the groom, As it's typical for them to wear long suits ( morning dress/tails) a waistcoat and cravats.

Its hard to get a real bowtie, and hard to tie it, but you do get that James Bond coolness with it open later in the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I personally can't see how a dickie bow and braces will upstage the groom in any way.

I'd say go for it op if its what you want. I would recommend that you go for a real dickie bow and tie it yourself as they look better and then later on in the night you can untie it and it still looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Alright, thanks for your input guys!

Advertisement