Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Docklands 5k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

unirunner2 wrote: »
    i am tempted to run it, but just wondering with the numbers at 3000 runners, is it very congested at the start and throughtout, seems a lot of runners for a shortish race!
    i would like to do it and would be aiming for sub 20, but with that number, it probably be toughish

3,000 is the maximum amount of runners we are allowed but we are unlikely to get that number as it's our first year.

Congestion is always a worry at a big race and in order to try and make sure everyone is lined up correctly at the start and alleviate that problem we have pacers lined up. We have two pacers per band; 20, 25 and 30 minutes and if you can stick with them they are guaranteed to get you to the finish line with a bit of fun along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭unirunner2

Marthastew wrote: »
    3,000 is the maximum amount of runners we are allowed but we are unlikely to get that number as it's our first year.

Congestion is always a worry at a big race and in order to try and make sure everyone is lined up correctly at the start and alleviate that problem we have pacers lined up. We have two pacers per band; 20, 25 and 30 minutes and if you can stick with them they are guaranteed to get you to the finish line with a bit of fun along the way!

brilliant, will go with the pacers then, thanks

I'd love to join up, but I don't see how I can considering those collection times. I don't work in the city centre and I'm not taking a 1/2 day off work just to go and collect a t-shirt.

Its a shame, it looks like a lot of fun.

Website updated to reflect changed number pick-up times;

Registration will be in the Waterways Visitor Centre which is close to the Grand Canal Square. You can collect up your race number and FREE tech running T-shirt on any of the following days: Tuesday 16th June 14:30 - 18:00, Wednesday 17th June 10:00 - 18:00 and Thursday June 18th 10:00 - 18:30. SO don't get caught in a last minute rush - collect early.

Some great prizes up for grabs on our Facebook page over the next few days so keep an eye out...
    https://www.facebook.com/crusaders5k

I ran the route at lunchtime todays nice route, would be interested to know will they use the roundabout at the 02 are will we loop back before it.
    i suppose it won't make much of a differance, but if your turning back in a small road that will result in you slowing down

nice route and if the evening is nice with no wind its definately fast, wind was noticeable when i ran it at lunchime,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Weather is looking like it won't be an excuse:

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/long.html

• Advertisement

unirunner2 wrote: »
    I ran the route at lunchtime todays nice route, would be interested to know will they use the roundabout at the 02 are will we loop back before it.
    i suppose it won't make much of a differance, but if your turning back in a small road that will result in you slowing down

nice route and if the evening is nice with no wind its definately fast, wind was noticeable when i ran it at lunchime,

The turnaround point is approx. 20M before the roundabout but we will make the turn as runner-friendly as possible.
    Forecast is good and it's all systems go for a wonderful evening.
    I'll be keeping an eye on this thread so feel free to pop on here with any questions or queries and I'll do my best to clear anything up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

2 years ago there were 2,275 doing the 10K and the only congestion was at the start and that was because it started on Hanover Quay which is much narrower than the start line this year. I'm not expecting congestion to be an issue even if 3000 do start.

MS, if I send my daughter over tomorrow to collect my number, will she be allowed to collect it ? She will have my confirmation with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

PaulieC wrote: »
    MS, if I send my daughter over tomorrow to collect my number, will she be allowed to collect it ? She will have my confirmation with her.
    I can't see there being a problem with that but I'm sure that if they don't get to provide the definitive answer here on the forum then just email them to say that you're sending in your daughter. (They're volunteers, who'd probably know 1,000 of the entrants' names anyway, and so shouldn't need DNA samples, fingerprints or an affidavit).
    I collected my number at 17:55 today, a small queue. The problem wasn't with any issue on the barcode as it printed out well enough, but with people in the queue asking all sort of irrelevant questions of those who were attempting to process the forms. I'm sure it might have been worth knowing whether 21 June was a solstice or equinox, or whether the percentage of rainfall relative to GDP was a statistic affecting athletic performance. Similarly, the dog may well have eaten the form but yes, gentleman, you printed it out again and so please just give the people behind the desk a chance to deal with everyone so that they could close up at the alloted time. (There was an OPW bouncer of some description on the gangplank when I was leaving. I suspect that he may have begun feeding athletes to the fishes at 18:01, and fear for the Crusaders team behind the desks).
    Hopefully tomorrow's collection will go well for everyone. I was probably part of a post-work surge from 17:45 to 18:00 but suspect that the situation will be similar or greater on Wednesday evening. If you send your daughter over at a quiet time I'm sure they can sort you out without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

In my confirmation e-mail the link to the registration pass just goes to an error page on the Precision Timing site. Have people been able to collect their numbers with just a print-out of their confirmation e-mail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

In my confirmation e-mail the link to the registration pass just goes to an error page on the Precision Timing site. Have people been able to collect their numbers with just a print-out of their confirmation e-mail?

The confirmation email contains more authenticating information than the Precision Timing document, which contains a blank block with a caption "[insert advertising here]", so I'm sure they'd accept the email print-out. (There's a version of the barcode in the corner of the email anyway: they're not scanning them though, just trying to cross the names off a list. They're probably just trying to make sure that some scammer doesn't come in with the same document twice - or more - to collect multiple t-shirts).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I wasn't asked for any details or email, just gave a name and that was it.

The one suggestion I would give to anyone picking up a number is that people (rightly or wrongly) are expecting to pick up a 'goody bag'. There is no bag which isn't the issue or a problem but if you're on a bike like I was and didn't have a bag with you, this can be a bit of a pain to cycle away with a tshirt and race number in your hand. Two others had the same problem I had while I was there.

Also the security guy at Waterways is there to stop the young folk of the area using the building's roof as a launching pad into the water below. You can see them all on the bridge jumping into the dock once the good weather starts each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Got email this morning with more event details saying Ill need bag tag to drop bag before the run, I wasn't given one when I picked up number & tshirt yesterday, anyone else have same issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Is the bag tag not part of the bib (detachable)?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Murph_D wrote: »

Never looked !
    Thanks

PaulieC wrote: »
    Hopefully she has been and gone at this stage? No problem doing so.
    Murph_D wrote: »

It should be. Precision timing has organised bag tags on the bibs although I haven't been in yet to registration so I can't confirm yet if this is the case. Maybe someone else can?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

No bag tag on my number when I picked it up yesterday. Just number, tshirt & run hub leaflet.

chinguetti wrote: »
    No bag tag on my number when I picked it up yesterday. Just number, tshirt & run hub leaflet.

Thanks M,
    Precision said there might have been a delay in the bag tags...

Kildarecommuter (and anyone concerned about bag-drop) you can still leave your bag at the bag-drop we will have numbers for you to stick on

collected my number this lunctime,

you get to take your own t-shirst which can only mean that if you leave it to the last moment, their wont be any of your size left, i could be wrong though. but i would get their earlier rather than later
    i

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I'm intrigued by the poll results here... how have people rated the race before it happens... ?? :confused:

prescience isn't my strong point :p

• Advertisement

Hopefully she has been and gone at this stage? No problem doing so.

It should be. Precision timing has organised bag tags on the bibs although I haven't been in yet to registration so I can't confirm yet if this is the case. Maybe someone else can?

I went myself today as she was turned away yesterday by the security guard on the door. She didn't have the email with her and he thought she was with a gang of kids who were swimming in the basin. No bag tags today either, but not a big deal for me as its a mile away, that's the warm up and cool down sorted.

We are expecting registration in the Waterways centre to be very, very busy later this afternoon so if you can make it in earlier today to collect your bib please do so.

We are also allowing late registration at a cost of €25 but no guarantee of a t-shirt.

See you all at the Finish Line :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Good luck to anyone running in this tonight. I think I will take a walk down to cheer on my fellow boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

No mention of the Tall Ships here in this thread, but they're in town and I caught glimpse of one down by Sir John Rogerson's Quay. Should make for a pleasant backdrop! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Anyone know if there are markers at each KM?

Edit: just thought to check FB page and there are! Woof!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh that's gonna be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Well organised race tonight. I'm happy because I got a new PB of 20.51. 16 seconds faster than my previous best.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

+1 for KJ. Lovely to run the quays , good logistics. Thought the first stretch was a bit bottlenecked TBH but the marshals were excellent and gave great encouragement for runners which is cool. Also pb @ 20:03 as advertised. Well done Cru's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Well done to the Cru Crew. Well organised race in what must be a logistically difficult place to hold a race. Weather was stunning and a nice flat, fast course helped me to a new PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Absolutely brilliant, well done to Crusaders AC on the first year of this. Great stewarding and encouragement along the way. We need more runs like this mid week after work!

Pick up was very quick and smooth. Loved that the t-shirts came in XS. Those man size tech tops can be really sloppy and loose on us short ladies!

My time isn't showing up on the site and the suspense is killing me! I've sent through a query as prompted with as much detail as possible and was told they will get back to me asap.

Where the pacers accurate?

I came in well before the 25 pacer so I just hope I did it in a good time. Was trying to catch the 20 pacer but I'm not on top form.

I found the weather really tough this week for running. Hard to breath! Think it's my hayfever? I did this little 5k run to keep me on track as I had been away for a few days and needed something to keep me on the straight and narrow!

Advertisement