Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half Marathon July 4th 2015

Options
  • 30-04-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is anyone else doing this? Any tips? Link here: http://www.runclontarf.com/

Will be my first half marathon of the year.

Very good value €30 for a half marathon. This includes:

a) Race Number
    b) Timing Chip (disposable)
    c) Medal
    d) Training top (Printed tops are subject to availability)
    e) Training Tips
    f) 3 x Aid stations with Bottled water
    g) Dry bag drop
    h) Goodies

I've been running along the course the last few weeks. Nice and flat. Think it'll be a good one.

Comfortably running 25kms with no pain or blisters. Really pleased with my progress to be honest because I was very ill for a few months & out of action. Been back running since March. Hopefully won't get injured :eek:

Link to registration: http://www.runclontarf.com/index.php/enter/half-marathon

EDIT: They just put up on Facebook that this is a 1/3 sold out already!

Latest Updates on the half marathon and 5 mile (both on July 4th): https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clontarf-Half-Marathon-5-Mile-Irelands-Flattest-Races/112053348865749?fref=ts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

This was my first half marathon, when I ran it in July 2013. I have done the last four (two summer, two winter) as it's one of my favourites. No steep hills to worry about is a major plus. However, the wind on the way back can make things very difficult, plus it being July, heat can be an issue - certainly was for me the last two summers!

Distance won't be a problem for you if you're running 25k. I still wouldn't go off too quick on your first go - you always see a lot of blowups here, and hills or no hills it's a harder task getting home when people are constantly streaming by you. Even if it feels easy on the way out, try and keep a bit for the finish, it's a great feeling coming back along the promenade and passing people rather than being passed!!

Unfortunately due to holidays I won't be lining up this time around. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Can anyone who has done this one and the Rock'n'Roll 1/2 (a month later) compare and contrast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭ooter

I did it last summer,it may be a flat course but the wind is very deceptive,absolute wall of wind the whole way back along the beach. The soft sand that you cross going on to the beach and back off takes it out of your legs too. I thought I'd defo get a pb but it wasn't to be.
    RnR HM looks a very hilly course.
    You forgot the free pint of erdinger pink. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

+1 on the wind on the return and soft sand being a killer

Did it last year as my first half.
    Won't be there this year due to holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

ooter wrote: »
    You forgot the free pint of erdinger pink. :-)

Haha how could I!? They also announced recently that we'll get free donuts. Last thing I'd want to eat after a half to be honest but I'll devour it Saturday evening :pac:

Thanks for all the feedback and advice, much appreciated.

I run the area/part of the course a lot myself. I did my 21km last night and boy was the wind horrendous along the promenade. I had a 10km run home in the wind and rain. I was powering as hard as I could but barely moving. Hope the weather is calmer in July. Think I'll wear a baseball cap in future!

Agreed on the pacing Wubble. I often start off running my hardest and getting a good 10km done. I've always mentally been a 10km runner so I always find myself slowing once I know I've hit the 10. Hard to explain but something I'm working on. Mental block in my case. Anyway, the trog home is even harder then with the wind. This course is so wide open there is nothing shielding the wind. You're running next to the sea basically (for anyone who is unfamiliar). Beautiful scenery though.

Wubble - what do you normally get in the goodie bag and comparing on your other years has the quality been consistent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Phoebas wrote: »
    Can anyone who has done this one and the Rock'n'Roll 1/2 (a month later) compare and contrast?

Did RnR last August, nice course, a couple of hills, good to have a bit of music on the way around. Great medal/tshirt. Band at the finish with plenty of drinks / food etc. Heat was a bastard!

Did Clontarf half near the end of last year (can't remember what month). Nice flat course, got a PB, basic medal / no t shirt. No order at the start line, even though there were pacers, people just did their own thing. The first few and last few km were fairly tight with the volume of people.

There was plenty of dodging going on. Dodging slower people who started up front and blocked the paths. Dodging dog walkers, people with buggies etc.

The MC's mike stopped working at one stage so a lot of people didn't know what was happening. Have a search for last years thread, it's interesting.

It's a lovely flat course though and I thought it was well marshalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Just signed up for this. It will be my first time going the half marathon distance in a race as I've only done up to 10k's before. Nothing like a race to focus your training I guess...

Phoebas wrote: »

I also signed up for that one.

I just saw tonight they are doing a free series every week from now until then. Pretty cool. It started tonight but I didn't see it on time. Did anyone go? First 100 to register get a free t-shirt too:

http://www.runrocknroll.com/dublin/news/2015/04/ireland-summer-series-runs/

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

I've done it twice. Both times have been my worst half marathons. I just can't run well on that course for some reason. Give me the phoenix park any day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I've done it once. It may be flat but running on the sand was really draining. I've ran faster times on hillier courses.

• Advertisement

I've done it once. It may be flat but running on the sand was really draining. I've ran faster times on hillier courses.

Same actually. The sand at the Sandymount 10k run back in March was really hard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

Love this 1/2 marathon. Scenic, but tough. Great atmosphere.

How did the number pick up work last year guys?

If it's far away, I hope we have an option to pick up in the evening time?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

eoin ryan wrote: »

Brilliant, exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks for giving so many options and great having a pick up zone in the area (and in the evening!).

Really looking forward to this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 expato

Great Course. Poorly organised in a number of aspects. Avoid the kids race if you have children as it serves as a shambolic affair organised to maximise the financial intake. I am not a crank as I have advocated this race in the past but last year was disgraceful in its treatment of the underage kids that it colours all aspects of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

expato wrote: »
    Avoid the kids race if you have children as it serves as a shambolic affair organised to maximise the financial intake. I am not a crank as I have advocated this race in the past but last year was disgraceful in its treatment of the underage kids that it colours all aspects of it.

The kids/junior race is cancelled this year.

expato wrote: »
    Great Course. Poorly organised in a number of aspects. Avoid the kids race if you have children as it serves as a shambolic affair organised to maximise the financial intake. I am not a crank as I have advocated this race in the past but last year was disgraceful in its treatment of the underage kids that it colours all aspects of it.

Can you expand on what you thought was bad? Just want to be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Pink11 wrote: »
    Can you expand on what you thought was bad? Just want to be prepared!

My two cents: The last running of this (last November) coincided with some flooding along the route where it goes toward the beach, therefore it had to be run on the footpath, instead of the wider sand section leading to the beach and we had to take the steps down to the beach, it was quite congested. I also found that there was not enough people at the water stations and these areas were quite congested also.

Cycling the route last night, there seems to be a lot of large bush type weeds (for want of a better term) growing along the path from Bull Island up towards Sutton. They are growing about 2 - 3 feet out onto the path, which will also make it a big tighter.

Downtime wrote: »
    My two cents: The last running of this (last November) coincided with some flooding along the route where it goes toward the beach, therefore it had to be run on the footpath, instead of the wider sand section leading to the beach and we had to take the steps down to the beach, it was quite congested. I also found that there was not enough people at the water stations and these areas were quite congested also.

Cycling the route last night, there seems to be a lot of large bush type weeds (for want of a better term) growing along the path from Bull Island up towards Sutton. They are growing about 2 - 3 feet out onto the path, which will also make it a big tighter.

Thanks. The weather was unfortunate. Sounds like everyone clambering on the steps at once was dangerous too?

I've ran the route quite a lot in the last few months myself and spotted the problem of the weeds too. They are growing out really far and at some points along the path it's difficult for even 2/3 people to pass at once. Hopefully they can be trimmed back before the race!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Signed up for this again - I am using it as my last long run before the Portarlington Marathon on 11th July - I am not really looking forward to the beach on the way back - it really saps the strength in your legs, so...my mantra in the first half will be 'pace yourself, pace yourself, pace yourself!" - I really blew out in the last 2-3km last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Doing this myself for the first time. Was looking forward to it till people started saying how tough it is on the way back on the beach :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

colin32 wrote: »
    Doing this myself for the first time. Was looking forward to it till people started saying how tough it is on the way back on the beach :(

It's tough enough but if you bank some time on the way out you'll be fine. I think I banked 2 minutes on the way out pacing last year. If the wind conditions are similar again, I would do likewise. It worked out well.

....don't forget to hide behind the biggest person to use them as a buffer into the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I only have 1 pace and that's slow lol

Does this half happen twice a year? July and November?

I see nothing about Nov 2015 date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

It has taken place over the past two years anyhow. Race director might well wait until after the summer one is over before putting it up on the web page so as to avoid confusion.

Looking forward to this one now - pacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Ran this last Nov and a smashed my PB at it. Love the route though it is tight in parts so just need to have your wits about you. The sand can take a bit out of the legs so be prepared for fluffy stuff coming on and exiting the beach at this time of year. Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

It does but the July one is the main event with more bells and whistles ie tshirt and medal etc. The November one is more low key as far as I remember last year anyway - cheaper entry price and no medal . Although they could change that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Can someone post a link to the map please, I can't for the life of me find one. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I ran most of this course yesterday. A few observations:

# Running on the beach can be a bìtch, especially in the very soft sand getting on and off. Anyone got any tips/techniques for dealing with this?
    # There is a fair bit of plant growth along the pathway on the section out towards Sutton. This is mainly a problem on the road side (not so much on the sea side), which I think is used for the return portion where there should be less congestion.
    # In part of this section there is no barrier between the pathway and a drop down into the sea! When I did this race in the past I found this to be a bit off putting especially as it was also very congested and some people were discarding water bottles on the path.
    # Running on unsheltered coast, you can get a bit of wind. There was a gentle breeze on my back yesterday pushing me along, which didn't feel so gentle in my face on the return leg.

Advertisement