Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half Marathon July 4th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Does anyone know if we can we pick our race numbers up in any of the locations from Wednesday to Friday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Stevo1983 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we can we pick our race numbers up in any of the locations from Wednesday to Friday ?

Hey have you seen this: http://www.runclontarf.com/images/V1-2015-July-Final-Information.pdf

Number pick up info is on page 2 of that pdf.

My understanding is we can pick up our numbers Wednesday in Clontarf (5.30-7.30pm) or else Thurs and Fri out in Lucan?
    Can someone post a link to the map please, I can't for the life of me find one. Thanks

Here you go: http://www.mapmyrun.com/ie/dublin-l/clontarf-half-marathon-route-25958470

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nichakhun

Phoebas wrote: »
    I ran most of this course yesterday. A few observations:

# Running on the beach can be a bìtch, especially in the very soft sand getting on and off. Anyone got any tips/techniques for dealing with this?
    # There is a fair bit of plant growth along the pathway on the section out towards Sutton. This is mainly a problem on the road side (not so much on the sea side), which I think is used for the return portion where there should be less congestion.
    # In part of this section there is no barrier between the pathway and a drop down into the sea! When I did this race in the past I found this to be a bit off putting especially as it was also very congested and some people were discarding water bottles on the path.
    # Running on unsheltered coast, you can get a bit of wind. There was a gentle breeze on my back yesterday pushing me along, which didn't feel so gentle in my face on the return leg.

Snap...ran most of it on Saturday and totally agree with all you said. Particularly the wind...coming back is where it hits! Lets hope its a calm day. Getting on and off the beach is soft sand which is difficult to run through but thankfully doesn't last long. Praying for calm!

does anyone know if the road off the beach to the main road is closed to traffic for the event? I did see that the wooden bridge leading onto the beach on the way out is closed to traffic but didn't see anything about the other road. I ask as the 'path' on this section is crap underfoot but the road surface is good so would be better to run on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Nichakhun wrote: »
    does anyone know if the road off the beach to the main road is closed to traffic for the event? I did see that the wooden bridge leading onto the beach on the way out is closed to traffic but didn't see anything about the other road. I ask as the 'path' on this section is crap underfoot but the road surface is good so would be better to run on.

IIRC the road is sectioned off - runners on one side, traffic on the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Just picked up my number for the 5 mile. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Got mine for the half. Collected without any issues, apart from traffic :(

Hope the windy forecast isn't right & get a calm morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Ran tonight and last night. The humidity tonight was a b@$tard. The wind forecast will be better than this heaviness.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

Just picked up my number for the 5 mile. :D

Where does the 5 mile start? There's only a map for the half. It used to start at the junction of that road the leads up to Raheny village.

I didn't get my t-shirt last night.

Was told to pick it up on Saturday before the race but I forgot to ask where!? Anyone else in the same boat?

Kind of annoying as I will have to come earlier now and will have to bring a bag with me and put in baggage drop (was hoping to arrive ready to race :( )

• Advertisement

same boat... agree its annoying :( the whole point of midweek pick up is to avoid having to arrive early etc.

Nichakhun wrote: »
    same boat... agree its annoying :( the whole point of midweek pick up is to avoid having to arrive early etc.

Exactly shouldn't have bothered going up last night ;\

Can they not organise a pick up for us at the end of the race? I really hate hanging around ages before the race trying to keep myself warmed up.

Bravestaar wrote: »
    Where does the 5 mile start? There's only a map for the half. It used to start at the junction of that road the leads up to Raheny village.

I think the starting points for both races are the same (opposite the Yaught).

Can the T-shirt not be picked up after the race?

Can the T-shirt not be picked up after the race?

This would be ideal! Does anyone know how to contact the organiser quickly and directly to get an answer?

Oh in fairness they've just got sent an email explaining what happened and it confirms that those of us who didn't get a t-shirt can collect before OR after the race. They have noted who didn't get one so I'm guessing they'll be reserved for us till after.

Perfect. Nice work organisers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Saw on the website that there will be the following aid stations:

Aid stations are at Km 6.1 Km 10.1 Km 14.1

I assume there will be water at these?

Pink11 wrote: »
    Oh in fairness they've just got sent an email explaining what happened and it confirms that those of us who didn't get a t-shirt can collect before OR after the race. They have noted who didn't get one so I'm guessing they'll be reserved for us till after.

Perfect. Nice work organisers :)

That's an incentive to run faster to get there before all that's left are the xxs ones (unless you are xxs)

We can pick them up at the blue reg tent it said.
    Anyone know where that is?

paulers06 wrote: »
    Saw on the website that there will be the following aid stations:

Aid stations are at Km 6.1 Km 10.1 Km 14.1

I assume there will be water at these?

4, not 3.
    The PDF wrote:
    Water stations are located at km 7, km 10.5 and km 14.1 & km 17.5 (Note: it will not be on the
    beach as per July ‘13. It is 500 metres further up at the roundabout)
    We can pick them up at the blue reg tent it said.
    Anyone know where that is?

This seems to be it. I presume the gazebo is the blue tent
    The PDF wrote:
    Saturday 04th Registration is from 8.00am to 9.30am sharp for Half Marathon and 5 mile at
    Start/finish line. Please don’t all appear at 9.15am. We will close at 9.30am sharp.
    On Saturday the number slots (1 – 500, 501 – 1000 etc.) will be visible on the roof of the Gazebo

• Advertisement

Ah! But where is the Gazebo!?

Ah! But where is the Gazebo!?

at the Start/finish line. And that's at...
    The PDF wrote:
    ALL the races in JULY have the adjusted start location on the Promenade opposite the Yaught Pub (circa +400metres from the usual start area)

Oh perfect. All makes sense now. Thanks!

I was given choice of medium or large tshirt last night, took the large, but haven't tried it on yet. Not hopeful of it fitting though :( being big boned its sometimes an issue haha

The t-shirts are horrible anyway. They are the same ones they give out every single year. I just bin them at this stage.

I think the starting points for both races are the same (opposite the Yaught).

Ah sound. Awkward for parking with both races starting at the same location. I liked the old start where you just ran the one way. It was a lovely warm down coming back along the front.

I guess I'll just off my bike and cycle down.

Bravestaar wrote: »
    The t-shirts are horrible anyway. They are the same ones they give out every single year. I just bin them at this stage.

haha grand. I'll try not to cry if I don't get one tomorrow.

How is everyone feeling about it tomorrow? I can't wait! It was pretty hot this morning though I found so reckon conditions might be pretty warm too tomorrow?

haha grand. I'll try not to cry if I don't get one tomorrow.

How is everyone feeling about it tomorrow? I can't wait! It was pretty hot this morning though I found so reckon conditions might be pretty warm too tomorrow?

Looking forward to it, just hope it's a calm breeze on the beach. Rain forecast tonight, so looking like might be a bit cooler in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Nervous! This is my second attempt at a half, my first was Balbriggan on Paddy's day and my knee completely gave out (an old childhood injury) despite having the stamina and pace is set, so I had to call it a day half way through that. This time round with work going mental and a few other things I haven't trained nearly as much as I'd like, so I'm setting the goal of finishing this one. A sub two hour will be the bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Best of luck Gillo, hope the knee holds out for you this time.

Looking forward to it myself, off out to collect my number now. Hoping parking won't be a disaster.

Advertisement