Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycle shoes

• 30-04-2015 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

hello hope i can get some help
    and recommendations.

i need to get some cycling shoes and cleats
    the sole on my left foot is killing me.

i was looking throught the online shops and seen these on wiggle
    €45 dhb-r10-road-cycling-shoe they got 4 stars on bikeradar for the price don’t think i could go wrong

Now i only looked at these cause they are carbon
    Reduced from €215 - €83
    muddyfox-rbs-carbon-mens-cycling on
    sports direct

are the sizes same as runners?
    one other thing is
    what type of cleats or pedal do i get, are they all universal
    im such a novice

any recommended shops or any info would be great
    regards
    j

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

road shoes or MTB shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justoon

road opps should have mentioned that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Hi hope some of this info helps:

dhb-r10-road-cycling-shoe - I use the previous model of these as a winter shoe in some heavy duty over shoes. They are a fine shoe for the money and you probably can't get any better for the price. They don't fit as snug and as tight as my other more expensive shoes but they are still very good. A great option for your first entry into clipless pedals.

muddyfox-rbs-carbon-mens-cycling - No experience at all of the muddy fox brand however I'm always weary (more so after monday) on the reductions of Sports Direct.

are the sizes same as runners? - Yes and No. For example a size 45 in runners is slightly smaller in an adidas shoes than it is in a Nike shoe. I've found the size 45 in Fizik to be slightly bigger than the 45 in the DHB. So trying to say is the 45 in a Sidi Ergo the same as a 45 in a Nike Air Max Tailwind is very difficult. I'm using euro sizes here to keep it simple as just to throw an extra bit of confusion there is no defined UK to Euro conversion in sizes. Nike for example convert a UK size 10 to a US 11 and a Euro 45 where as a UK 10 in adidas is a US 10.5 and a Euro 44.5. When it comes to shoes especially your first ones I'd be inclined to go to a shop and try them on until your are comfortable with what works for you.

what type of cleats or pedal do i get, are they all universal - No they aren't. Nor are shoes for that matter. So the most common are Shimano SPD SL and Look pedals which look very similar but are not universal. They both have 3 bolt delta shaped cleats and typically any shoe that fits one will fit the other but the cleats will not fit each others pedals. i.e. a look cleat will not fit a shimano pedal and vice versa. Keep it to either of those brands and chances are 99% of all shoes you are looking at will work with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i have the previous model of that shoe in black and red
    and find them great

it saying that they are my first pair of road shoes so i can compare to more expensive ones. but i have no problems with them so far anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 justoon

Hi hope some of this info helps:

dhb-r10-road-cycling-shoe - I use the previous model of these as a winter shoe in some heavy duty over shoes. They are a fine shoe for the money and you probably can't get any better for the price. They don't fit as snug and as tight as my other more expensive shoes but they are still very good. A great option for your first entry into clipless pedals.

in si

i think ill go with these as i dont think ill feel the difference is carbon shoes.
    a winter shoe?
    i take it summer ones are lighter?
    what do you mean by clipless pedals?

and more questions if you all dont mind,
    with the cleats pedals, are they quick release?
    ive heard some horror stories about getting feet stuck
    at traffic lights and the side-word fall .

thanks all for the helpful info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Hi apologies only saw the response now hence the delay.

a winter shoe?
    i take it summer ones are lighter?

- No. Basically I have an expensive pair of carbon fizik shoes that I use for my main cycling. When I bought them the dhb's were still fine so I just leave my heavy duty winter overshoes on those rather than taking them off and on when I need. Just easier to pick what shoes I need for particular weather. I'm just being lazy. In truth almost all road shoes are designed for vented good weather and if it's a cold day will freeze the bloody toes off you. That's why you can buy overshoes. I a sense they are all summer shoes, it's the addition of over shoes (think big thick socks that go over them) that make them winter shoes also.

what do you mean by clipless pedals?
    - Clipless pedals to use their confusing name are basically what you are talking about. Pedals that you clip into with cleats. It's just what they are technically called although most call them clip in pedals.

with the cleats pedals, are they quick release?
    - With a lot of pedals there is a tension screw at the back that you can adjust how easy or difficult it is to clip in and out. A quick turn of your foot outward and you're out. As the pedals wear you will find yourself adjusting that higher as the spring gets older and holds less tension. They do take a little getting used to and everyone, and I mean everyone on here and not on here took a little bit of adjusting to clip in's. The sudden feeling of being "stuck" to the bike makes you nervous but after a little while you forgot all about it. I even find myself now (muscle memory) twisting my left foot at lights "clipping out" when I'm on one of the dublin bikes. It becomes as second nature as breathing.

ive heard some horror stories about getting feet stuck at traffic lights and the side-word fall .
    - Everyone is allowed one fall a season. It's funnier when it's in a group and you get the domino effect :) Seriously all they take is getting used to and then you start planning. See a light change or go red, unclip before it and when you roll to your stop you're already ready. Falls I've seen are people that don't clip until they've come to a complete stop or on occasion someone who clips the left foot out and leans to the right. It's all practice and preparation. Best advice when you first put them on spend some time in the back yard leaning against the fence/house practicing clippling in and out. Then go out on a little spin up the road and just keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I can't give you any advice on the shoes themselves as I'm in my first pair (they are Spiuk brand) so I've nothing to compare them to. I'm normally a size 6.5 or 7 in regular shoes/runners but I wear a 7.5 in these shoes.

It's very easy to clip in and out of the pedals. It's daunting at first but you get used to it very quickly. Just remember to clip out your dominant leg coming up to junctions or places where you feel you may have to stop. I had those strappy cage thingys on my pedals before getting the shoes and cleats and I found them lethal. The cleats are much easier to get out of IME. I haven't fallen in the cleats yet (touch wood) but I had numerous tumbles out of the cages.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

I just got my new shoes delivered from wiggle today 😀. Got the dhb 1.0 like you were thinking of, my first road shoe so i said no point spending too much.
    I got the shimano spd-sl pedals to go with them and used the THANKS10 promo code for an extra 10% off DHB products ordered thursday evening and arrived today all for €71

Advertisement