Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage and civil partnership ?

• 30-04-2015 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭

What is the difference between marriage and civil partnership ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Noel Whelan also discusses the differences in his column today:
    Since its introduction civil partnership has provided lesbian and gay couples with a degree of legal recognition and urgently needed protections in taxation, inheritance and other areas but it falls short of full constitutional equality.

Civil partnership lacks the clarity, certainty and constitutional protection that goes with marriage. The distinctions between the two operate at practical, legal and symbolic levels.

Civil partnership is a legal agreement whereas marriage is how our community recognises committed, loving relationships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Constitutional protection

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

MrWalsh wrote: »
    marriagequality.ie/getinformed/marriage/faqs.html[/url]

You should post a non biased site for referendum questions, what is the governments sote for this referendum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gravehold wrote: »
    You should post a non biased site for referendum questions, what is the governments sote for this referendum

Where is the rule that only so called "unbiased" links can be put up? Did I miss that in the charter? How is a listing of facts of legislation biased by the way?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

Where is the rule that only so called "unbiased" links can be put up? Did I miss that in the charter? How is a listing of facts of legislation biased by the way?

Someone is asking for info on the referendum forum posting neutral info for them to learn about the referendum for is probably for the best, so they can make up their own mind.

There is plenty of other forums where people can post their bias eg lgbt, politics, after hours, etc.

That site is biased, the goverment usally put out a site with no bias so people can make up their own minds.

But go ahead and keep posting them if you think an unbaised site might not get the person to vote to your ideology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

gravehold wrote: »

Bit paranoid?

Post an "unbiased" one yourself if you wish, but dont tell me what to post. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Ruxjit wrote: »
    What is the difference between marriage and civil partnership ?
    Best short answer is here:

http://fergryan.blogspot.ie/2015/04/civil-partnership-v-marriage-some.html

Advertisement