Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manager rants/insults

• 30-04-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭

Inspired by Nigel Pearson, the BBC are getting people to send in their favourite manager rants.

Some of my favourites over the years were Rafa's facts rant or Houllier's one when he left Liverpool. There's also Rico's classic "ridden rock solid" or one I remember from the Setanta Cup was David Jeffrey taking issue with Felix Healy's view of a Linfield Derry game and roaring "that's just the Derry in you!".

What about yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Inspired by Nigel Pearson, the BBC are getting people to send in their favourite manager rants.

Some of my favourites over the years were Rafa's facts rant or Houllier's one when he left Liverpool. There's also Rico's classic "ridden rock solid" or one I remember from the Setanta Cup was David Jeffrey taking issue with Felix Healy's view of a Linfield Derry game and roaring "that's just the Derry in you!".

What about yours?

What was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Clearly Kinnears rant when he took over at Newcastle(god almighty that actually happened and it wasn't a horrible nightmare) is a distant 1st place.

LOT of swearing. Be warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The greatest ever....."And you can bring your dinner!" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What was that?
    Can't find a video, just some quotes. I remember the bit about "They want to go back to the 80's, well fine, but they can do it without me". At that point, he got up and stormed off. A few days later, he was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gordon Strachan

Journo "could I have a quick word"
    Gordon " velocity" and walks off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wenger going after the journo. Rare to see him lose the plot in a presser.

kfallon wrote: »
    The greatest ever....."And you can bring your dinner!" :pac:

That will go down as one of the greats.

Trap's meltdown at Bayern was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqp64q7kHmw

Can't find a video, just some quotes. I remember the bit about "They want to go back to the 80's, well fine, but they can do it without me". At that point, he got up and stormed off. A few days later, he was gone.

Dont remember that myself. From what I can recall was fairly amicable. This was Houllier the day he left.

Quite the rant.
    I arrived here six years ago as a Liverpool supporter and I leave as an even bigger supporter," he told the club website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Keegans "love it" rant was pretty good and an all time EPL classic

Jose blabbing on about little horses last year was good, also from last year, the rant about the "fantastic" performance of the ref against Sunderland, his 1st and only home league defeat as a Chelsea manager was funny to watch, took a pop at nearly everyone in his 4 points.

LVG's dossier about his sides passing earlier this year was interesting.

I think you're talking through your hoop sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There's this on Wikipedia but it's not in the link provided:
    During a press conference leading up to his departure Houllier said, 'If they want to go back to the '70s & '80s they can do that but not with me' shortly after Houllier left the press conference.
    It was probably the presser after the last match of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Nah wunda he's in the fackin' reserves"

There's this on Wikipedia but it's not in the link provided:

It was probably the presser after the last match of the season.

Must of been monumental if there's no citation available for it and / or no footage or memory of it. I don't remember anything to rant about with respect to the end of the Houllier regime. It petered out fairly naturally and he left for one of the hottest managerial properties in European football at the time. He never appeared bitter about his time at the club to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Gordon Strachan

Journo "could I have a quick word"
    Gordon " velocity" and walks off

"In what areas were they better than you today?"
    "That big green one out there."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Keegans "love it" rant was pretty good and an all time EPL classic

Remember watching that live and thinking "We're in his ****ing head!". Was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Remember watching that live and thinking "We're in his ****ing head!". Was brilliant.

Poor Kev was never the same after that.

The lead they had that year, they should have seen out the league, the melodown was epic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Short and sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not real but still brilliant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

These men are under incredible pressure with 95% of people wanting them to fail. Of course they are going to crack now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

niallo27 wrote: »
    These men are under incredible pressure with 95% of people wanting them to fail. Of course they are going to crack now and again.

No one said that they weren't, it's a bit if craic.

Personally I find them hilarious, especially Mourinho. He turns into part Machiavelli, part Sith Lord and part hormonal teenage girl.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    No one said that they weren't, it's a bit if craic.

Personally I find them hilarious, especially Mourinho. He turns into part Machiavelli, part Sith Lord and part hormonal teenage girl.

I find the Keegan one a bit uncomfortable. The Pearson one last night was the same.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

niallo27 wrote: »
    I find the Keegan one a bit uncomfortable. The Pearson one last night was the same.
    I didn't think the Keegan one was uncomfortable because he clearly just got worked up but was still making a degree of sense. Pearson OTOH, seemed to have lost his grip on anything resembling reality.

I didn't think the Keegan one was uncomfortable because he clearly just got worked up but was still making a degree of sense. Pearson OTOH, seemed to have lost his grip on anything resembling reality.

Ya your right. I think some BBC reporter went after him this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Must of been monumental if there's no citation available for it and / or no footage or memory of it. I don't remember anything to rant about with respect to the end of the Houllier regime. It petered out fairly naturally and he left for one of the hottest managerial properties in European football at the time. He never appeared bitter about his time at the club to me.

I actually do remember that Houllier rant to be fair. It wasn't when he left though. I'd say it was a few months before, maybe around March time.

It was in response to being questioned about the fans shouting "Attack Attack Attack" during games when Houllier was fairly cautious in his approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

monkey9 wrote: »
    I actually do remember that Houllier rant to be fair. It wasn't when he left though. I'd say it was a few months before, maybe around March time.

It was in response to being questioned about the fans shouting "Attack Attack Attack" during games when Houllier was fairly cautious in his approach.

It's interesting how comments can be taken up so differently depending on the context...we always see it with quotes in the media - the only way to really know the intention is to actually see the original recording.

This take from the Anfield Index on the same event leaves a very different impression for instance;
    A magnificent trophy haul, but the Premier League trophy eluded his grasp during his tenure. Houllier failed to deliver and meet the heights of the Liverpool of old, despite all those memories he left us with. The man himself even acknowledged this in a press conference leading up to his departure: “If they want to go back to the 70’s and 80’s they can do that but not with me.”

In this context it gives much more of an impression of "i've taken them as far as I can, it's time for someone else". Don't remember it myself, no idea which is accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's interesting how comments can be taken up so differently depending on the context...we always see it with quotes in the media - the only way to really know the intention is to actually see the original recording.

This take from the Anfield Index on the same event leaves a very different impression for instance;

In this context it gives much more of an impression of "i've taken them as far as I can, it's time for someone else". Don't remember it myself, no idea which is accurate.

Houlliers case is a strange one. Won lots of trophies, but never got the sense the majority of fans ever warmed to him the way they did to Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Clearly Kinnears rant when he took over at Newcastle(god almighty that actually happened and it wasn't a horrible nightmare) is a distant 1st place.

LOT of swearing. Be warned.

My first time listening to all of the Kinnearageddon from first to last. As rants go, it takes some beating. Most manager rants are frustration fueled emotional car crashes, outpourings of unchecked madness. Sometimes they can even come across as sort of benign. They're usually so comical, you wonder does anyone really get hurt by them. The manager's ego probably takes the biggest lashing, once the media goes to town immediately afterwards..

Kinnear though is operating on a different level. I've no doubt he actually wanted to beat those journalists black and blue. Temperatures are running high and the journalists start giving it back to him. The hate is palpable. Rant of legends stuff. There's even time for a cooling off period towards the end, when everyone needs a breather from the white hot hate. But Joe, to his credit, still keeps throwing out YOU CAHHNNT and FACK OFF, seemingly at random- like a first class blues guitarist throwing out delicous licks and riffs during a giant jam session.

I think to be slightly fair to Pearson, the journalist last night asked a deliberately loaded question. I think he knew there was a chance Pearson might take the bait But holy crap, Pearson has to have a bit more self control. Not for the first time of course. What's really distinguishing Pearson in this field is how bizarre his moments of rage are. It's strange to witness him in full on cringe mode - he clearly feels like ripping someones head off, but he tries to rein it in. So we get this strange, unique form of loopyness, where he's completely seething but trying, unsuccessfully, to stay cool and calm. His voice gets unusually monotone. His patterns.of .speech slow.down...and..become........stilted. and what he has to say becomes more and more weird. His eyes become like little black holes of fury, probably from trying to suppress tears of rage. Most people come across as angry or frustrated when they start ranting and raving but Pearson appears to be somebody who may be genuinely a bit deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I remember it well, it was after a dull performance and he said it in a petulant and narky tone and stormed off. The writing was on the wall after that. Houllier had great attributes but could be quite petty and aloof towards players from what I can recall.

Advertisement