Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opticians?

Options
  • 30-04-2015 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm almost due to get new glasses from the Medical Card scheme and I'm wondering if anyone has good experiences with getting good quality glasses from opticians other than Specsavers.

I've been wearing glasses for a little over 10 years and have always bought them from Specsavers but I've never felt that their glasses have maintained good quality no matter how much I pay or how careful I am. Usually around the 6 month mark the nose grips start falling off, screws randomly fall out etc. I'm unsure if Specsavers glasses are generally poorer quality or if I've just been unlucky or maybe all glasses behave this way. Any suggestions?

Also if they take medical subsidies it would be a plus but not entirely necessary.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm biased but Eyecatchers has a good reputation and a wide brand of glasses. Not sure what you mean by medical subsidies!

Link; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eyecatchers-Opticians/362725457251722?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Delites

Second recommendation for Eyecatchers, ive been using them for years with no issues - my current pair are about 3 years old now and I've had no issues, wear them everyday and sometimes sleep in them... they were on the expensive side though.

They'll help you claim the cost of the test thought your PRSI if you're eleigible, they used to have a range of free glasses too for medical card/prsi, I would assume they still do...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Does Eyecatchers have this stuff like specksavers.
    Digital retinal photography is a sophisticated process that allows your Specsavers optician to take a detailed picture of the back of your eye. It helps us to closely monitor your eye health and it’s available in all our Specsavers stores.

But digital retinal photography doesn’t just help us spot sight-related problems. It can also highlight a range of other conditions, including diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, risk of a stroke and symptoms associated with brain tumours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Does Eyecatchers have this stuff like specksavers.

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Thanks for the replies. It seems like Eyecatchers is the way to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement