If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible receiver upgrade...

Options
  • 30-04-2015 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi,
        So I'm thinking of maybe upgrading the Onkyo 607 in my cinema room. 6 years ago since I got it off you, seems like yesterday :P

Anyways, just wondering what recommendations you guys would have. I'm only at the 'thinking about it' stage yet!

Checked out a few different ones online. Some of the Onkyos having bother? Ideally would want something fairly future proof. The 607 as you know cant do 3D, I'm not that bothered myself but nieces and nephews would watch, so would be good to get that going. Was thinking HDMI 2.0 but to be honest by the time I'd get around to upgrading to a 4k projector (when there is more content) I'd probably end up upgrading again anyways so this isn't such a big deal. Want fairly new model but no crazy prices :)  Up to €700 maybe. Current speaker setup is the MA Radius HD.

Cheers!

Chris

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

chris_ie wrote: »
    Hi,
        So I'm thinking of maybe upgrading the Onkyo 607 in my cinema room. 6 years ago since I got it off you, seems like yesterday :P

Anyways, just wondering what recommendations you guys would have. I'm only at the 'thinking about it' stage yet!

Checked out a few different ones online. Some of the Onkyos having bother? Ideally would want something fairly future proof. The 607 as you know cant do 3D, I'm not that bothered myself but nieces and nephews would watch, so would be good to get that going. Was thinking HDMI 2.0 but to be honest by the time I'd get around to upgrading to a 4k projector (when there is more content) I'd probably end up upgrading again anyways so this isn't such a big deal. Want fairly new model but no crazy prices :)  Up to €700 maybe. Current speaker setup is the MA Radius HD.

Cheers!

Chris
    Hi Chris_ie.

Thanks for coming back to us and glad to hear the 607 is still running.

There are many many new features and extras available.

Here are some receivers to have a look over.

Yamaha RXV677 priced at 439.99 Euro (5 star review What HiFi).
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200624-rxv677.aspx

The Sony STRDN1050 priced at 569.99 Euro (What hiFi 5 star award winner).
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200552-strdn1050.aspx

Up next would be the bigger brother of the 677 the RXV777 coming in at 669.99 Euro 
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200456-rxv777.aspx

Any of these would pair with your Radius with no problems.

Also just in case here is Onkyo's version the TXNR636 priced at 549.99 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12740-txnr636.aspx

Let me know what you think.

Any questions please ask.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

...or you could blow the budget (very slightly) and get the AVRX3100 at €799....:eek: Sorry should say €729.99

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/HomeTheater/AVReceivers/AVRX3100W

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Cheers guys! Those receivers look good. Wifi, bluetooth, airplay etc dont matter too much to me as this is for the cinema room. So movie use only and I have network connections in the room. Doesn't seem to be much between the RXV677 and the RXV777, feature wise nothing I'd be too bothered about. Sound wise, I'm not sure. The Sony looks good. Reviews are good. I'm guessing these would all be a decent upgrade on the 607 and that the MA Radius HD speakers wouldn't hold them back too much! Starting to get tempted.....

Of course John would come in with the just outside of your budget tease :P The reviews on the Denon are very good....

Cheers guys! Those receivers look good. Wifi, bluetooth, airplay etc dont matter too much to me as this is for the cinema room. So movie use only and I have network connections in the room. Doesn't seem to be much between the RXV677 and the RXV777, feature wise nothing I'd be too bothered about. Sound wise, I'm not sure. The Sony looks good. Reviews are good. I'm guessing these would all be a decent upgrade on the 607 and that the MA Radius HD speakers wouldn't hold them back too much! Starting to get tempted.....

Of course John would come in with the just outside of your budget tease :P The reviews on the Denon are very good....
    Hey Chris_ie.

They would all be a great upgrade from the 607.
    I upgraded a while ago from a 605 to a RXV673 and the difference was massive. I too run Monitor Audio speakers.

The Denon at the 729.99 Euro is a very good price as it is a beast of a receiver.

Hey Chris_ie.

I upgraded a while ago from a 605 to a RXV673 and the difference was massive. I too run Monitor Audio speakers.

The Denon at the 729.99 Euro is a very good price as it is a beast of a receiver.
    The only thing with the Denon is that I've seen it mentioned that the AVRX3100 is very similar to the AVRX2100 but without things like the second zone etc. which I dont require. There is more power in the 3100 and improved processing (?) but is it enough to warrant the extra money over the 2100? Main thing for me is getting the best sound quality for the money over the extra features like that, but I do realise alot of receivers are going for all these features anyways which pushes the price up.

• Advertisement

Hey Chris_ie.

The only thing with the Denon is that I've seen it mentioned that the AVRX3100 is very similar to the AVRX2100 but without things like the second zone etc. which I dont require. There is more power in the 3100 and improved processing (?) but is it enough to warrant the extra money over the 2100? Main thing for me is getting the best sound quality for the money over the extra features like that, but I do realise alot of receivers are going for all these features anyways which pushes the price up.
    Hi Chris_ie.

The 3100 is rated at 145W per channel over the 95W of the 2100.

The 3100 features"
    Featuring Audyssey's Gold suite of advanced DSP audio processing algorithms, the AVR-X3100W includes Audyssey MultEQ XT automatic room acoustic measurement and correction system, along with Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Audyssey Dynamic EQ. Audyssey DSX (Dynamic Surround Expansion) provides the ability to add front height or front wide speakers."

The 2100 Features"
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Featuring Audyssey's Silver suite of advanced DSP audio processing algorithms, the AVR-X2100W includes Audyssey MultEQ XT automatic room acoustic measurement and correction system, as well as Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Audyssey Dynamic EQ."[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Most receivers up around the 500 Euro plus will have as many extras as they add (Wireless,bluetooth etc....).[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hope this helps a little.[/font]

Hi Chris_ie.

The 3100 features"
    Featuring Audyssey's Gold suite of advanced DSP audio processing algorithms, the AVR-X3100W includes Audyssey MultEQ XT automatic room acoustic measurement and correction system, along with Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Audyssey Dynamic EQ. Audyssey DSX (Dynamic Surround Expansion) provides the ability to add front height or front wide speakers."

The 2100 Features"
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Featuring Audyssey's Silver suite of advanced DSP audio processing algorithms, the AVR-X2100W includes Audyssey MultEQ XT automatic room acoustic measurement and correction system, as well as Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Audyssey Dynamic EQ."[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Most receivers up around the 500 Euro plus will have as many extras as they add (Wireless,bluetooth etc....).[/font]

Isn't the 3100 105w per channel? Thought this wouldn't be a huge difference (R90s max at 100w?). The improved Audyssey would be useful but something that would be done initially (possibly only once). No plans for height speakers yet and unsure if the dynamic volume and eq would be a big differnce.

Not trying to be awkard! Ha. Just trying to get an idea of real sound quality difference between the two :)

Hi Chris_ie.

The 3100 features"

The 2100 Features"

Isn't the 3100 105w per channel? Thought this wouldn't be a huge difference (R90s max at 100w?). The improved Audyssey would be useful but something that would be done initially (possibly only once). No plans for height speakers yet and unsure if the dynamic volume and eq would be a big differnce.

Not trying to be awkard! Ha. Just trying to get an idea of real sound quality difference between the two :)
    Hey Chris_ie.

Checked the Denon website and they have the 3100 rated at 105W per channel. Not sure where I got the 145W.

As to the real difference in sound quality, I suppose the only way would be to try and get a listen to them.
    I've not heard the 3100 in action unfortunately. I have heard the 2100 and the 4100. The 2100 sounds good and the 4100 is fantastic. We run the 4100 in our demo room for Dolby Atmos and its very very very good indeed.

In my opinion the Sony and the Yamaha versions sound better than the 2100 and the 3100 would be up another level again.

Monitor Audio's website gives the R90 a rating of max 100W.

Hey Chris_ie.

Checked the Denon website and they have the 3100 rated at 105W per channel. Not sure where I got the 145W.

As to the real difference in sound quality, I suppose the only way would be to try and get a listen to them.
    I've not heard the 3100 in action unfortunately. I have heard the 2100 and the 4100. The 2100 sounds good and the 4100 is fantastic. We run the 4100 in our demo room for Dolby Atmos and its very very very good indeed.

In my opinion the Sony and the Yamaha versions sound better than the 2100 and the 3100 would be up another level again.

Cheers Kenny, I'll do some more reading up on them and get back you :)

Thanks!

Chris.

Hey Chris_ie.

Cheers Kenny, I'll do some more reading up on them and get back you :)

Thanks!

Chris.
    Hey Chris.

No problem at all.

Any more questions just drop me a post.

• Advertisement

Hey Chris.

No problem at all.

Just one more. Out of curiosity, what price have you got the for Denon 4100?

Hey Chris.

No problem at all.

Just one more. Out of curiosity, what price have you got the for Denon 4100?
    HI Chris_ie.

There has been a price drop in these lately so I'll need to confirm the current price.
    Once I confirm I'll pop it up for you.

HI Chris_ie.

There has been a price drop in these lately so I'll need to confirm the current price.
    Hi Kenny, any luck with that price?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

HI Chris_ie.

Hi Kenny, any luck with that price?
    X4100 is now down to £699..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks John, I've gone from thinking about just a nice upgrade to trying to get something that will have the newest tech (future proof)! Currently 4k isnt too appealing and I'm happy enough with the surround setup. Just dont want to upgrade then next year have a want to expand for Atmos to be limited by the receiver :)So I'm tempted by the 4100. I know there are a few possible issues with HDCP 2.2 around the corner, but it will likely be quite a while before I think on upgrading my projector for 4k so hopefully that wont be too much of an issue.

Cheers for all the info, I'll be in touch when I decide to bite the bullet.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks John, I've gone from thinking about just a nice upgrade to trying to get something that will have the newest tech (future proof)! Currently 4k isnt too appealing and I'm happy enough with the surround setup. Just dont want to upgrade then next year have a want to expand for Atmos to be limited by the receiver :)So I'm tempted by the 4100. I know there are a few possible issues with HDCP 2.2 around the corner, but it will likely be quite a while before I think on upgrading my projector for 4k so hopefully that wont be too much of an issue.

Cheers for all the info, I'll be in touch when I decide to bite the bullet.
    Hey Chris_ie.

No problem at all.

Let us know when your ready and we'll get you sorted :)

Just keeping you posted. After alot of reading I might hold off on this. I am very tempted but after reading up on DTS:X and Atmos I might hold out and see whats on offer in the new receivers or next year.

Thanks for all the info and don't worry I will be back to you when I upgrade! ;)In the meantime I might keep an eye out on your offers. I'm currently on a 5.1 setup. Could go to 7.1 with two R90's. Or maybe bump the two front R90s up to 225's and move the two R90's to the rear. But I'm sure I'd get away with sticking to R90's all round! Only thing is the odd shape behind the seats (as shown in the super hd attached diagram!).

Just keeping you posted. After alot of reading I might hold off on this. I am very tempted but after reading up on DTS:X and Atmos I might hold out and see whats on offer in the new receivers or next year.

Thanks for all the info and don't worry I will be back to you when I upgrade! ;)In the meantime I might keep an eye out on your offers. I'm currently on a 5.1 setup. Could go to 7.1 with two R90's. Or maybe bump the two front R90s up to 225's and move the two R90's to the rear. But I'm sure I'd get away with sticking to R90's all round! Only thing is the odd shape behind the seats (as shown in the super hd attached diagram!).
    Hey Chris_ie.

I'll keep my ear out for any deal coming up on the New radius range and drop you a post or PM.

For upgrading to 7.1 you could add side speakers or front highs. Going by your picture the sides would go between the front and rears down each side or the highs above the front speakers.

Cheers Kenny. The two surround speakers I have are just slightly over 90deg to listening position. Image may have made it look more. Was thinking on moving them forward slightly to be bang on 90 as I'd like the two rear speakers. The idea then being, further down the line when Atmos/DTS:X comes into play, I'd install 2/4 in ceiling speakers. But it's the placement of the rear right speaker that's the problem. Was thinking on putting a shelf there anyways that would bring it level and could incorporate the speaker in somehow.

Attached two photos of the actual room. (Subwoofer still not found a proper home yet hence the cable still showing! Still other bits and pieces to do aswell, never ends...)

The new Radius range, would the R90s differ much to what I have?

Cheers Kenny. The two surround speakers I have are just slightly over 90deg to listening position. Image may have made it look more. Was thinking on moving them forward slightly to be bang on 90 as I'd like the two rear speakers. The idea then being, further down the line when Atmos/DTS:X comes into play, I'd install 2/4 in ceiling speakers. But it's the placement of the rear right speaker that's the problem. Was thinking on putting a shelf there anyways that would bring it level and could incorporate the speaker in somehow.

Attached two photos of the actual room. (Subwoofer still not found a proper home yet hence the cable still showing! Still other bits and pieces to do aswell, never ends...)

The new Radius range, would the R90s differ much to what I have?
    Hi Chris_ie.

Yeah it it was me I'd move the rears forward to sides and add new rears in.
    Adding the Atoms in ceiling speakers would sound fantastic. We run Atoms here in our Demo room and it really does sound well.
    We are running an AVRX4100.

You could look at the Monitor Audio BXFX for the rears and mount them on the back wall either side of the door. The design of these speakers would help with the distribution of sound from the rear. Coming in at 295.00 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10816-bronze-bxfx-black.aspx

With the NEW Radius range while they look much they same they have developed the cabinet, along with the tweeter and driver given an overall richer more detailed sound.

• Advertisement

Hi Chris_ie.

Adding the Atoms in ceiling speakers would sound fantastic. We run Atoms here in our Demo room and it really does sound well.

You could look at the Monitor Audio BXFX for the rears and mount them on the back wall either side of the door. The design of these speakers would help with the distribution of sound from the rear. Coming in at 295.00 Euro

With the NEW Radius range while they look much they same they have developed the cabinet, along with the tweeter and driver given an overall richer more detailed sound.
    Yeah moving the sides would be easy enough, not that far to move to bring them to 90. When you say either side of the door, did you mean on the same wall? i.e. both on the 55" distance wall?? Would the audyssey setup correct enough for varying distance? As I mentioned I was thinking on putting a shelf there. I could incorporate a box/compartment for mini fridge and put the speaker beside that (like in attached rough drawing), would mean both speakers would be the same distance from the listening point (55"). Would the BXFX still be the better choice when the speakers can be set at the same distance from the listening position?

Hi Chris_ie.

Yeah moving the sides would be easy enough, not that far to move to bring them to 90. When you say either side of the door, did you mean on the same wall? i.e. both on the 55" distance wall?? Would the audyssey setup correct enough for varying distance? As I mentioned I was thinking on putting a shelf there. I could incorporate a box/compartment for mini fridge and put the speaker beside that (like in attached rough drawing), would mean both speakers would be the same distance from the listening point (55"). Would the BXFX still be the better choice when the speakers can be set at the same distance from the listening position?
    Hey Chris_ie.

I suppose there is no real right or wrong answer. A lot depends of person preference.

A pair of Radius 90's on the shelf would work well and keep in check with what you are already running.
    I mentioned the BXFX as the way they are designed also the tweeters mount on the sides to help bounce the sound. Although they would not get the best effect if mounted to tight to the box/compartment. (Wall mounted with fixings to the rear).
    I went down their route for my own set up over bookshelfs as I felt they open up the rear channels better for my listening.

The positioning may throw off the Audyssey setup but I feel its always better to manually set up the amp, again as everyone has different tastes in how they like things to sound and the setup can not give that.
    For example I run the DB on my rears a lot higher than the mic would set them up and also the DB on my sub higher. 
    I would recommend having a play around with the manual settings on any equipment.

Hey Chris_ie.

I suppose there is no real right or wrong answer. A lot depends of person preference.

A pair of Radius 90's on the shelf would work well and keep in check with what you are already running.
    I mentioned the BXFX as the way they are designed also the tweeters mount on the sides to help bounce the sound. Although they would not get the best effect if mounted to tight to the box/compartment. (Wall mounted with fixings to the rear).
    I went down their route for my own set up over bookshelfs as I felt they open up the rear channels better for my listening.

The positioning may throw off the Audyssey setup but I feel its always better to manually set up the amp, again as everyone has different tastes in how they like things to sound and the setup can not give that.
    For example I run the DB on my rears a lot higher than the mic would set them up and also the DB on my sub higher. 
    I would recommend having a play around with the manual settings on any equipment.
    Yeah I did similar with mine after the Audyssey setup, had to bump the center channel and think I didnt the surrounds as well. So just to clarify, did you mean having the BXFX's mounted right onto each wall, where the rear left would be 55" from listening position and the right being 107"? I suppose with them being rears it might not matter as much. Had just thought that the rear right could be blocked slightly to the left seating position by the door (closer) part. When you say that they would not be as effective if mounted to the box, is this because of the space that would exist behind the speaker?

Hey Chris_ie.

Yeah I did similar with mine after the Audyssey setup, had to bump the center channel and think I didnt the surrounds as well. So just to clarify, did you mean having the BXFX's mounted right onto each wall, where the rear left would be 55" from listening position and the right being 107"? I suppose with them being rears it might not matter as much. Had just thought that the rear right could be blocked slightly to the left seating position by the door (closer) part. When you say that they would not be as effective if mounted to the box, is this because of the space that would exist behind the speaker?
    Hi Chris_ie.

I would wall mount both on the back wall one either side of the door but out enough from the wall at either side.

At home I have mine wall mounted at head height directly behind my seating area.

The shape of the BXFX throws the sound in different directions and for me this gave a better feel for surround sound.
    With your door closed you should not get any blockage, door open may throw of the balance but I would say that while watching movies etc... the door would be closed. The door frame should not come in play as the BXFX would sit off the wall enough to pass this. With the shape of the them they suit wall mounting best as standing on a shelf they could be knocked over very easily.

When I mentioned about being to close to the cooler as the BXFX tweeters are angled. If placed right up beside the cooler then the audio would be dampened by firing at the cooler.

The 90's may be the best option for the job you require them to do. You could fit them tighter against the cooler as they would be firing forwards away from it.

Hi Chris_ie.

I would wall mount both on the back wall one either side of the door but out enough from the wall at either side.

At home I have mine wall mounted at head height directly behind my seating area.

The shape of the BXFX throws the sound in different directions and for me this gave a better feel for surround sound.
    With your door closed you should not get any blockage, door open may throw of the balance but I would say that while watching movies etc... the door would be closed. The door frame should not come in play as the BXFX would sit off the wall enough to pass this. With the shape of the them they suit wall mounting best as standing on a shelf they could be knocked over very easily.

When I mentioned about being to close to the cooler as the BXFX tweeters are angled. If placed right up beside the cooler then the audio would be dampened by firing at the cooler.

The 90's may be the best option for the job you require them to do. You could fit them tighter against the cooler as they would be firing forwards away from it.
    Yeah I get ya, thats what I had planned originally, but my concern was the different distances from the listening positions. The left speaker would be further back than the right speaker as the wall the the left speaker will be on (wall with the door) is further forward than the left. So a top down view of the back wall would have the speakers (SP1 & SP2) like this :

.________SP1________
    |................................|
    |................................|_--Door--____SP2______
    |.....................................................................|

Anyways, I'll stop wrecking your head about it now and see what I can figure out! :)

Cheers!

Hi Chris_ie.

Yeah I get ya, thats what I had planned originally, but my concern was the different distances from the listening positions. The left speaker would be further back than the right speaker as the wall the the left speaker will be on (wall with the door) is further forward than the left. So a top down view of the back wall would have the speakers (SP1 & SP2) like this :

.________SP1________
    |................................|
    |................................|_--Door--____SP2______
    |.....................................................................|

Anyways, I'll stop wrecking your head about it now and see what I can figure out! :)

Cheers!
    AHHH!. Now is see what you mean.

You could stick with the Radius 90's and set them on the shelf you are installing or you could maybe get a set of stands for the radius giving more flexibility for listening position. Or even only use one stand to bring the SP2 forward.

Let me know what you decided to run with :)

You could stick with the Radius 90's and set them on the shelf you are installing or you could maybe get a set of stands for the radius giving more flexibility for listening position. Or even only use one stand to bring the SP2 forward.

Let me know what you decided to run with :)
    :) Yeah will do. All my current R90s are wall mounted but I do have 4 MA Radius stands that arent being used at the minute so I could experiment with placement. I'll keep an eye out here for any exdemo etc offers for the R90's. Out of curiousity how much is it for a pair of black R90's? And I assume the newer versions would still work with the stands?

Let me know what you decided to run with :)
    :) Yeah will do. All my current R90s are wall mounted but I do have 4 MA Radius stands that arent being used at the minute so I could experiment with placement. I'll keep an eye out here for any exdemo etc offers for the R90's. Out of curiousity how much is it for a pair of black R90's? And I assume the newer versions would still work with the stands?
    Unfortunately the NEW Radius do not fit the old stands. We tried this out in store a while ago to confirm.

The new Radius 90's are coming in at £279.95 (I'm sure We could work out a better price for you on a set, Maybe around £230 ;) )

Unfortunately the NEW Radius do not fit the old stands. We tried this out in store a while ago to confirm.

The new Radius 90's are coming in at £279.95 (I'm sure We could work out a better price for you on a set, Maybe around £230 ;) )
    Ah crap, pity, would have been useful. If you ever hear of anyone looking for old stands give me a shout ;)If I was to get the new R90's I'm guessing it would be better to stick them at the front and use the existing for the rears then? The newer ones being better, although chances are I may not notice the difference.. Are the wall mounts the same? I'd also need to do some measuring as I need some more cable (Cambridge Audio UltraMicro). Will do some measuring later and I'll have a think about it :)Cheers.

Edit : Checked the site, the wall mounts are different, no big deal though.

• Advertisement

The new Radius 90's are coming in at £279.95 (I'm sure We could work out a better price for you on a set, Maybe around £230 ;) )
    Ah crap, pity, would have been useful. If you ever hear of anyone looking for old stands give me a shout ;)If I was to get the new R90's I'm guessing it would be better to stick them at the front and use the existing for the rears then? The newer ones being better, although chances are I may not notice the difference.. Are the wall mounts the same? I'd also need to do some measuring as I need some more cable (Cambridge Audio UltraMicro). Will do some measuring later and I'll have a think about it :)Cheers.

Edit : Checked the site, the wall mounts are different, no big deal though.
    Hey Chris_ie.

Yeah as you mentioned the wall mounts are also different on the new range.

I would put the new version in at the front and use the older ones for the rears.
    You should notice a difference between the two sets. We had a full 5.1 system running of the new range in our demo room and they did sound fantastic.

As always any questions let me know.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.