Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wellfield, Churchtown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

Idbatterim wrote: »
    these have just been completed pretty much across the road from my family home, similarish to the ones on grange hill, location incomparable though, again they are on a busy road though...

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/wellfield-upper-churchtown-road-dublin-14/3049991

I pass by these everyday on the way to the Luas into work. Do you think they're worth €800k? I think these could look pretty bad and outdated in a few years time.

If these were €600k, I could maybe, possibly, see them moving. But you would want your head examined to give €800k for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

D_D wrote: »
    I pass by these everyday on the way to the Luas into work. Do you think they're worth €800k? I think these could look pretty bad and outdated in a few years time.

If these were €600k, I could maybe, possibly, see them moving. But you would want your head examined to give €800k for these.

That location is excellent, if the finish is to a high standard they will probably sell at the asking. Personally I think they look a little small for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dont think they are worth 800, but ultimately what people are prepared to pay, is what they are worth, at that kind of money, I would be looking at the likes of the below and putting money into it and saving several hundred thousand!

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/98-beaumont-avenue-churchtown-dublin-14/2968272

I dont think they are worth 800, but ultimately what people are prepared to pay, is what they are worth, at that kind of money, I would be looking at the likes of the below and putting money into it and saving several hundred thousand!

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/98-beaumont-avenue-churchtown-dublin-14/2968272

In fairness that places looks like it needs to be nearly razed and rebuilt.

Lots of people want a turn key property and are prepared to pay for it. I've seen people reject houses that needed little more then some light redecorating because they were "too much work". I wouldn't be that way myself but there are people who will pay a significant premium for what hey consider to be a premium finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That location is excellent, if the finish is to a high standard they will probably sell at the asking. Personally I think they look a little small for the money.
    Again, you'd want your head examined IMO. Aside from a decent location in walking distance to Dundrum, they don't have particularly easy access to the city. They're also ugly as sin and have tiny north facing gardens.

Finish looks nice though. And I'm sure a lot of residents are glad they finally did something with that old petrol station site after it sat there looking like a bomb crater for the best part of ten years.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Again, you'd want your head examined IMO. Aside from a decent location in walking distance to Dundrum, they don't have particularly easy access to the city. They're also ugly as sin and have tiny north facing gardens.

Finish looks nice though. And I'm sure a lot of residents are glad they finally did something with that old petrol station site after it sat there looking like a bomb crater for the best part of ten years.

Access to the City is quite easy from there, 20 minutes by car, 30 minutes by bike. Traffic in the morning would be bad if you left it at all late though.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that but I don't think they are that ugly, I don't like that the balconies are so close together. I would expect many awkward afternoons trying to enjoy my balcony whilst pretending my neighbour isn't sitting mere feet away, or even worse, having to have a conversation with them.

As for needing mental evaluation that is ultimately a question of whether their value is going to go down or up and whether you can make the payments. I doubt those properties' value will increase greatly but they aren't going to go down either. that area is in very high demand and has been for many many years.

100% agree with this. It's good they have done something with the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they are less than a 10 minute walk to dundrum and windy arbour luas stops, close to several bus route, nutgrove and dundrum shopping centre, a huge amount of schools... there are also a large amount of local shops. I lived in rathfarnham before and hated it, back in churchtown now, incomparable location IMO...

god help the residents of the ones on grange hill, the m50 was a carpark between tallaght exit and dundrum yesterday morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

they are less than a 10 minute walk to dundrum and windy arbour luas stops, close to several bus route, nutgrove and dundrum shopping centre, a huge amount of schools...
    Oh, I know the area very well, it's a great location.

What I really mean is that its access to the city is not really a whole lot better than most along that ring, you're still talking 45-60 minutes to get into town on public transport on a typical morning (including walking time).

€800k for those properties seems like insane money when you've got places like this around: http://www.daft.ie/sales/2-lavarna-grove-terenure-dublin/1047364/

What I really mean is that its access to the city is not really a whole lot better than most along that ring, you're still talking 45-60 minutes to get into town on public transport on a typical morning (including walking time).

€800k for those properties seems like insane money when you've got places like this around: http://www.daft.ie/sales/2-lavarna-grove-terenure-dublin/1047364/

I do it every morning from Churchtown on the Luas and it's probably closer to 30 minutes. Maybe 35.

• Advertisement

60 minutes to town? Hardly, 10 minute walk to either of two luas stops and then 20 minutes to town at any time of day.

The house in the link is nice but the location isn't nearly as desirable as the property in Churchtown (you really are looking at 60 minutes to town on public transport from there), the house is going to need some work and decoration which wouldn't bother you or I but as said before, would rule it out completely for some people. So there is an argument that the property in Terenure makes the one in Churchtown look like good value.

If were in that end of the market id be considering this

http://www.daft.ie/sales/13-eaton-brae-rathgar-dublin/1052312/

Similar location but much larger accommodation. Would hope to et below the asking as it needs money spent to do a bit of modernization and improve the BER but you'd get a fantastic family home as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Iintripod

850k for that one and probably 50k to spend on it. I think earlier poster is right. Some people want something you can walk into that you don't have to spend a fortune on and not dealing with having people working in my house when I live there. Ive had another look at the website and finishes look good on grangehill.ie
    I know some people in pine valley across the road from it and they have no noise pollution from m50. When you look at prices in pine valley these seem to be decent value for what you get but I suppose I wont be making any judgements until I go and see what's included and what houses are like inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I know the builders in that church town development and generally their work and finishes are top drawer, they look lovely inside and the location is great but I don't like the look of them and for that money I would want a decent garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The location is far from excellent. Opens up on to a main road, sandwiched between 2 set of lights. Not great location if you have kids.

ted1 wrote: »
    The location is far from excellent. Opens up on to a main road, sandwiched between 2 set of lights. Not great location if you have kids.

None of that would bother me particularly, kids or not. 10 minutes walk from the Luas, Dundrum Shopping Centre at one end of the road, Aldi, Lidl and Nutgrove at the other end. City Centre 20 minutes in one direction, the Dublin Mountains 20 minutes in the other. There are very few locations in Dublin that can boast all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

None of that would bother me particularly, kids or not. 10 minutes walk from the Luas, Dundrum Shopping Centre at one end of the road, Aldi, Lidl and Nutgrove at the other end. City Centre 20 minutes in one direction, the Dublin Mountains 20 minutes in the other. There are very few locations in Dublin that can boast all of that.

I'm sorry but you don't have a clue about the location with those figures, did you take them from a sales brochure.

The luas is not a 10min walk away are you joking me :cool:

I'm sorry but you don't have a clue about the location with those figures, did you take them from a sales brochure.

The luas is not a 10min walk away are you joking me :cool:

Perhaps you misunderstand, I'm not talking about Grangehill, I'm referring to this similar development in Churchtown which I assure you is 10 minutes walk from Dundrum Luas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- just to clarify- a lump of posts have been moved from the 'Grange Hill Rathfarnham' thread to this 'Wellfield, Churchtown' thread- because it was getting damn confusing trying to figure which development people were talking about (as the thread meandered from its original intent).

If you want to talk about the Rathfarnham development- please post back there

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Perhaps you misunderstand, I'm not talking about Grangehill, I'm referring to this similar development in Churchtown which I assure you is 10 minutes walk from Dundrum Luas.

Yeah I was on the grange hill thread, apologies :D

• Advertisement

Holy lands in nutgrove tick all those boxes does not make them a desirable 🚀location

ted1 wrote: »
    Holy lands in nutgrove tick all those boxes does not make them a desirable 🚀location

Except we aren't talking about Holy Lands in Dundrum, we're talking about Churchtown. Noise and smell from the road would be my only issue, not sure why you think being between two sets of lights would be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

You're hardly comparing like with like there. Property you reference is about 800 sq feet smaller than the units in the new development.

Perhaps there is room to extend but you're opening up a pandora's box to take that development on. You've no idea what you're getting into until you start the build. There could be all sorts of structural remediation required to the existing structure.

Plus you'd need Planning permission to extend big enough to make up the square footage deficit between the 2 properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

If were in that end of the market id be considering this

http://www.daft.ie/sales/13-eaton-brae-rathgar-dublin/1052312/

Similar location but much larger accommodation. Would hope to et below the asking as it needs money spent to do a bit of modernization and improve the BER but you'd get a fantastic family home as a result.

Again, by square footage, this is smaller than the new development.

But I'd wager the location of this trumps that of churchtown.

And at this sort of budget, you probably have the means to pump some cash into bringing the finish up to spec and it wouldn't take too long to do really if you got your ducks in a row

GavMan wrote: »
    Again, by square footage, this is smaller than the new development.

But I'd wager the location of this trumps that of churchtown.

And at this sort of budget, you probably have the means to pump some cash into bringing the finish up to spec and it wouldn't take too long to do really if you got your ducks in a row

The new one is spread over 3 floors do you lose space with the extra stairs and landing etc

Advertisement