Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Bike, am I wasting my time with NSR 80

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'd be looking at anything from 250cc and up unless it's a cruiser style bike you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just my 2 cents and i know some will disagree.
    I wouldn't be bothered with any kind of a sports bike unless it's used for going fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Think the OPs gone home, or has already bought an nsr 80, talk among yourselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Think the OPs gone home, or has already bought an nsr 80, talk among yourselves :)

Bleeding NSR 80. Could not pull the skin off a hot chocolate.

Mind you , Aprilla did make the RS 50 and Cagiva had a 50cc "sports bike" if I remember right.

Edit : It was the Cagiva Mito 50. Just googled it. Much nicer looking than I remember. Like a mini Ducati

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

There was an NSR 50 too.

• Advertisement

pillphil wrote: »
    There was an NSR 50 too.

I suppose at 16 it's better than taking the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

pillphil wrote: »
    There was an NSR 50 too.

What'ya mean "was"

It lives!!!
    85438C4E-F175-46DB-8949-5014D22BD90B_zpsi8sisiuo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Could be one of those "watchers".....lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

"drive this on a full car licence" now there's a new one !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

KTR1C wrote: »
    "drive this on a full car licence" now there's a new one !! :rolleyes:

Older B licenses gave you AM for free. Not any more though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

I would strong advise against an NSR80. Very small bike. Really made for Japanese kids to learn racing on!

If I was buying my first bike again, I would get a hornet/gs500 or something of that style.

My first bike was a CBR250RR. What a bike but my god was it cramped!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

P.C. wrote: »
    Correct me here if I am wrong (which I probably am).

A FZ6 is not a sports bike, but more of a traditional style 600cc bike, well that is the way I understand it.
    Four years ago if you started on a 600cc bike you had to have it restricted. I understand that 'direct access' or IBT was introduced after 2011, but I could be wrong on that, it could well have been introduced before 2011.

Sorry what was the question again....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

FZ6 isn't a full on sportbike, it's a standard bike.

It has a much more comfortable riding position and throttle isn't as touchy. Power delivery is more linear and it revs slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

blade1 wrote: »
    What'ya mean "was"

It lives!!!
    85438C4E-F175-46DB-8949-5014D22BD90B_zpsi8sisiuo.png

needs body work , needs a bath

• Registered Users Posts: 3 madden101

hi, guys, I'm sixteen, not a small fella but I'm about to complete my theory etc and looking for advice on what bike would be suitable for me in the A1 category concerning cheap insurance tax reliability etc. Thanks for any help!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

madden101 wrote: »
    hi, guys, I'm sixteen, not a small fella but I'm about to complete my theory etc and looking for advice on what bike would be suitable for me in the A1 category concerning cheap insurance tax reliability etc. Thanks for any help!

Varadero 125 is a great bike if you can find one in good condition. Same physical size as the 1000cc version. Lots of people will think it's a bigger cc bike. Ideal for tall riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Sorry for the thread resurrection but needs must.

I've an 18yr old nephew commuting from Celbridge to Maynooth who is thinking of buying one of these as his first bike. He's a tall lad, at 6ft 4, but pretty slim so not massively heavy.

He was of course having wet dreams about a YZR125R but his insurance is coming in at €2000. Aprilia RS4 50 is coming in at €900 so I presume the NSR80 would come in around the €1200 mark.

I'm trying my best to push him towards a Honda CB125F/Yamaha YBR125 but not having much success as he is race replica mad.

He's got a budget of 2500 for bike/tax/insurance.

What do you suggest bike model wise. (I started off on a Yamaha V50 34 years ago and am way out of touch with insurance groups on current 5-10 year old 125's)

It's always been a rip off....
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=3032127

Stay well clear of the nsr80. A 6 foot 4 lad on one would be ridiculous. I cant stress enough how underpowered it would be.

Would he consider the likes of a Suzuki Burgman scooter or similar ?Would be perfect for that commute. Insurance should be reasonable enough too. Get a year of two NCB then step up to a "proper" bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Tzardine wrote: »
    Stay well clear of the nsr80. A 6 foot 4 lad on one would be ridiculous. I cant stress enough how underpowered it would be.

Would he consider the likes of a Suzuki Burgman scooter or similar ?Would be perfect for that commute. Insurance should be reasonable enough too. Get a year of two NCB then step up to a "proper" bike.

He was seriously considering an Aprilia RS4 50.

Like I said, race replica mad.

He won't hear of a twist and go, although purely from a commuting sense that makes perfect sense.

But remember back to when you were dreaming about your first bike......

I wasn't so image conscious and was just delighted at freedom my V50 and then my Yamaha F5A gave me. Then onto a Yamaha RS125.

But today's kids are very image conscious - I'd maybe put him on a TDR to give him a big bike feel but they are like hens teeth.

There's an odd Varadero 125 around but I'd be worried about how tired they are at this stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

At 6'4 he shouldn't bother with a bike until he can get an A2, you should tell him to get a car... A Convertible or one with a sun roof would probably be best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I had a Varadero 125 it's an option for that commute, should work well for his height too.

Coincidentally the one I sold 16 months or so ago is now back up for sale, at least I'm 99% it's it. Fella bought it for his son.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/varadero-125cc/24286843

This would have been well taken care of when by the new owner, it needed a new chain and sprockets and the throttle cable was a bit snatchy - looks like he's sorted all that.

Don't think it's done more than 2K miles since I sold it to him it did 65mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

When my young lad turns 16 I'll be getting him something like a Varadero 125 to learn on, the deal is he will not be allowed to take it out unless I'm with him until he passes his test, btw he's 12 and counting down the days :p

The vara is an easy to handle and maintain bike and one of the best starter bikes for young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

zubair wrote: »
    At 6'4 he shouldn't bother with a bike until he can get an A2, you should tell him to get a car... A Convertible or one with a sun roof would probably be best.

I'm 6ft4 myself and I find the majority of bikes cramped. The only thing I found to give me decent leg room was a BMW GSA with the seat in the high position.

Even on my Harley i had to put in extended foot boards and change the seat to one further back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Jaysus 6ft4 on an nsr. His back will be in bits on it
    Varadero is defo the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Never mind how unsuitable this bike is, I'd be amazed if you could find a half decent one - when did they stop making them? Small two-strokes get knackered fast. I saw a TDR125 a while back - first time in years - they used to be everywhere.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Claud 14.7 to 1

zubair wrote: »

I was thinking the same... wait until you are 17 and go straight for the proper bike licence. Small bikes aren't very good for big people due to low power versus weight and overall small size (cramped). With a full licence you can get a bike that will fit you properly and not struggle to shift the weight around so much.

I do understand you may be be eager to get going though, but really it's just 1 year (probably less if you are 16 already) and you'd save a lot of time and money and hassle. I guess there is no rush to get mobile for communting or something, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Age 17 makes no difference to what bike licence you can get. And passing a test makes no difference to what bike you can get...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I do understand you may be be eager to get going though, but really it's just 1 year (probably less if you are 16 already) and you'd save a lot of time and money and hassle. I guess there is no rush to get mobile for communting or something, is there?

But it isn't just one year, that's the thing. If you do the A1 and test, you're stuck on that for 2 years after your test before getting onto A2 anyway if you go for Progressive Access (whether by Test or by Training).

See the attached minefield progression table...

My idea is go for A1, and then depending on how your birthday falls...
    a) apply & pass the A1 test, accrue some kudos for that with insurers on your A1. You may be on a 125 longer than you think for other reasons anyway, so might as well gather any brownie points you can.
    b) If you hit 18 before your 2 years on full A1 is up, or even before you get to test, you just 'start' again on A2 as a learner by Direct Access. You'll still have an 'L' on your back, but at least you'll be out of harm's way on a full size bike.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement