Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What year Macbook do you have?

• 30-04-2015 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

I've an old Macbook Pro and Im running Mavericks 10.9.5. Ive heard from a friends that his 2011 Macbook Pro had problems because of Yosemite, and advised not to update.

Just curious does anyone here have an old Macbook that runs Yosemite? What year? Any problems?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

2009 MacBook Pro here. Runs well, but I erased it and set up as a new machine first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Early 2011 13inch MacBook pro, runs great but have 1TB SSHD and upgraded (8gb) memory. iPhoto is a bit slow to load but have >500GB photos/vids.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭redlik

Same here. 2011 15" upgraded with SSD + 8GB Ram.
    Had to turn off transparencies and blurring in accessibility setting.
    ...and switched browsing to Safari - Chrome was too much for it :-(((
    Other than that machine is still capable of running my stuff (Adobe, Mamp, code editors)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

2009 mac book, white plastic! Yosemite runs grand on it, but I only use it for internet and photos really! and i don't expect it to be lightning fast!

I've a mid 2012 13" pro pimped up to 16GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD

runs a total dream since the SSD upgrade

SSD is the best upgrade I've ever done

• Advertisement

bookalon wrote: »

+1. My 2009 machine runs great now there's an SSD in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

flyguy wrote: »
    Early 2011 13inch MacBook pro, runs great but have 1TB SSHD and upgraded (8gb) memory. iPhoto is a bit slow to load but have >500GB photos/vids.
    redlik wrote: »
    Same here. 2011 15" upgraded with SSD + 8GB Ram.
    Had to turn off transparencies and blurring in accessibility setting.
    ...and switched browsing to Safari - Chrome was too much for it :-(((
    Other than that machine is still capable of running my stuff (Adobe, Mamp, code editors)
    bookalon wrote: »

Zcott wrote: »
    +1. My 2009 machine runs great now there's an SSD in there.

Did ye put in the SSDs yourself or get someone else to do them?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭redlik

I've replaced it myself - not a big deal. Just open bottom flap and you'll have all the guts ready for replacement.
    Same with RAM.
    R

I did it myself. It's an easy job because they make all the important bits very accessible and there are great tutorials. Usually it's a case of take off bottom cover, take off hard drive brackets, unplug hard drive, repeat in reverse order.

Zcott wrote: »
    I did it myself. It's an easy job because they make all the important bits very accessible and there are great tutorials. Usually it's a case of take off bottom cover, take off hard drive brackets, unplug hard drive, repeat in reverse order.

agree a easy upgrade loads of how to's online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Did it myself as well, plenty of how-to's on YouTube or google it.
    If you want to keep all your files you're going to need a backup or there's a way to exactly copy your drive to the new one (you'll need some additional parts/cables then). I did it the recommended way (or so it seems if I google) and made a boot disk (actually usb drive) removed the old disk, installed new one after that use the boot disk to install OS which then let's you restore one of the time capsule backups.
    I needed a 1TB drive and I didn't feel I wanted to spend that much on my 3+ year old machine so I opted for a SShybridDrive, it was only around £65 (Amazon). The hybrid drive is mainly conventional drive with a small ssd part. It's smart so it will install the stuff it needs most/often on the ssd bit. It massively speeded up perf on my MacBook, not as much as an ssd but it cut startup time in half (at least) and I saw more of an improvement than with the ram upgrade (which costs around the same from 4 to 8 gb). Just check reviews on Amazon for the seagate SSHD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Running 10.7 on a mid-2011 Macbook Air with 4 Gb RAM. Running perfectly, handles my occasional photo editing just fine.

Was thinking about upgrading, but it feels like a waste of money given how well this machine is still running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

2012 running 10.10.3, no problems at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Aiden101

Ive currently got an early 2011, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro and previously upgraded the RAM from 8GB to 16GB DDR3, as well as removing the superdrive and replacing both it and the HD, with two crucial m4 512gb solid state drives.

Does anyone here have a rough idea what kind of price range i could ask for if i was going to try and sell it? I haven't a clue. From looking at similar ones online, the prices seem to be all over the place. I know its pretty old in laptop years but it still in perfect condition.

Planning on upgrading to a newer model at some stage this year. All help appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo 2.
    Upgraded to 8GB RAM a year or two after purchase. And switched to 500GB SSD about 2 years ago...only using 80GB of it at the moment! Upgrading to SSD made a hell of a difference to the speed of the machine!

Current OS is OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

I don't have any issues or problems running it on my machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I have a mid 2012 MBA, running 10.10 perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Deadwards.com

Hi all,

Just seeking a bit of advise, I have a mid 209 MBP 13 inch. I have upgraded the ram from 4gb to its max of 8gb. I wasn't planning on changing it as it serves my need at the moment but I would really like to speed it us as it can take an age to boot up since the last IOS update. I was reading here about the benefits of changing the hard drive to an SSD and wonder if the 250GB Samsung 850 EVO Series SATA 6Gbps SSD Solid State Disk 2.5-inch powered by 3D V-Nand on Memory C (sorry I cant post the link), would work for this generation of MBP?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mid 2011 MacBook Air with 4GB of ram. absolutely screams along, unless i'm using xcode with a particularly large project.

Will probably wait another year/18 months for the new MacBook to get a refresh which hopefully will have enough power by then to be comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Late 2014 15" Macbook Pro Retina, fully upgraded specs (2.8GHz Corei7, 1TB SSD etc.) - It's a beast and is ultimately a desktop replacement for me. Actually beats my current desktop 3.4Ghz in hardware encoding and multicore performance. Love it, although I do wish it was lighter.

I generally upgrade every 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Have a mid-2012 13" cMBP which I have upgraded with 8GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD. Runs pretty much anything I want. Boots in 12 seconds and shuts down in 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I have a 2012 cmbp, 16gb ram and 500gb crucial ssd mx100 I think.

Upgrades cost me about €350, I love my Mac, it's only running on dual core i5 but it's never under pressure. Use it for Internet, movies, some html graphic stuff and create the odd I movie for friends. Wouldn't mind sticking the old HD in the Super Drive part at some stage. It's also permanently attached to a 2k monitor.

Interertingly though, I also have a mid 2011 MacBook Air with upgraded 240gb ssd from OWC. That only has 2gb Ram but it's upgraded to Yosemite which I think has actually improved its performance. Only use it as a net book really and for watching movies in the bed, but I love that little machine. Got it second hand last Christmas 12 months for €400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Elessar wrote: »
    Late 2014 15" Macbook Pro Retina, fully upgraded specs (2.8GHz Corei7, 1TB SSD etc.) - It's a beast and is ultimately a desktop replacement for me. Actually beats my current desktop 3.4Ghz in hardware encoding and multicore performance. Love it, although I do wish it was lighter.

I generally upgrade every 4 years.

Wow, that's a nicely specced machine.

Advertisement