Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If vote yes,can brothers get marry?

• 30-04-2015 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭

I just want to know

If We say yes to referendum,

if man and man can get marry,Can parents get marry with their children(adult) can brother marry with his brother/sister?If we say no to them,why not?

Can man marry marry with 2 more women? if we say no,why not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Can brothers and sisters currently marry? It's the same answer to all questions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

All the posts here are archived and on the internet forever.
    At some point, certain people's kids and grandkids will see the posts and exclaim that they never knew their grandmother was such a childish bigot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

In Ireland incest can only take place between a male and a female...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1908/en/act/pub/0045/print.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I know it sounds really out there, but when will it stop. Next is... Paedophiles are born that way and can't change who they are, so we should decriminalize that act and allow get married or have relations with kids? Will I be labelled paedophobic if I disagree with it? Or humans with animals?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Jaysus op what are you saying a mother marries her son or sisters marry each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I know it sounds really out there, but when will it stop. Next is... Paedophiles are born that way and can't change who they are, so we should decriminalize that act and allow get married or have relations with kids? Will I be labelled paedophobic if I disagree with it? Or humans with animals?

I'm going to pretend the above query is serious.
    Paedophilia can never be A valid option as a child can never give consent. Paedophilia will always be wrong as consent can never be given by a child to an adult.
    Comparing paedophilia to homosexuality is simply incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Meanwhile, back in the early 20th Century, when female suffrage was being debated:

"Well, if you’re going to allow women to vote, aren’t you effectively also extending the franchise to children? Perhaps hamsters should be allowed to vote too."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

How borderline simple.
    I think the word you are forgetting in "consenting".
    No normal functioning individual would be in favour of animals and humans marrying or allowing paedophilia.
    Two adults wanting to get married is pretty normal IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Honestly you have to wonder at people who ask these sorts of questions.

Have you no critical faculties whatsoever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Why are you fools responding to this with serious answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Without proper legislation, this could happen!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

Youse have been warned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Fuzzy wrote: »

That'd be me! Unfortunately there's so many people who actually ask these questions seriously it can be hard to tell the trolls from the real thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭wenxue

RayM wrote: »
    Meanwhile, back in the early 20th Century, when female suffrage was being debated:

"Well, if you’re going to allow women to vote, aren’t you effectively also extending the franchise to children? Perhaps hamsters should be allowed to vote too."

that's totally different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

If vote yes,can brothers get marry?
    I'm sure black guys are legally allowed to get married at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

wenxue wrote: »
    that's totally different

Good. Good. Just a couple more steps; you're almost there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The answer is: No, brothers won't be able to marry brothers.

Here's the file with the words of the Bill:
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/General%20Scheme%20of%20the%20Marriage%20Bill%202015.pdf/Files/General%20Scheme%20of%20the%20Marriage%20Bill%202015.pdf

Here's the section on what isn't allowed:
    Head 6: Prohibited degrees of relationship in marriage
    Provide that:
    6._ (1) Any prohibition on marriage between persons of the opposite sex based on
    the degree of consanguinity or affinity between them contained in any provision of
    law shall, with the necessary changes, be construed as applying to marriage between
    persons of the same sex within the equivalent degree of consanguinity or, as the case
    may be, affinity.
    (2) Any marriage entered into contrary to the prohibition contained in subsection (1) shall be void.

Notice the word "consanguinity". Here's it's wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consanguinity

So, where the old law only had a list of women to be not married, "consanguinity" means the it'll also apply to the menfolk.

Here's the "consanguinity" picture. If you see men in the same box as women, the new law will treat them like the old law only treated women:
    300px-Table_of_Consanguinity_showing_degrees_of_relationship.png

Citizens information has the list of the women who can't be married here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/getting_married/legal_prerequisites_for_marriage.html
    Consanguinity – blood relationships

A man may not marry his:

Grandmother
    Mother
    Father’s sister (aunt)
    Mother’s sister (aunt)
    Sister
    Father’s Daughter (half sister)
    Mother’s Daughter (half sister)
    Daughter
    Son’s Daughter (granddaughter)
    Daughter’s Daughter (granddaughter)
    Brother’s Daughter (niece)
    Sister’s Daughter (niece)

So, because Sister is included in the old law, brother would be included in the new law.

Really? Discussing it when you could've googled it? Really?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fuzzy wrote: »

Mod: Because it's a serious forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I know it sounds really out there, but when will it stop. Next is... Paedophiles are born that way and can't change who they are, so we should decriminalize that act and allow get married or have relations with kids? Will I be labelled paedophobic if I disagree with it? Or humans with animals?[/QUOTE

What a complete idiotic comment............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I just want to know

if man and man can get marry,Can parents get marry with their children(adult) can brother marry with his brother/sister?If we say no to them,why not?

Like when I last watched Borat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I just want to know

You're astonishingly stupid. I won't insult your use of the English language because it's clearly not your first language. But seriously, where did you find incest and bigamy being discussed regarding the upcoming referendum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The question has been answered, I think we'll leave it there for everybodies sake.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement