Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make a complaint

• 30-04-2015 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I started <snip> course in September last year, it has been nothing but hardship.

For example, our most dominant module <snip> the instructor refuses to use the online website "web courses" for material, he instead insists of handing out 100s of sheets which are poorly photocopied from a book. His lectures consist of him blabbering on for 3 hours amongst 60 people with no engagement whatsoever.

Our labs for example <snip> the instructor has two classes at the one time, so for the two hour session he is not there. This is also the same with <snip> labs, new instructor has no engagement, will not help when you ask a question he seems to pick and choose who he likes to engage with.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Take it to the Student Union or the head of the college.
    Please don't make allegations about individual lecturers or courses on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

1)im sure this will get you far
    http://www.ditsu.ie/union/news-publications/news/rate-your-course/

2)apparently they read the q6c surveys so may want to do that

3)finally ask your class rep to send an email explaining that you would find it a lot more beneficial to have the notes digitally (or send an email yourself)

No luck go up the line (only after emailing the lecturer ) to your year head.
    If still no luck your course head
    then school head
    finally the college head
    finally quit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭stevek93

bpb101 wrote: »
    1)im sure this will get you far
    http://www.ditsu.ie/union/news-publications/news/rate-your-course/

2)apparently they read the q6c surveys so may want to do that

3)finally ask your class rep to send an email explaining that you would find it a lot more beneficial to have the notes digitally (or send an email yourself)

No luck go up the line (only after emailing the lecturer ) to your year head.
    If still no luck your course head
    then school head
    finally the college head
    finally quit

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

We had an issue with a lecturer not showing up/not actually knowing the material in second year, which we were compensated for at the end of the year with lectures from another lecturer. She was absolutely awful and I have no idea how she even got the job. She's still pulling that crap to this day (as far as I know), but we were compensated in the end, so it wasn't too bad.

Two years down the line, we had another lecturer who reeeeeeeeeeally didn't bother at all. He came in to the practicals, waited ten minutes to see if anyone wanted to ask any questions, and left. Nice guy and the material was easy enough (everyone did quite well in his module), and we complained about him not showing up to class, resulting in him starting to show up a lot more. To be fair, he did attend lectures just fine, even if he was always ten minutes late.

A few years later, I heard through the grapevine that another year had similar troubles with him, but decided to "get back" at him by complaining that they smelled alcohol off of him during lectures (Which was absolutely out of character for him. I'm not trying to defend his actions, but he wasn't THAT bad).

The students of that course had the results of one (though possibly several, I do not know) assignment docked marks, allowing them to only get a maximum of a pass by another lecturer, who was a friend of the lecturer they said came in smelling of alcohol.

In summary: Do not take anything personally, do exactly what bpb101 said, make sure that if the rest of your class tries to pull some crap like I mentioned before that you cover your ass or try to stop them, because you can easily be lumped in with the possible offenders.

I think leaving the course is a bit extreme for two lecturers not being up to scratch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

a fat guy wrote: »
    cohol.

In summary: Do not take anything personally, do exactly what bpb101 said, make sure that if the rest of your class tries to pull some crap like I mentioned before that you cover your ass or try to stop them, because you can easily be lumped in with the possible offenders.
    cover your arse is a big thing and do ask your lecturer first
    99/100 they dont want to see you fail.

i had a lecturer who i got on very well with and i though he was great but got a bit pissed when somebody went over his head about an assignment without first email him

99% will go out of their way to help their students.
    he may think he doing good by printing out the notes as some students may prefer to study this way and then they don't have the expense of printing out the sheets. He could have just said go out an buy this book ,its a requirement for the year and leave you to shell out 50/60 quid
    if the lectuer is not their for labs due to a timetabling issue , this should be brought up . He cant be in the lab if he has lecturers. He doesnt write his timetable
    As the year head to contact the school about changing it.

timetabling is poor in dit
    i had 2 lectures on a monday where i had a lecturer at 9 and the same lecturer at 1 again, neither us or the lecturer were doing anything inbetween that time , we both had to just wait around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

For future reference, what you do is get your class rep to correspond through email with the lecturer early on in the year. Explain what issues the class has and ways you suggest they're resolved. Always be diplomatic, and make sure it's never personal. Always make sure it's in writing. If nothing changes, bring this issue and proof of your correspondence to the head of your school. Show them that you've made an effort. If you have nothing in writing, there's nothing they can do.

Advertisement