Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Changing a devices apple id

• 30-04-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭

without losing the apps?
    My wife is a teacher and set up a new ipad air buying lots of app's etc however she used her own apple id. Can she change the account on the ipad air and link the apps on it to the new account while retaining her own account for her phone? Not an apple user myself and slow to go playing with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

backup the device to a laptop,

restore the device to factory settings

set up device and choose your new apple ID

then restore the devices backup from the previous ID

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

@Balmed Out
    I don't get why you'd want to do that? Does she have to return the iPad? Surely not with the apps she paid for on it? If she's keeping the iPad just use the same Apple ID on the iPhone and re-download the apps on that (without charge if same ID is used). You can use the same Apple ID on multiple devices.
    If you want to leave the apps on the iPad and use a different ID sign out of the App Store and log in with new one. One problem would be that every time an app has an update the iPad will ask for the ID and password it was purchased with. Afaik you can't transfer purchases to a new ID, you could possibly use family sharing; sharing purchases with multiple Apple IDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not clear why it needs to be done but perhaps family sharing is also a solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Just kids use the ipad without her present and another teacher would be using it next year. She would have paid herself for apps but nothing very expensive but would like the next teacher to have access to them too. If I do what rfoley suggests would her id still be needed for updates ?

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Just kids use the ipad without her present and another teacher would be using it next year. She would have paid herself for apps but nothing very expensive but would like the next teacher to have access to them too. If I do what rfoley suggests would her id still be needed for updates ?

Thanks for the replies

Rfoley's idea is pointless. No matter what you do, if you use a different Apple ID, the previously purchased apps will need the old Apple ID to be updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I think the best solution would be while you still have the iPad just use the same Apple ID on both devices.
    When you pass it on reset it to new (erase it) then add the Apple ID of the new user to family sharing and the new user be able to download ANY app/movie/song/book that you have (so also maybe ones that you don't want them to have).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Just sign out of the Apple ID that as used for the Apps and then sign in with the Apple ID she now wants to use.

Those Apps will remain there on the iPad. Any time they need updating it will ask for the older Apple ID, just input that password and they will update.

So this should be a solution no?

Advertisement