Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get into vinyl. Not sure what turntable to buy?

Options
  • 30-04-2015 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

So I've been wanting to get into vinyl for some time now but I don't know where to start learning about them.
    I have 2 albums already and really want to get some more, but what kind of turntable should I buy.

I saw a couple around town, and one in HMV for €99 but I feel skeptical about it. Is a 99 euro turntable any good in terms of the sound quality that comes from it? I don't want some plastic cheap yoke if you know what I mean.

http://www.hmv.ie/Steepletone-ST929RBLK-Black-Silver-Turntable-/movies-games-entertainment/pd/73822 is one I saw on the HMV website although not the same as the small white one I saw in store.

What would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Something like that will get you up and running, but I would imagine you would outgrow it soon enough. It has features that you really probably don't need (crappy little speakers, USB port, Aux in...)

I was in your position about 18 months ago. My set-up - a €50 numark turntable, new from adverts (more dj-ish but it is belt driven and not direct), a €20 30 year old amp from e-Bay, my old hi-fi speakers, and a does-the-job €20 needle from an ebay store.

Is it audiophile? Course not, but I'm on a tight budget. Would I take something like my set-up over a €99 HMV all in one? Every time.
    Has it gotten me back into actually listening to music? YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

noby wrote: »
    Something like that will get you up and running, but I would imagine you would outgrow it soon enough. It has features that you really probably don't need (crappy little speakers, USB port, Aux in...)

I was in your position about 18 months ago. My set-up - a €50 numark turntable, new from adverts (more dj-ish but it is belt driven and not direct), a €20 30 year old amp from e-Bay, my old hi-fi speakers, and a does-the-job €20 needle from an ebay store.

Is it audiophile? Course not, but I'm on a tight budget. Would I take something like my set-up over a €99 HMV all in one? Every time.
    Has it gotten me back into actually listening to music? YES!

Yeah having done some research since making this, I'm completely put off spending that much for a player. Sounds like a terrible idea that will destroy my vinyls.

Think I'm going to try spend more along the lines of 200 or so, and get a decent setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Have a look on adverts.ie too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

Here's what I'm thinking of buying. Seems ok for a first time setup :)

brUFnhY.png

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Have a look on adverts.ie too.

I did but it's hard for a newbie like me to know whats good, and whats not. Adverts can be hard to judge sometimes, there's nothing that really caught my eye anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

After going through a few crappy plasticky turntables that all failed within months I moved on to the Stanton T62. Served me great for nigh on 3 years so far.

You'll need a preamp though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement