Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat rod.

Options
  • 30-04-2015 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I got a present of a penn commander 30 lw. I was looking for some advice for what boat rod I should get for it. I've a small buget of 50 to 100 euros. It's for general use. Tope ,mackerel etc. I'll look at a second hand one too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

It's quite a bulky reel - great for wrecks. Givein its size, you probably want a chunky rod to balance it. The Penn Squadron is quite inexpensive and would probably match it. There are loads of rods - keep it simple! For example the Abu Seven is cheap but it's a straightforward no-nonsense rod that would match your reel well. I't just stay away from the very light stuff, like the Daiwa Saltist - it just wouldn't match your reel at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

Its a massive reel in size. I was looking at an ugly stick. But not sure which poundage to go for.

bpmurray wrote:
    It's quite a bulky reel - great for wrecks. Givein its size, you probably want a chunky rod to balance it. The Penn Squadron is quite inexpensive and would probably match it. There are loads of rods - keep it simple! For example the Abu Seven is cheap but it's a straightforward no-nonsense rod that would match your reel well. I't just stay away from the very light stuff, like the Daiwa Saltist - it just wouldn't match your reel at all.

I had a look at the abu seven. I think I'll go for that . Thanks for the advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AnglingMad

The advice you have above is sound and I dont mean to be out of order and maybe you have other lighter rods/outfits but just a thought if you have not. I would add a bit of spin here and say that may be rather than looking for a rod to go with the reel you focus down on what type of fishing you will mainly be doing. I have fished tope alot and never use anything bigger than a 20/30lb class rod and mainly I use an abu Suveran uptide rod with a abu700LD. So if you are not going to be fishing much in conditions which need you to use heavy weight ie over 1lb for big fish in deep water such pollack/ conger, shark etc then I would try and exchange it for payment toward a 20/30lb class outfit.

I ended up trading in the penn reel. I went with the abu seven ag and a 8 foot shakespeare agility rod 30 pound. I'm heading out next Friday to test them out. Thanks for the advise. ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Cap1 wrote: »
    I ended up trading in the penn reel. I went with the abu seven ag and a 8 foot shakespeare agility rod 30 pound. I'm heading out next Friday to test them out. Thanks for the advise. ðŸ‘

Sounds like a nice set-up. Have fun with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AnglingMad

good move enjoy and tightlines

Advertisement