Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uninstall Steam game fully

• 30-04-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I've bought a game on Steam, but it's acting strangely due to a history involving some cousins. I'd like to uninstall it and clean up whatever's on my HD from before, but the only instructions I could find were to 'remove local content' and 'validate content' neither of which had any effect.

I can see the game in my list of programs in Control Panel, so if I uninstall from there, and then redownload via Steam, should that clear everything up? Is there anything I should do in Steam first or instead?

Comments

Remove local content should delete the game. What do you mean it had no effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Well I removed local content, then Steam took about 60 minutes to re-download some stuff, but the issues I'm having were still there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

You sure it's not just the game itself? Like Bioshock has trouble running on Windows 7 and needs some messing about.

What game and what's happening?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's because you had a, let's say, non legit version of the game beforehand it's probably something it screwed up in the registry in which case it's a hell of a lot more difficult to fix.

I can neither confirm nor deny Retrogamer's statement (but yeah, that's it). So a full uninstall via Control Panel may not even adjust the registry?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll have to find the registry entries and change them and well that's not something that is easy or recommended to do. Save a windows reinstall you might be boned unless you can google help on it. The installed game is probably detecting those registry entries that the pirate game made and not booting or else the pirate copy just plain screwed up the registry for that game.

Ok, shame, but thanks anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You could always run ccleaner after you uninstall it, which will remove any old registry entries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

corblimey wrote: »
    Well I removed local content, then Steam took about 60 minutes to re-download some stuff, but the issues I'm having were still there

You might not have cleared all the local content though, check in the c\users\"username"\My Documents or c\users\"username"\Saved Games and delete what ever you can find relating to the game. Then run Ccleaner reg cleaner as Kiith said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Kiith wrote: »
    You could always run ccleaner after you uninstall it, which will remove any old registry entries.

What Kiith said. Uninstall the game and run ccleaner both its cleaner option and registry option

• Advertisement

I guess I should, but ccleaner scares me (unless they've revised it since I last used it) as it tends towards over-cleaning imho. It's not affecting the game too badly, I appear to be getting updates from the publisher, etc, there's just some achievements I have that I shouldn't have, and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

There might be some stuff left in AppData that is messing with things. You can remove this stuff manually but you'll need to unhide folders etc (google it) and I don't recommend deleting anything in there unless you're sure. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Revo uninstaller is very good for getting rid of badly installed applications. It has a thirty day free trial so its handy for rare occasions like this. Usually with Revo I would re-install the application with Revo (if it has a setup file) so it can track every change that is being made during setup and then uninstall using Revo again. If you can't reinstall then you can also get Revo to try its best to find the dependencies of the application and allow you to uninstall it bit by bit so you can confirm every file and registry key deletion as you uninstall.

Its a good reason not to use dodgy applications as who knows what else is installed in your PC now.

Definitely nothing obvious in AppData, I think the registry is probably the place to look, although I did a quick search and couldn't find anything obvious there either. After playing with it for a few weeks though, I sort of want to keep the busted version, the only downside appears to be I'm not getting any of the Steam achievements, which while they'd be nice to add to my CV, have little effect on my life. And when/if I buy a new PC, the version on Steam then will be clean and legit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Give ccleaner a go. You can turn off any auto options in the menu, and i use it regularly without any problems. I'd consider it a must have application on any computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

+1 for ccleaner.

Uninstall then run the registry cleaner.

Advertisement