Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed v Variable rate mortgages

Options
  • 30-04-2015 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm slightly confused about something. It seems that fixed rate mortgages have a lower APR than variable mortgages. Instinctively I would have thought it would be the other way around as a fixed mortgage comes with the security of having a stead rate for as many years as you sign up to.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing because I must be missing something?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm slightly confused about something. It seems that fixed rate mortgages have a lower APR than variable mortgages. Instinctively I would have thought it would be the other way around as a fixed mortgage comes with the security of having a stead rate for as many years as you sign up to.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing because I must be missing something?

Thanks

Fixed rates will normally be lower than variable rates when rates are on a downward trajectory; vice versa when rates are on an upward trajectory.

You are right, though, that there should be a premium attached to fixed rates. However, that premium is relative to the expected average rate over the fixed-rate period, rather than to the rate as it stands on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

hognef wrote: »
    Fixed rates will normally be lower than variable rates when rates are on a downward trajectory; vice versa when rates are on an upward trajectory.

You are right, though, that there should be a premium attached to fixed rates. However, that premium is relative to the expected average rate over the fixed-rate period, rather than to the rate as it stands on day one.

Thanks, that's very helpful and clears it right up. I see that fixed rates are currently lower than variable rates. I had also thought the market is now back on an upward trajectory, wouldn't that indicate that variable rates should also be on an upward trajectory and thus the fixed rates should be higher than variable?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Thanks, that's very helpful and clears it right up. I see that fixed rates are currently lower than variable rates. I had also thought the market is now back on an upward trajectory, wouldn't that indicate that variable rates should also be on an upward trajectory and thus the fixed rates should be higher than variable?

Ireland has among the highest rates of all Euro countries, so there's still downward pressure here. The EU economies are also still slow, and inflation is below target, so I don't think anything is actually pointing upwards yet, though of course there's speculation (hope?) that this may start maybe 18 to 24 months from now.

There's probably also an element of discounted rates to attract new customers (and which may be available only to those new customers), which may be set below the 'normal' levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

hognef wrote: »
    Ireland has among the highest rates of all Euro countries, so there's still downward pressure here. The EU economies are also still slow, and inflation is below target, so I don't think anything is actually pointing upwards yet, though of course there's speculation (hope?) that this may start maybe 18 to 24 months from now.

There's probably also an element of discounted rates to attract new customers (and which may be available only to those new customers), which may be set below the 'normal' levels.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Advertisement