Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible to find a house swap online

Options
  • 30-04-2015 11:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

Been trying for the past 2 or so years to find a decent house swap online. Not working at all. I check gumtree and a few of the irish ad sites but there's never any luck with them. Every time I mention that our house is in tallaght, they either say they'd never go near tallaght or end up being ignored. Can anybody give me some pointers on what to do? Getting put on the council list is something that never works so we're pretty much giving up hope.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just sell the house and buy somewhere else? Arranging a swap seems needlessly complicated or is there something I am missing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just sell the house and buy somewhere else? Arranging a swap seems needlessly complicated or is there something I am missing here?

Council house. He hasn't mentioned where in Tallaght either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

But the last line of the OP says he isn't on the council list so how can it be a council house?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 RambuzzH

Yeah our estate is ran by nabco. Its basically the same thing as the council. And its in brookfield.

But the last line of the OP says he isn't on the council list so how can it be a council house?

Na we're well able to be put on the council list but we never get any good results. The areas that people also want to move out of are terrible. I wouldn't even vist most of those areas in an armoured truck lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

S/he means the council transfer list.

Already in social housing, so not eligible to be on the list anymore - unless circumstances have changed and the current house is no longer suitable.

OP - have you had more children? Or has a family member become sick or disabled? Or would you be willing to trade down to a smaller place? (I don't know if any councils facilitate that). If any of those things (or similar) apply to you, then contact the council anyways.

If all else fails, can you find a more creative way to describe your address than Tallagh? (I don't know the area at all, so don't have clues to give).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

RambuzzH wrote: »
    The areas that people also want to move out of are terrible. I wouldn't even vist most of those areas in an armoured truck lol

Seriously, have a think about what you wrote there

S/he means the council transfer list.

Already in social housing, so not eligible to be on the list anymore - unless circumstances have changed and the current house is no longer suitable.

OP - have you had more children? Or has a family member become sick or disabled? Or would you be willing to trade down to a smaller place? (I don't know if any councils facilitate that). If any of those things (or similar) apply to you, then contact the council anyways.

If all else fails, can you find a more creative way to describe your address than Tallagh? (I don't know the area at all, so don't have clues to give).
    No we're able to be put on the council list for a transfair but it never works. We've been trying the transfair list for 10 or so years already. The only people we've came across on the list are living in an even worse area than us so its pointless. And yeah I'm living in brookfield tallaght. Right beside jobstown.

surpy wrote: »
    Seriously, have a think about what you wrote there
    Why are you offended or something? Its true, half of tallaght is filled with scumbags. Id be very picky about where id go or move to in this area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

RambuzzH - I would direct you to read our Forum's Charter.
    It is not appropriate to make comments such as this.
    Read- and comply with the forum's charter, if you intend to continue posting in this forum.

Regards,

The_Conductor

• Advertisement

RambuzzH - I would direct you to read our Forum's Charter.
    It is not appropriate to make comments such as this.
    Read- and comply with the forum's charter, if you intend to continue posting in this forum.

Regards,

The_Conductor

Are all you mods ban hungry on here or something? What are you even talking about? All I stated was that tallaght is a bad area. Which it is. Hows that go against the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Are all you mods ban hungry on here or something? What are you even talking about? All I stated was that tallaght is a bad area.

No, mods aren't ban hungry, but there is no need for you to go insulting people. While Tallaght may not be the best area, there is no need to tar half the population with an insulting remark. Please keep it civil, especially when you are seeking constructive advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why are you offended or something? Its true, half of tallaght is filled with scumbags. Id be very picky about where id go or move to in this area.
    Frankly, you've no right to be picky tbh. If you want that privilege you need to find a way to rent/buy privately.

Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Paulw wrote: »
    No, mods aren't ban hungry, but there is no need for you to go insulting people. While Tallaght may not be the best area, there is no need to tar half the population with an insulting remark. Please keep it civil, especially when you are seeking constructive advice.

Maybe it was an exaggeration when I said half of the people in tallaght are bad. But I'll still say that a very strong portion of this area is bad. No denying the truth at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You live in Brookfield.

Unless someone has family in that area or connections, I doubt it'll be an area people would be willing to move to.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Frankly, you've no right to be picky tbh. If you want that privilege you need to find a way to rent/buy privately.

Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Such useful advice thanks. I'm sure if I had the money to rent privately I would. Sadly I'm still in the process of saving and building my CV. We're not all rich you know.

fussyonion wrote: »
    You live in Brookfield.

Unless someone has family in that area or connections, I doubt it'll be an area people would be willing to move to.

Well you'd never know. Its a big enough house and Its beside pretty much everything. I'm sure if a family with young kids seen the house they'd consider it. As long as they have the mindstate to keep their head down and not involve with many people around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Such useful advice thanks. I'm sure if I had the money to rent privately I would. Sadly I'm still in the process of saving and building my CV. We're not all rich you know.
    Saving?

LOL, you're better off than most private renters if you can afford to save.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Saving?

LOL, you're better off than most private renters if you can afford to save.

Saving for a car and to pay off all that comes with it. So I don't have to use public transport <Mod edit: no need to be dramatic> . Trust me, if I had a big enough income to save for a new place I would. Surviving in the current kip I live in is more important though so saving for a car is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Saving for a car and to pay off all that comes with it. So I don't have to use public transport. Trust me, if I had a big enough income to save for a new place I would. Surviving in the current kip I live in is more important though so saving for a car is a must.

You just said where you live is a kip.
    And you're wondering why people won't move there?!

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    You just said where you live is a kip.
    And you're wondering why people won't move there?!

Well there's some people who don't care where they live. Maybe they would like the estate or the house. Also why are you still posting here? You're not helping me at all so move on and do something else with your time. Same for you mods. Haven't you got better things to do than to edit my post for no reason at all? And I have been started on and chased after probably more than 50 times in the past 15 years so why are you removing my post? idiots

lol autistic mods nitpicking peoples posts. Such a pathetic form of life. All guys have time to do anything you want on this planet and you choose to be a forum mod working for minimum wage. Congrats. You all must feel like ****e. Have fun living the rest of your life on your computer screen achieving nothing but health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod Note: And you're done!

Mods are volunteers, no minimum wage at all - if you're going to insult someone try do it well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement