Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Suzuki Bandit 600cc oil help

• 30-04-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi please bare with me as I'm just back to biking after a long hiatus

I bought a 00 bandit 600 today and the oil light is on,

What oil would people recommend ? And if an oil filter change needed every oil change?

Where is the best place to get the oil and filters (online or in Dublin area)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You definitely need a filter every time. There's no point in changing oil without doing the filter too (unless you're laying the bike up for winter for example). I'd be concerned about where the lost oil is gone too, btw. Check for leaks and if there are none, make sure you have enough for topping up.

I wouldn't think a Bandit 600 would need anything special, oil wise. Just go for a premium brand in the correct grade recommended. You'll have to go for bike oil too- even if the grade is correct, if you use car oil it'll interfere with your clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

Thanks for that

Any ideas where to get an oil filter?

Also the bandit takes 4 stroke oil?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Any bike shop will have oil and filter. A 10w40 semi synthetic will be fine. Yes it is four stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

10w40 Semi synthetic Motorcycle specific oil, NOT car oil.
    Motul 5100 would be a good oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Agree on the Motul 5100. I run it in my Bandit 1200. Find it helps with the gear shifts which tend to be clunky on the bandits.

Cotters stock it. About 45 quid if I remember rightly.

Don't skimp on the oil.

Regarding the leak here are a few places to check on the bandits.

1. Rubber washers on top of head. There are 8 of them.
    2. Signal cover gasket (right hand side of engine , where your foot is )
    3. Starter motor cover gasket (left hand side )

Are you getting any smoke when the engine is running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

pittsburgh wrote: »
    Hi please bare with me as I'm just back to biking after a long hiatus

I bought a 00 bandit 600 today and the oil light is on,

What oil would people recommend ? And if an oil filter change needed every oil change?

Where is the best place to get the oil and filters (online or in Dublin area)

Thanks!

Does the oil light stay on though, you know it comes on every time you start and should then go out?! Have you actually checked the oil level, you can have your oil level right and still have the warning light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

zubair wrote: »
    Does the oil light stay on though, you know it comes on every time you start and should then go out?! Have you actually checked the oil level, you can have your oil level right and still have the warning light.

Yeah do you mean the oil light is on when she's running ?

That's true op you need to check the oil level pronto
    I have never seen an oil light come on for low oil (I know it could) but only for low pressure
    If your oil is so low that there low pressure that's bad but it should hopefully be ok once topped up and the leak identified
    But if there is plenty of oil then That's a low oil pressure issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

you bought a bike with the oil light on? first problem right there Im afraid..

the oil light isnt like a low petrol light (as in, top up at your convenience), it means stop the engine immediately to avoid damaging it. How long did the previous owner drive it with the oil light on? :(

book usually recommends filter every second change, but they're very cheap, and you're getting your hands dirty anyway..

Thanks for the help

It had not been riden for a while, bought it off a friend!

Will do the filter while I'm at it, Is there any decent bike shops that would stock the oil and filter!? In South Dublin or city centres?

Mega bikes on Camden street only know I know off?

Thanks

cottermc is handy enough, and should have everything

megabikes are good though too

if you're not in an immediate rush, I use motorcycleshop.ie regular enough. Should get free postage too. Also check morrisonbhp.net

• Advertisement

I am not riding it yet waiting for my new lisence to arrive.

No smoke when it's running no,

I will check if it's the actual oil level

Am I right in thinking 3.5 litres should cover the oil change and filter?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

pittsburgh wrote: »
    I am not riding it yet waiting for my new lisence to arrive.

No smoke when it's running no,

I will check if it's the actual oil level

Am I right in thinking 3.5 litres should cover the oil change and filter?
    Thanks

3.5 L is correct but if it is low on oil already it may take a bit more. Full oil capacity on them is around 4L. Either way one large jug of oil will do it. They are usually 4L.

typically get bike oil in a 4l bottle, and that'll cover you. It might say on the bike somewhere the different capacities ('dry', 'just oil change', 'oil and filter change'), but you never get it all out, so dont go measuring exactly 3.2l etc back in - use the dipstick/sight glass and fill to the mark :)

Advertisement