Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel back box depth

Options
  • 30-04-2015 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Folks, in a domestic situation, for a double socket is there a usual depth of back box used? 25, 35, 47 or something like that.
    Standard socket for a TV for example.

I should add that I'm not attempting to wire mine or anyone elses house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

standard 25mm

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

standard 25mm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

35mm would be standard now. Most flatline sockets require this depth.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Flood wrote: »
    35mm would be standard now. Most flatline sockets require this depth.

This does make sense with that type of socket.
    However the downside is that a bit more chasing is required.

2011 wrote: »
    However the downside is that a bit more chasing is required.

What do you suggest to be an amicable solution?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What do you suggest to be an amicable solution?

If you select a flatline type socket make sure you select a back box that is deep enough to accommodate it.

2011 wrote: »
    If you select a flatline type socket make sure you select a back box that is deep enough to accommodate it.

Problem there is people wire houses first and choose sockets later! Or decide to upgrade sockets in the kitchen because they saw how nice they looked on grand designs!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

I've decided on 'fancy' sockets for certain areas and I know what depth back boxes are required for these. Was left with locations where I have hidden sockets so simple white sockets will be fitted.
    Electrician is doing labour only job and said to get 'standard' back boxes (then went on hols). So standard for me will be 25mm. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

So standard for me will be 25mm.

To me that would be shallow rather than standard. But at the end of the day it's not going to be my problem whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Risteard81 wrote: »
    To me that would be shallow rather than standard. But at the end of the day it's not going to be my problem whatever you decide to do.

You're right, it won't be your problem. Thanks for posting.

• Advertisement

Problem there is people wire houses first and choose sockets later! Or decide to upgrade sockets in the kitchen because they saw how nice they looked on grand designs!

Yes, this can happen. I found myself at the receiving end of this once :)

All I can say is that in my own experience this is quite rare. Chasing all of the boxes in a house can be quite time consuming (depending on the situation) and may inflate the price. In the current climate this has the potential to loose a electrical contactor a rewire. My approach would be to inform the customer of the consequences of not going for the deep box and letting them make the call. Most will be more than happy not going for flatline. I am a fan of the MK Logic Plus myself and found that most customers are too. They use the "standard" back box.

Advertisement