Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names] - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

ivytwine wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear of your dad's experiences. I don't doubt there are good priests and clergy- and the altar boy jokes on that page aren't funny tbh, much prefer the random "mass as a music festival" ones. To my mind the church did far more harm than good and it still has far too much power in this country. Which is why it's no harm it's getting a slagging.

Also those people you mention would be good people regardless of their faith. Having religion doesn't make you a good person.

But my point is having religion does not necessarily make you a bad person either. I just think its poor form to slag off people's beliefs as some people take it very seriously. If people start doing something similar to another religion, there would be fisticuffs.

The Church as a whole did a lot of harm and had too much power and I would have no problem in telling people that.

Some of the jokes are funny(Judas was the best one) when you read them first, but others are just gutter crap!

Its always wise not to get embroiled in topics such as religion, sex or politics as people hold such diverse views and very easy to insult people.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Got my cholesterol taken and it's a bit high. [/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The nurse asked me why I think this is?[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I said I had a rasher for breakfast. [/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Turns out cholesterol is a long term thing, not a 'had a rasher 2 hours ago' thing "[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Posted by a family member (not close relative)

Accompanied by a letter from said fr Bennett about the Facebook page basically being the end of humanity.

This is the response of Fr Martin Bennett to the Facebook page Mass event set up recently I was very sad to see some of the young people i hold dear to me have actually joined in on this I stated before that I find it a very offensive page & what has happened to political correctness I thought we are supposed to respect others believes & way of life ? In my own humble opinion I'd never make fun of anyone for either their beliefs or life choices so why is it ok to make fun and be so blasphemous to Christianity I'm deeply saddened by this and OK it's ok to have a sense of humour but some of the things on there are nothing short of diabolical it's sad time's I mean is there not enough hatred in the world already towards Christianity countless amount of people have been killed & maimed because of their beliefs does anyone really know who it is that started this online abuse?

anewme wrote: »
    My dad grew up in an Irish industrial school in the 1940's. He could tell you stories that woukd make the hair in your head stand. He could tell you stories of people, so evil, that no one, let alone an orphan child should experience.

But he coukd tell you of fantastic people, who worked tirelessly every day to better the lives of those kids. Who dedicated their lives to their God and their beliefs.

And in the memores of a now 75 year old man, good triumphs over evil, and the good stories generate happy memories.

Please don't disrespect the beliefs of those people. They saved a lot of lives.

Apologies to all for taking the thread off topic- life isn't always as simple as it seems though.

Those great people could do great work anyway. Some fake stories in a book are hardly needed to make them be nice to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Those great people could do great work anyway. Some fake stories in a book are hardly needed to make them be nice to people.

It's about respecting views of others I suppose.

I would not run down something down that someone else believed in.

Its hardly the end of humanity, but if you were not well up on the ways of Facebook and Social Media, you would think it was an awful thing altogehter.

My Dad says computers should be burned...he blames that internet yoke on everything.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

anewme wrote: »
    If people start doing something similar to another religion, there would be fisticuffs.

Absolutely. Often the ones making anti Catholic remarks would be the first to get irate about that. Why is it ok to demean one group and not another?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

"I'm just saying you no why are u slagen god all time u no some people have been true a lot and lost people very close to them and they pray to god to help them get true the difficult time just saying what if you and all the people that put up stupid comments way if all of u was I'll use would be praying to god to help u half has are muppets think of other people yeah peace out"

Posted by a family member (not close relative)

Accompanied by a letter from said fr Bennett about the Facebook page basically being the end of humanity.

This is the response of Fr Martin Bennett to the Facebook page Mass event set up recently I was very sad to see some of the young people i hold dear to me have actually joined in on this I stated before that I find it a very offensive page & what has happened to political correctness I thought we are supposed to respect others believes & way of life ? In my own humble opinion I'd never make fun of anyone for either their beliefs or life choices so why is it ok to make fun and be so blasphemous to Christianity I'm deeply saddened by this and OK it's ok to have a sense of humour but some of the things on there are nothing short of diabolical it's sad time's I mean is there not enough hatred in the world already towards Christianity countless amount of people have been killed & maimed because of their beliefs does anyone really know who it is that started this online abuse?

It's ''diabolical'', eh? Very apt

True but it's more powerful to have people doing good things en masse such as foreign aid work or respite places for people with disabilities and the elderly . They also do some of the work most people don't want to do.An example of the members of the organisation helping people is the Vatican's escape network for persecuted Jews during WWII.

I see no members of other religions being collectively vilified like the members of the RC Church are. It just wouldn't be PC.

I see no members of other religions being collectively vilified like the members of the RC Church are. It just wouldn't be PC.

All religions are as stupid as each other and as open to ridicule imo.

No other religion has had such a stranglehold on this country and fight tooth and nail to maintain it . Of course the catholic church is going to have more focus on it here. Just a pity it took so long for us to become enlightened here and that its still running so slowly.

• Advertisement

All religions are as stupid as each other and as open to ridicule imo.

No other religion has had such a stranglehold on this country and fight tooth and nail to maintain it . Of course the catholic church is going to have more focus on it here. Just a pity it took so long for us to become enlightened here and that its still running so slowly.

We can all see beyond our own shores and get some perspective surely. I can understand people being bitterly anti church if they have been abused by a priest or went to a bad industrial school.

We can all see beyond our own shores and get some perspective surely. I can understand people being bitterly anti church if they have been abused by a priest or went to a bad industrial school.

You dont have to have suffered directly at the hands of the church to not want them to have any part in the running of the country or anything outside of the churches own work that people voluntarily engage in (and I dont consider sending your kids to the only viable option, school wise, as voluntarily engaging with the church and wanting them to educate your kids)

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Hey, you know what would be brilliant? If everyone could get past this religion /anti religion thing, and get back to the 'Dumb / Great Facebook Status" thread that used to be here....

You dont have to have suffered directly at the hands of the church to not want them to have any part in the running of the country or anything outside of the churches own work that people voluntarily engage in (and I dont consider sending your kids to the only viable option, school wise, as voluntarily engaging with the church and wanting them to educate your kids)

It's not about wanting secular education though. I want the same. I don't get vitriolic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

It's not about wanting secular education though. I want the same. I don't get vitriolic about it.

NOOOO, GO AWAY WITH THE CHURCH TALK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

coolhull wrote: »
    Hey, you know what would be brilliant? If everyone could get past this religion /anti religion thing, and get back to the 'Dumb / Great Facebook Status" thread that used to be here....

Amen to that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

" I Already Did Clear My Name I Put My Hand On The Bible In Knock That i did not sleep with my nephew Martin his a married man its his wife thats saying this if i did why is she still living with him shes gone crazy in the head now she's going back on it she's saying she didn't say that. There's A Rumor going around that I was meant to be caught in bed with my nephew Its Lies I Swear in My Mother Its not true Please Share This "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Daroxtar wrote: »
    " I Already Did Clear My Name I Put My Hand On The Bible In Knock That i did not sleep with my nephew Martin his a married man its his wife thats saying this if i did why is she still living with him shes gone crazy in the head now she's going back on it she's saying she didn't say that. There's A Rumor going around that I was meant to be caught in bed with my nephew Its Lies I Swear in My Mother Its not true Please Share This "

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

WHY WOULD YOU SHARE THAT!!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I forgot to mention it was posted by a fella :D

• Advertisement

::eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The main obstacle seems to be the fact that his nephew's a married man.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That gives the "I swear in my mother" a new whole meaning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

rawn wrote: »
    WHY WOULD YOU SHARE THAT!!!??

She shared more than that by the look of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I have a friend who changes her profile picture every day, sometimes twice.

Every hour, she puts up a selfie. She is a nice person but I counted the amount of selfies that she put up today and it's at eight already! I don't know who is the worser eegit, her for over sharing or me for actually counting them :/:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Olishi4 wrote: »
    I have a friend who changes her profile picture every day, sometimes twice.

Every hour, she puts up a selfie. She is a nice person but I counted the amount of selfies that she put up today and it's at eight already! I don't know who is the worser eegit, her for over sharing or me for actually counting them :/:)

My sister recently had a child is also getting married next month, a million pics of the child and a million updates and countdowns about the wedding, it makes me so mad at times! She's grand in reality, I did say it to her before about her over use of fb, it wasn't received that warmly so now I have to bite my tongue and just scroll past everything she posts and never like any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

dinorebel wrote: »
    She He shared more than that by the look of it.

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

My sister recently had a child is also getting married next month...
    Would they not let her do the Leaving first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

X down the road playing with a shopping trolley...its a big day that first real experience of a council estate childhood. Except he keeps rattin on everyone so you can tell hes a newbie. Plus his mas sitting on the wall watching him like a halk. Come halloween he'll be an estate veteran and filling it up with robbed tyres for the bonfire. Brings a tear to my eye. They grow up so far. Hahaha

• Advertisement

"So its not extra hour in bed .read this i make sence .brunettes have brains haha .so im in bed at 12 alarm set for 7-45 k dats 7hrs 45mins sleep .the clocks go back at 12 n my alarm is still set for 7:45 but cz the clock goes back it be 6:45 an wen its 12 its 11 thats still 7hrs 45mins sleep 😂😂😂 booyea 😂😂"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement