Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names] - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

infogiver wrote: »
    It's possible that the Facebook updater is in reality a sibling resentful of all the attention the sick child is getting

Anything is possible. But you'd think the rest of the family would crack up if a sibling posted that their brother had died when he hadn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Sounds like a parent suffering from a form of munchaushen by proxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Yeeah, especially if it's happened more than once (family might have dealt with said sibling privately and not broadcast that they had). But since it happened at least twice, there's something a bit worrying going on there, and I'd be concerned for the child at the centre of it all. I won't go so far as to agree outright with M-b-p, but I must admit I thought about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

For sale - Bran new fir jacket. Never warn

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

infogiver wrote: »
    It's possible that the Facebook updater is in reality a sibling resentful of all the attention the sick child is getting

It's not, he's an only child. Munchausen by proxy was something that came into my head too. I normally don't get caught up in the whole vague booking thing on FB but it's quite sad in this case.

No further developments on the matter since then anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

For sale - Bran new fir jacket. Never warn

Jesus.

Fur sail - Bran nu Spel Cheker. Nevair yused ....

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Fighting!!! Big C !!! Well, I'm gonna say bye-bye to some of you. Now I'm watching the ones who will have the time to read this post until the end. This is a little test, just to see who reads and who shares without reading! If you have read everything, select "like" so I can put a thank u on ur profile! I know that 97% of you won't broadcast this, but my friends will be the 3% that do.
    Please, in honor of someone who died, or is fighting cancer, or even had cancer, copy, and paste.
    Write "done" in comments when you're finished. I can put a thank u on ur profile! I know that 97% of you won't broadcast this, but my friends will be the 3% that do.
    Please, in honor of someone who died, or is fighting cancer, or even had cancer, copy, and paste. Write "done" in comments when you're finished. . .

Another one of these. Have seen it 5-6 times already today...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭recyclops

fierce amount of statisticians on facebook, they always seem to know the percentage of their friends who would repost or broadcast the posts

Another one just popped up -

A friend of a friend begging for help with speeding up her passport application, complete with screenshots of her Twitter Direct Messages with the Passport Office account complaining that they won't allow her to jump the queue because she didn't allow enough time before she's due to fly out to Tenerife (complete with kids, who will be missing 1 week+ of school...).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

recyclops wrote: »
    fierce amount of statisticians on facebook, they always seem to know the percentage of their friends who would repost or broadcast the posts

It's always 97% won't repost, meaning 3% will share or whatever they have to do.

Now most of these people have 5000 friends so that means 150 of their friends will share their post.
    And each of those 150 people who shared the post, 3% of their friends will share aswel!!!

Now I'm no statistician but that's a lot of people sharing the same post! If only the post that they were sharing actually had a decent message! That's free advertising at its best!

Share if you agree, 97% of you won't but I know the 3% of my friends who will hahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've often wondered, if people "know the 3% who will share this", why not just share your stuff with those 3%, and leave the other 97% in peace? I have different friends lists based on their areas of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thoie wrote: »
    I have different friends lists based on their areas of interest.
    I thought I was the only nerd in the world who does this. I have a separate list for family only that I use for any pictures of kids.

Do many other people do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just seen a post celebrating the fact they got rent allowance sorted..

Yeah fair play to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Lost cat..has one eye and missing right back leg. Half his tail is missing and he only has one testical...he answers to the name of lucky.. pm me if you see him

mackeire wrote: »
    Lost cat..has one eye and missing right back leg. Half his tail is missing and he only has one testical...he answers to the name of lucky.. pm me if you see him

That a real shame cos today I found a cat with only one eye, and his back right leg is missing. He also has only half his tail. Unfortunately, he's not your cat, because when I checked his testicals, he had the required number.
    Ah, well, I'll keep an eye out for yours tomorrow......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I thought I was the only nerd in the world who does this. I have a separate list for family only that I use for any pictures of kids.

Do many other people do this?

I thought most normal people would, but based on this thread I'm starting to redefine "normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

"64 dys scence I lst saw u. Stil cnt beleeve ur gne! :( Ontill we see again (heart)"

This person added me this evening, looked at their page and this was the most recent posts. Of course I understand that people will mourn on facebook and for the most part that is okay. Almost every day since her "bestst" friend died she has posted stuff like that. Rest of her page is filled with videos of makeup videos. This all in what appears to be a 30 year old woman.

I'm sorry you lost your friend, but Block.

I do wonder though, why do people post these things on Facebook in the first place? I experienced the death of a close friend not too long ago and the last thing I would consider is posting that on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

JCX BXC wrote: »

I do wonder though, why do people post these things on Facebook in the first place? I experienced the death of a close friend not too long ago and the last thing I would consider is posting that on Facebook.

Because Facebook is one big group conversion,. Personally I don't mind when people use it to vent their feelings when they're feeling sad/lonely/grieving, it's better to talk about those feelings than to not talk about them. But I can understand why people get annoyed by it, as some people are just more private with those feelings than others!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

"64 dys scence I lst saw u. Stil cnt beleeve ur gne! :( Ontill we see again (heart)"

This person added me this evening, looked at their page and this was the most recent posts. Of course I understand that people will mourn on facebook and for the most part that is okay. Almost every day since her "bestst" friend died she has posted stuff like that. Rest of her page is filled with videos of makeup videos. This all in what appears to be a 30 year old woman.

I'm sorry you lost your friend, but Block.

They do seem to get comfort in expressing themselves in this way, especially adding emojis and memes they've found. Some of the sentiments expressed in the memes could be comforting and representative of how grief makes them feel, sad, angry, confused etc...
    But the best thing is the response from family and friends
    Dozens of broken heart emojis "keep that chin up""PM me Hun""so sad" comments all work together to the effect that they feel their grief is being acknowledged.
    I suppose it does no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I suppose I've always got that element of it. It's not an uncommon thing to see.

Of course the above is an extreme example, there is a point when it turns from grief to attention seeking, although that is comparatively rare. Agree/Disagree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's not the public display of grief that I have a problem with. It's the fcuking standard of English. What the fcuk are people learning in school, certainly not English anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's not the public display of grief that I have a problem with. It's the fcuking standard of English. What the fcuk are people learning in school, certainly not English anyway.

rip your with d angles now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

"DO NOT ACCEPT A FRIEND REQUEST FROM A CHRISOPHER DAVIES AND JESSICA DAVIES THEY ARE HACKERS. TELL EVERY 1 ON YOUR LIST BECAUSE IF SOMEBODY ON YOUR LIST ADDS HIM, HE'LL BE ON YOUR LIST TOO. HE'LL FIGURE OUT UR COMPUTER'S ID AND ADDRESS , SO COPY & PASTE THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE EVEN IF U DON'T CARE. Please also
    Tell all contacts from your list not to accept a video called the "Dance of the Pope". It is a virus that formats your mobile. Beware it is very dangerous. They announced it today on the radio. Fwd this msg to as many as you can!"

No mention of "copy and paste, don't share!", I'm shocked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

"64 dys scence I lst saw u. Stil cnt beleeve ur gne! Ontill we see again (heart)"

Translation:

64 days science! I list Saw University! Style Cúnt bell evening your gown! On tile, we see again a heart!

Simple…

"DO NOT ACCEPT A FRIEND REQUEST FROM A CHRISOPHER DAVIES AND JESSICA DAVIES THEY ARE HACKERS. TELL EVERY 1 ON YOUR LIST BECAUSE IF SOMEBODY ON YOUR LIST ADDS HIM, HE'LL BE ON YOUR LIST TOO. HE'LL FIGURE OUT UR COMPUTER'S ID AND ADDRESS , SO COPY & PASTE THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE EVEN IF U DON'T CARE. Please also
    Tell all contacts from your list not to accept a video called the "Dance of the Pope". It is a virus that formats your mobile. Beware it is very dangerous. They announced it today on the radio. Fwd this msg to as many as you can!"

Poor ould Christy and Jessie up the road must be wondering why nobody is replying to their 'friend' requests. He's in his eighties, she's seventy four. Blacklisted, just because they share a name with a hacker somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

coolhull wrote: »

Poor ould Christy and Jessie up the road must be wondering why nobody is replying to their 'friend' requests. He's in his eighties, she's seventy four. Blacklisted, just because they share a name with a hacker somewhere.

And the Pope must be wondering why he's not getting any YouTube hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

'Look out for those who look out for you, loyalty is everything'
    On an image of Connor McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Say ad do what U want, not what other pll ask u. as in fake
    friends ar to afraid to say or do[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f44d.pngðŸ‘[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. Ur a one being person. Not a whole circle of fake
    friend's[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f44e.png👎[/font]
    [/color
    ][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] or an bad
    apple[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f34e.pngðŸŽ[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] everyone always has in there
    family[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f44e.png👎[/font]
    [/color
    ][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. Get you to do there dirty
    work[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f60f.pngðŸ˜[/font]
    [c
    olor=#1d2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. U do what makes u feel comfortable ad u no what's
    right[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f44a.png👊[/font]
    [/color
    ][font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f449.png👉[/font]
    [/color
    ][font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f645_200d_2640.png🙅[/font][/si
    ze]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. Ur U, not anyone else. Rember that when ur ask to b the
    messenger[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f601.pngðŸ˜[/font]
    [
    color=#1d2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] or do something that makes u very
    uncomfortable[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]263a.png[/font]
    [co
    lor=#1d2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif], or even if u have an gout instinct. Always follow ur instinct it never
    inclined to let u Down[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,

[font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]2753.png[/font]
    [co
    lor=#1d2129][font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]2757.png[/font]
    [co
    lor=#1d2129][font=Helvetica, Arial,
    [/color
    ][font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f603.pngðŸ˜႒[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] that my quot just a
    thought [/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f61c.png😜[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] life is urs take ad control it. Don't let others control it for
    u[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f603.pngðŸ˜႒[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial,

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]or u,ll end up as bad minded as
    them[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f621.png😡[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]2753.png[/font]
    [co
    lor=#1d2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] don't be strong say no. See who'll standstill by ur side
    then[/font]
    [/color][font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]1f609.png😉[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]that's who u no who ur friends are
    like [/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial,
    [/color
    ][font=Helvetica, Arial,

[font=Helvetica, Arial,
    sans-serif]2757.png[/font]

That hurt my eyes.

His school friend told him that no one would say happy birthday to him because of his desease :(
    He is 11 years today ����������
    Please do not scroll without typing "Happy Birthday."

Complete with photo of the poor kid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

coolhull wrote: »
    That a real shame cos today I found a cat with only one eye, and his back right leg is missing. He also has only half his tail. Unfortunately, he's not your cat, because when I checked his testicals, he had the required number.
    Ah, well, I'll keep an eye out for yours tomorrow......

Could be handy for parts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement