Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names] - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Owryan wrote: »
    Friend of a Friend just posted a status congratulating their daughter on passing her final year college exams. Naturally they posted a photo of said exam results.

Lots of comments offering congratulations and praise...... Except the final result is fail 😱😱. 3 subjects are less than the pass mark and 2 are marked as "incomplete", which I assume means they didn't submit all the course work.

Tacky AF to post results - do these people not know anyone who has a child who might be struggling at school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

optogirl wrote: »
    Tacky AF to post results - do these people not know anyone who has a child who might be struggling at school?
    I think those results would probably reassure struggling children...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

optogirl wrote: »

Did the parent who posted their child's results not notice the "FAIL" beside the final results part?

Plenty of people, myself included, have kids who struggle in school. Hopefully what they DO NOT do is post up their kids results, tell the world they passed, yet those results clearly showed their child failed.
    Yes, there could be any number of reasons why they did poorly; illness, bereavement, mental health worries, idiot parents. But none of that excuses the parent's stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Owryan wrote:
    Plenty of people, myself included, have kids who struggle in school. Hopefully what they DO NOT do is post up their kids results, tell the world they passed, yet those results clearly showed their child failed. Yes, there could be any number of reasons why they did poorly; illness, bereavement, mental health worries, idiot parents. But none of that excuses the parent's stupidity.

"any1 no any good kidney gardens in *place* "

Kindergarten?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

rawn wrote: »
    "any1 no any good kidney gardens in *place* "

Kindergarten?

I hope so. Otherwise it sounds like someone has found a new way of organ harvesting.

Auto correct from "kindy gardn" perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

June is gay pride month 🌈 Please put this as your status if you know or love someone who is gay. A wish that people learn to understand and accept that being gay is not a disease or mental disorder and is not a misconceived choice! People who are gay are not looking for special rights, but acceptance and equal rights. If you find the courage to stand up for what's right then please help promote love and acceptance & stop the hate!!!! ❤️🌈💛🌈💙🌈💖🌈💚🌈💜

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

kitten_k wrote: »
    June is gay pride month 🌈 Please put this as your status if you know or love someone who is gay. A wish that people learn to understand and accept that being gay is not a disease or mental disorder and is not a misconceived choice! People who are gay are not looking for special rights, but acceptance and equal rights. If you find the courage to stand up for what's right then please help promote love and acceptance & stop the hate!!!! ❤️🌈💛🌈💙🌈💖🌈💚🌈💜
    The only weird thing about that is that the words are all spelt correctly.
    Other than that, it all seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

kitten_k wrote: »

Jesus christ, does this cretin realise that this statement in itself is so homophobic and patronizing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Gay pride month is being promoted where I work. Large MNC.

"Inspiring Quotes" plastered everywhere. Nothing against promoting minorities rights etc.

Similar to above post, it is defeating the purpose.

One of them in particular is worthy of here.

"Being gay is like Glitter, its everywhere"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    "Being gay is like Glitter, its everywhere"

Thank God it wasn't 'Being gay is like Glitter, he's everywhere!!!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Thank God it wasn't 'Being gay is like Glitter, he's everywhere!!!'

It's the capital letter that makes it even less beneficial to its cause.

Jesus christ, does this cretin realise that this statement in itself is so homophobic and patronizing ?

Patronizing? Yeah. Homophobic? Nah… can't see where the homophobia is there unless they came up with a new definition of it without telling me.

Patronizing? Yeah. Homophobic? Nah… can't see where the homophobia is there unless they came up with a new definition of it without telling me.

OK Homophobic is a little strong here. Maybe I shouldn't have said it.

True equality will happen when ones sexuality is not an issue at all - like with Leo Varadkar, why do the media even have to mention it ??

Did they mention that Enda Kenny was straight ?
    OK I get that it's to show progress as a nation, but we voted the marriage referendum in - we have proven ourselves as progressive.

OK Homophobic is a little strong here. Maybe I shouldn't have said it.

True equality will happen when ones sexuality is not an issue at all - like with Leo Varadkar, why do the media even have to mention it ??

Did they mention that Enda Kenny was straight ?
    OK I get that it's to show progress as a nation, but we voted the marriage referendum in.

Tbf, it would be a significant event in that he's first gay leader of a once homogeneous and repressive Catholic country. I hadn't thought that the coverage was over-egged in terms of his sexuality but then I wasn't following it all that closely.

Tbf, it would be a significant event in that he's first gay leader of a once homogeneous and repressive Catholic country. I hadn't thought that the coverage was over-egged in terms of his sexuality but then I wasn't following it all that closely.

Sure, so we still have some way to go untill these things aren't even said anymore.

Imagine if someone you know said "A black guy started working with us!"

wouldn't that be odd ?

edit - odd as in the surprise is in that he's black - not just describing him :)

Sure, so we still have some way to go untill these things aren't even said anymore.

wouldn't that be odd ?

edit - odd as in the surprise is in that he's black - not just describing him :)

Sure, when things are happening for the first time, there's always going to commentary about it - first gay leader is going to be one of those things. Could you have seen a possibility of something like this happening 20 years ago? I think things will move on pretty quickly though as he'll be judged on his performance not his sexuality.

As an aside, I wouldn't have voted for him because I think Coveney has performed stronger in his cabinet posts but he wouldn't have the ease with the media that Varadkar has. Sexuality wouldn't have had any bearing on it.

Sure, when things are happening for the first time, there's always going to commentary about it - first gay leader is going to be one of those things. Could you have seen a possibility of something like this happening 20 years ago? I think things will move on pretty quickly though as he'll be judged on his performance not his sexuality.

As an aside, I wouldn't have voted for him because I think Coveney has performed stronger in his cabinet posts but he wouldn't have the ease with the media that Varadkar has. Sexuality wouldn't have had any bearing on it.

Sure, I hear a lot of people saying they would have preferred Coveney, anyway back to facebook - u ok hun ?

Sure, I hear a lot of people saying they would have preferred Coveney, anyway back to facebook - u ok hun ?

Can't talk here. I'll PM you…

Can't talk here. I'll PM you…

aw rite petal , tk care of ur litel angles :p:p:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

wouldn't that be odd ?

When i was in secondary school (im 27 now) a coloured chap (first one of the school) joined when we were in 3rd class and " A black guy started in St Marys Dundalk was regularly said around town"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I agree, there's a way to go before being gay is treated as normally as being straight and people don't presume a person's heterosexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

When i was in secondary school (im 27 now) a coloured chap (first one of the school) joined when we were in 3rd class and " A black guy started in St Marys Dundalk was regularly said around town"

Coloured chap? Calling a black guy a black guy is fine because that's what he is. Better than coloured anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Coloured chap? Calling a black guy a black guy is fine because that's what he is. Better than coloured anyway.

I know somebody who tries to be overly PC by calling every black person somebody "of none Irish origin".
    However anybody with an Eastern European accent is described as "Polish", anyone Oriental is "Chinese", Romanys are "Romanian" etc.
    I've given up arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I remember (about 1970) after we had just got our first television. My father came running into the kitchen, shouting "Come in quick. There's a n*gger on the telly.". It wasn't out of badness. He didn't know any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Well it looks like 2017 is gonna be an exciting year! 🎉🎉🎉
    I certainly wasn't expecting this and I wanted
    to tell everyone personally. These two are due in November 👶ðŸ½ðŸ‘¶ðŸ½
    Can't wait to see the happiness they bring. It's a shame I don't know who the parents are but copy and paste to freak everyone out too
    🀣🀣🀣

Shows a picture of a scan from a pregnancy check.. posted by someone I had alot of respect for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Well it looks like 2017 is gonna be an exciting year! 🎉🎉🎉
    I certainly wasn't expecting this and I wanted
    to tell everyone personally. These two are due in November 👶ðŸ½ðŸ‘¶ðŸ½
    Can't wait to see the happiness they bring. It's a shame I don't know who the parents are but copy and paste to freak everyone out too
    🀣🀣🀣

Shows a picture of a scan from a pregnancy check.. posted by someone I had alot of respect for

Yeah, it's a wind up and I guarantee that you fell for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

mackeire wrote:
    Yeah, it's a wind up and I guarantee that you fell for it

Saw the writing and started reading that and had it nearly all read before I saw the picture.. I was like wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

sligojoek wrote: »
    I remember (about 1970) after we had just got our first television. My father came running into the kitchen, shouting "Come in quick. There's a n*gger on the telly.". It wasn't out of badness. He didn't know any different.

Sure Lyons tea had the minstrels in their adverts all through the 80's we only did it because we didn't think there were any black people here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

"Want to wish this man ah happi Father's day .
    . We have our ups and downs but we still manage to get true it .... And we know u haven't really being here for the kids but u still do ur best with them ... We love yhu xxxxv"

Jaysus ... would you really be arsed putting up a fathers day status, if you're not going to just be nice! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Woman of facebook. Please refrain from hijacking Father's Day today no matter how bitter you are ☝🽠there are plenty of dads that fulfill their role like super heros, it's their day! Happy Father's Day 👨ðŸ»

Posted by a female

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement