Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names] - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Some wee girls just don't get it being a farmer doesn't make uneducated. It's not my fault your a towine haven't horses doesn't make u stuck up. So I suggest u get a job yourself and stop claiming of the government for sitting on your ass everyday

Let down the side a wee bit there love

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

fussyonion wrote: »
    Fella posts a pic of himself in front of a load of shots lined up on a bar.
    Someone comments: "how r u knot ded ya spaztick"

Fella replies; "cos i no how ta drink so i does an cu u litle goblin ye herd bout dat time u came in (insert name of pub) an start trowdin ur way arund an got sik al ova d bar ha scarlit for ye mar for havin ye haohoha ne way enough chattin ders drinkin te b dun"

Someone replies: "luv ye son b carful wont ye"

I can manage to decipher it all except this bit, anyone know what a 'haohoha' is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I can manage to decipher it all except this bit, anyone know what a 'haohoha' is?
    "Ha ha ha ha", I believe.

Fucking spa couldn't even get that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's Samoan for "hahaha" I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

fussyonion wrote: »
    Fella posts a pic of himself in front of a load of shots lined up on a bar.
    Someone comments: "how r u knot ded ya spaztick"

Fella replies; "cos i no how ta drink so i does an cu u litle goblin ye herd bout dat time u came in (insert name of pub) an start trowdin ur way arund an got sik al ova d bar ha scarlit for ye mar for havin ye haohoha ne way enough chattin ders drinkin te b dun"

Someone replies: "luv ye son b carful wont ye"
    You have to get a screenshot of that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Oh jesus....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

weather updates..jesus, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Oh jesus....

And 14 people thanked it :eek::eek: I commend them on their correct spelling of convictions though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

And people who use a capital letter at the start of every word.
    Oh my dear lord they constantly do this in work with any signs that are posted up. And this is a big company I work for too. Why, just why? I see it more often now I wonder whether it's purpose is to bring the eyes attention to certain words. It's funny I was asked to fill in a self-assessment form recently and it said "Any other Issues you would like to raise?" and I felt like writing "Yes, your misuse of capital letters"

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Clankatron

Kovu wrote: »
    And 14 people thanked it :eek::eek: I commend them on their correct spelling of convictions though!

Not that surprising when you consider how often that particular word would pop up in the retards daily life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Clankatron wrote: »
    Not that surprising when you consider how often that particular word would pop up in the retards daily life.
    El Weirdo wrote: »
    "Ha ha ha ha", I believe.

Fucking spa couldn't even get that right.

Any chance that ye might think about choose a different derogatory term next time - one that doesn't belittle people with disabilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

RainyDay wrote: »
    Any chance that ye might think about choose a different derogatory term next time - one that doesn't belittle people with disabilities?

I don't know of anyone who describes people with special needs as spas or retards. Those words have evolved to exclusively describe gobshítes. If you are trying to retain these words as descriptors of people with special needs then I think it is you who is doing the belittling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

bajer101 wrote: »
    I don't know of anyone who describes people with special needs as spas or retards. Those words have evolved to exclusively describe gobshítes. If you are trying to retain these words as descriptors of people with special needs then I think it is you who is doing the belittling.

Ricky Gervais started out in exactly that position when he was challenged by the parent of a child with intellectual disabilities about using the word 'mong'. He eventually saw the light;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2051938/Ricky-Gervais-admits-naive-offensive-remarks-Twitter.html

But maybe it must be just me so.

Me and John McGinley, father of a child with Down's Syndrome, that is.

Oh, don't forget about me and Avril Lavigne too;

Oh and don't forget about me, Jame Smith and Lauren Potter from Glee

Oh and don't forget about that bastion of political correctness Johnny Knoxville and his friend Eddie Barbaranell from the movie 'The Ringer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Oh jesus....

who steals a steamroller ?........and wrecks a church with it?
    people like this should be culled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Would you not just report the posts instead? I've lost count of the amount of times you've put those videos up at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Clankatron

I don't see people with learning disabilities as "retards".

But you clearly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Ricky Gervais started out in exactly that position when he was challenged by the parent of a child with intellectual disabilities about using the word 'mong'. He eventually saw the light;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2051938/Ricky-Gervais-admits-naive-offensive-remarks-Twitter.html

Oh and don't forget about that bastion of political correctness Johnny Knoxville and his friend Eddie Barbaranell from the movie 'The Ringer'.

I think at this stage it is just you. I understand where you are coming from, but you cannot try to own a word and accuse someone of using it derogatorily. It really is PC gone mad. It is the equivalent of me calling you a judgmental bastard and someone jumping up and saying that is insulting to people born outside of wedlock. Those words have moved on and so should you. We need to look at the intent of the people who are using the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not someone I'm friends with but clicked the comments of a page someone liked about people vandalising water meters to see if they came up to the usual standard of such pages and wasn't disappointed.

The first was the story itself, with thinly veiled digs at Denis O'Brien and hw they were striking out against him by doing this while missing the obvious irony that because of the fact that he isnt involved with Irish water ,but only with one of the companies contracted to install the meters, he'll most likely make more money by having to replace any damaged meters . I'd say he's delighted its happening,

The 2nd was the below comment.

Ron Victor Good work, oh fairies, and let the gardai try and catch the fairies.....no chance!!!! What would be the charge anyhow???? Being a fairy??? They better arrest Rentboy Varadkar then!!!

Posted by someone who wants to let everyone know how much of a supporter they are of the gay community by having a rainbow flag profile pic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Advertisement

I'm taking a break from facebook myself, but my brother just sent me this ridiculous update from a female acquaintance of ours whom we knew from when she was studying agriculture in the UK. Total rich redneck, real hilbilly girl btw.

This status is about minimum wage in the US. Links to an article where Wendy's (the fast food chain) preaches about "what Really Happens With A Minimum Wage Rise: Job Losses"
    It's refreshing to read an article about LOGISTICS; a crucial factor that continues to be increasingly disregarded. Money don't grow on trees, y'all! Whether it be a mighty fine increase in minimum wage (which I admit, would've been handy at my $6.25/hr job in high school) or Hillary's promise to give everybody a free college education (does she think she's Oprah?); listen to what life experience has always proven: if it seems too good to be true, it usually is -- My advice is simply: before hopping on a bandwagon, do a little homework into the repercussions of what the "solution to all your problems" may be. There is always a bigger picture at hand. Otherwise, we're just breeding ignorance, and that's not doing anyone any favors in the long run. Have a great day!

*cue all the backslapping*

ugh. she is informing her opinion on minimum wage on the profit concerns of Wendy's fast food chain. She is so frustrating.

Kovu wrote: »

69 people "liked" a FB status where a 14-year-old bragged about stabbing his teacher. :(

"The motherfukka getin funny so I stick the blade straight in his tummy"

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/boy-14-gets-11-years-detention-for-racially-motivated-stabbing-of-teacher-690374.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

69 people "liked" a FB status where a 14-year-old bragged about stabbing his teacher. :(

"The motherfukka getin funny so I stick the blade straight in his tummy"

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/boy-14-gets-11-years-detention-for-racially-motivated-stabbing-of-teacher-690374.html

https://g33kp0rn.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Jesus...
    For all a you's who gave me **** for being a simple **** over the years ye can go and smoke your nannys ashes cause don't think I didn't come out of it with 355 points all honours bitchessss **** you's all someone give me a poxy drink!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

So I think this needs to go in the rare category of the Great Facebook Status.

http://lovindublin.com/feature/irish-girl-in-video-ripping-the-piss-out-of-fashion-blogger-is-superb

I like to think she is a member here.

Would you not just report the posts instead? I've lost count of the amount of times you've put those videos up at this stage.
    Been there, done that. It's a fairly pointless exercise.

The overall mod view the last time the issue was seriously discussed can be found here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056956849

It's a cop-out, given that derogatory terms based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and religion are routinely banned on the site. But it's OK to have a go at people with disabilities, apparently? Why? Probably because as John McGinley explains in the video, there is no 'tax'.

Clankatron wrote: »
    I don't see people with learning disabilities as "retards".

But you clearly do.

But you are aware that the origination of the term relates to a technical description of people with intellectual disabilities, right?

And now you're aware, after seeing the videos, that many people with intellectual disabilities and their families are hugely offended by casual, derogatory use of the term. Here's a good explanation from an Irish dad of a young man with Down's Syndrome on the impact of the term on the young man on their family.

And you've clearly seen from the existence of the US-based 'Stop the R-word' campaign that I am far from alone in my views.

I'd imagine that you don't casually use N-I-G-G-E-R or F-A-G-G-O-T or YID or RAGHEAD as derogatory terms.

So tell me again why it is important to you to use a term that you know causes offence to a particular group of people?
    I think at this stage it is just you.
    Nope, it's not. Here's someone else;
    https://downsdad.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/on-the-use-and-power-of-the-word-retard/
    Have a look at the earlier boards thread on the issue, and you'll see that it is far from 'just me'.
    I understand where you are coming from, but you cannot try to own a word and accuse someone of using it derogatorily. It really is PC gone mad. It is the equivalent of me calling you a judgmental bastard and someone jumping up and saying that is insulting to people born outside of wedlock. Those words have moved on and so should you. We need to look at the intent of the people who are using the words.

So can you explain the double-standard where by N-I-G-G-E-R and P-A-K-I and F-A-G-G-O-T are banned, but retard is not. Should we be 'looking at the intent of people using N-I-G-G-E-R now too?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Mod

This is not the place to discuss what words are banned and what arent and why some are and some aren't.

Appropriate forum is feedback.

If you've an issue with any post report it - we aren't rules lawyers here, just cos a certain word isn't banned doesn't mean that it's not actionable in the certain context - if you fee there's an issue, report it and tell us why and we will review.

No more discussion on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

valoren wrote: »
    "As a mum that has two beautiful angels in heaven on birthdays and angelversaries I try to keep myself going....."

Angelversary??

I'd be willing to give a mother who has lost two children a free pass on this one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I'd be willing to give a mother who has lost two children a free pass on this one myself.

You would think so and maybe whoever posted it deserves a free pass, but from what I've seen on my own feed, even from my own family members tbh, some people just want to milk every last drop out of it, it's bizarre behaviour and there's no other reason for doing it than looking for attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement