Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names] - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Soom loon on my feed saying we should pray for Isis to seek the lord.

But aren't they already praying to their own Lord? Doe He not listen? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

coolhull wrote: »
    But aren't they already praying to their own Lord? Doe He not listen? :confused:

More gods will fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

I personally am getting sick of all the right-on people pretending that they care about Lebanon or whatever. Just because I post a status about the awful attacks in Paris doesn't mean I don't care about people dying unnecessarily in other countries. The attack in Paris was the worst since WW2. I KNOW people in Paris, I have family there and I live in France. We're not all attention seeking bandwagoners.
    It wasnt the worst since WW2. Parisian police massacred 200 algerians in 1961 during algerias war of independence.

(sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Full Marx wrote: »
    It wasnt the worst since WW2. Parisian police massacred 200 algerians in 1961 during algerias war of independence.

(sorry!)
    Meta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Full Marx wrote: »

(sorry!)

Tragedies closest to home are always felt the most, it's just human nature. Like, people die in car crashes every day all over the world but people will always feel sadder about their neighbour dying in a crash rather than someone in America dying in a crash.

Now, can we get back to the funny?

Telpis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

rawn wrote: »
    Tragedies closest to home are always felt the most, it's just human nature. Like, people die in car crashes every day all over the world but people will always feel sadder about their neighbour dying in a crash rather than someone in America dying in a crash.

Telpis.

Sur t dsnt mater hu t hapns ta, da angles wil be lukin dwn anal of dem xx

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

rawn wrote: »

Telpis.

hope your ok hunzo xoxo angles anal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    But the point is many people, me included, aren't experts on the Middle East or other areas of the world where there is conflict... but we aren't the ones putting up French flags and we at least acknowledge that the unrest that is happening elsewhere is no less important, even if we don't know the ins and outs. It's because we realise that we don't know enough about the situation to jump that ol' bandwagon.

A lot of people putting up those stupid flag profile pictures are as uneducated but likely also have a clue that innocent civilians die in horrible ways all around the world every few days.

And if someone is highly educated on world politics and puts up a French flag profile pic, WTF is that about?

I wasn't attacking you about it, just pointing out what some people are prone to doing. This article illustrates it perfectly:

https://medium.com/@martinbelam/you-won-t-read-about-this-in-the-media-but-b275d46fd51f

I was one of those people that put up a stupid flag profile picture, hands up. I debated about doing it for a couple of hours but said feck it in the end. I got engaged to my wife in Paris and it holds a special place in our hearts and the slaughter of young people at the concert I found very shocking.

Is it worse than what happens in the Middle East? Definitely not. Is putting up a French flag profile some how saying that white European lives more important than brown Middle Eastern lives? I don't think so. Sure some people will hold that viewpoint but I think an attack on a city like Paris, that many of us have visited, and that was basically an attack on western ideals is going to resonate more with many of us on this side of the world. There's always going to be a certain amount of parochialism that means things that are closer to us are going to have more impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Today FM posted on FB that they'll no observing a minutes silence at 11 and the only 3 comments on the post are 'what about the thing that happened in that other country' type of replies. Fcuk off, it's a nice gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Today FM posted on FB that they'll no observing a minutes silence at 11 and the only 3 comments on the post are 'what about the thing that happened in that other country' type of replies. Fcuk off, it's a nice gesture.
    And last week I bet they didn't even know that other country existed.

• Advertisement

And last week I bet they didn't even know that other country existed.

Yep, it's exactly the same kind of bandwagon jumping as every other 'popular' thing on FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,627 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think it makes the people feel good who make the "gesture" I doubt if it does anything else. I am not sure about the level of French listener-ship on today fm....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

This popped up on my news feed today!

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2ai54lf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

glued wrote: »

2ai54lf.png

Dat C+ tho

2ai54lf.png

Ah, that's just genius. I'd love to read that project.

2ai54lf.png

I love that he/she reckons there are way too many amateur historians on FB but doesn't class him/herself as one because of a C+ in the Leaving Cert. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

2ai54lf.png

For some reason the photo doesn't show up when I click the link... Any chance of a summary? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

gutenberg wrote: »
    For some reason the photo doesn't show up when I click the link... Any chance of a summary? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Thanks. It's even better than I thought it was going to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How's that?

Damn, beaten to it by Michael D Not Higgins.

• Advertisement

"When or if these 'refugees' come to Ireland they all should be shot as they walk off the boat men, women, and children wipe the whole breed off the earth!!! ‪#‎prayforparis‬ "

Apparently doesn't go against Facebook's community standards.

"When or if these 'refugees' come to Ireland they all should be shot as they walk off the boat men, women, and children wipe the whole breed off the earth!!! ‪#‎prayforparis‬ "

Yes, I too feel that the best way to honour the dead in Paris is to use them as an excuse for mass genocide! #slayforparis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

This is a thing that's annoying me. I've reported a few things on Facebook that were legitimately going against their community standards and nothing was done. I'm convinced it's a robot in charge or someone that doesn't care for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

KKkitty wrote: »
    This is a thing that's annoying me. I've reported a few things on Facebook that were legitimately going against their community standards and nothing was done. I'm convinced it's a robot in charge or someone that doesn't care for the job.

Exactly, if Britain First is allowed to stay up then there's something not right with the process

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Exactly, if Britain First is allowed to stay up then there's something not right with the process

One video I reported was of a couple having sex and it wasn't taken down or the user wasn't removed. Do they forget that young children have access to Facebook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Is it worse than what happens in the Middle East? Definitely not. Is putting up a French flag profile some how saying that white European lives more important than brown Middle Eastern lives? I don't think so. Sure some people will hold that viewpoint but I think an attack on a city like Paris, that many of us have visited, and that was basically an attack on western ideals is going to resonate more with many of us on this side of the world. There's always going to be a certain amount of parochialism that means things that are closer to us are going to have more impact.

The bolded bit is where it should start and finish, IMO. It's fine to acknowledge that you might feel more of a tie to France as an immediate response. To think about it more for than a second though should highlight that is ultimately meaningless and that displaying that flag is putting more value on one life than another.

Nobody has given one good justification, IMO. "We have a greater history with France", "France is beautiful", "I KNOW people there", "I went there once". Yep, none of this means the innocent civilian who dies in an familiar land deserve less recognition. And you don't need to know the ins and outs of a country's political situation to feel sadness.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Yeah, #prayforparis, so pray for Paris but first shoot men, women and children climbing off a boat to make sure you're wiping the whole 'breed' off the face of the earth
    Whichever God s/he's praying to will be really impressed by that plea

The bolded bit is where it should start and finish, IMO. It's fine to acknowledge that you might feel more of a tie to France as an immediate response. To think about it more for than a second though should highlight that is ultimately meaningless and that displaying that flag is putting more value on one life than another.

Nobody has given one good justification, IMO. "We have a greater history with France", "France is beautiful", "I KNOW people there", "I went there once". Yep, none of this means the innocent civilian who dies in an familiar land deserve less recognition. And you don't need to know the ins and outs of a country's political situation to feel sadness.

So, in essence, you're saying we shouldn't show affinity for the victims of an tragedy because when we are doing that we are placing more value on their lives than the other victims of tragedies? Am I then not then allowed to express sympathy for my neighbour if they die in a car crash because that's placing more value on their life than other car crash victims? Maybe we should stop going to funerals because we're then placing more worth on those lives then the funerals we don't attend? Frankly, it starts to have a bang of white guilt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is that a dumb facebook quote or your opinion?

• Advertisement

The whole thing is bullsh1t anyway. Many people have died. Many others have been injured. Families have to bury their loved ones. We're arguing over whether or not people should do something on Facebook. None of that matters really, does it?

I'd rather laugh at someone who uses the word 'anal' incorrectly.

Telpis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement