Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names] - Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Oh no... A family member reposted the Zuckerberg thing...

If only you could unrelate them as well as unfriend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

There's a picture of the Beckhams going around saying " oh my god the Beckhams won Christmas' I mean wtf does that even mean. I didn't know we were all competing to win Christmas! ! Do they get to keep it for the year, bring the trophy around the schools and engrave their names on the Christmas trophy!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Neil Issagum

Whosthis wrote: »
    Well it's obviously gone over my head! What do you mean?

A lot of the themes used in the movie Idiocracy are lifted straight from the pages of Orwell's classic novel 1984, including the concept of simplified speech. Orwell calls it "Newspeak". I found it ironic that in a post referring to the dumbing of the population you would refer to a comedic movie rather than a piece of classic literature.
    That's interesting I never knew that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

OP - "Is ur man dats playin Barny in de darts steevin bunton or , "peeter griffin" (family goy) luk at his fayse wen hees trowin de dart fukin gas"

Reply 1 - "Your a bit late there pal, ya only copping that now?"

Reply 2 - "He's trying to read this status update"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

A lot of the themes used in the movie Idiocracy are lifted straight from the pages of Orwell's classic novel 1984, including the concept of simplified speech. Orwell calls it "Newspeak". I found it ironic that in a post referring to the dumbing of the population you would refer to a comedic movie rather than a piece of classic literature.

I think there's a huge difference between the dumbing of the population in 1984 and idiocracy and you're being unnecessarily hostile here to show how clever you are.

1984 is a dystopian drama. The typical theme of this thread is comedic so imo idiocracy is a more apt comparison in here. Lighten up ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Friend 1: ney 1 out latr
    Friend 2: Ya luv I be in *local* aftr da diner johnny gon getin a chinse now
    Friend 1: ah dats gret hun wil see ya den so havta get out da house have cabin fevr al week
    Friend 1: serious? dint no ya were sick luv did ya go to the docter at al don't be comin out now wen your sick

I say 'friend', but it's my friend's sister in law and a friend of hers who I (thankfully!) don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I'd say you've been waiting ages to whop somebody with that one.
    Newspeak is intentionally pushed by the totalitarian state in order to subjugate the people. In idiocracy and indeed here in this example,the dumbing down is willingly engaged in by the people to their own slow detriment and for the benefit of nobody. So I think you're a bit off base here.
    Oh,plus, in my opinion, true irony is always unintended (even though that definition has begun to change recently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I think there's a huge difference between the dumbing of the population in 1984 and idiocracy and you're being unnecessarily hostile here to show how clever you are.

1984 is a dystopian drama. The typical theme of this thread is comedic so imo idiocracy is a more apt comparison in here. Lighten up ffs.
    Lighten up says he, I didn't mean it to be hostile, I just found it amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

dub_skav wrote: »
    Newspeak is intentionally pushed by the totalitarian state in order to subjugate the people. In idiocracy and indeed here in this example,the dumbing down is willingly engaged in by the people to their own slow detriment and for the benefit of nobody. So I think you're a bit off base here.
    Oh,plus, in my opinion, true irony is always unintended (even though that definition has begun to change recently)
    They're all out this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Kovu wrote: »
    Lol, what was she trying to say?? Unreal?

Yeah I'd say so. I had a look at some of their friends pages and 'unhuman' seems to be the new 'unreal'. In fairness some of the selfies of the orange faced, big eyebrowed and pouty lipped girls did seem a bit unhuman alright.
    I felt a bit bad looking at the pages of people I don't know but if you don't set your privacy settings and have Barbie or princess as your first name...I'm going to look.☺

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

siblers wrote: »
    This might come across a bit harsh, there is a concert on tonight in the 3 arena that's for charity, girl I know checked into it on Facebook with the following "doing our bit for charity". Considering people stand out in the pissing rain or run marathons or in my case go on 200km cycles for charity it just kinda pissed me off.

To be fair I am pretty sure you do 200Km cycles because you like cycling , Your friend likes concerts , if you can both do what you like and some money goes to charity then what is the difference.

And also many people who stand out in the rain are doing it becasue it is their job ,what they are paid to do.

I've seen this a few times on Facebook, usually from the masso hunzo social welfare lifer types

"Just checked in to 'My Lovely Cosy Bed' "

Accompanied by a google maps image with one of those location pins, with the 'lovely cosy bed' in question tagged as a 'Local Business' lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Why are ye friends with such chavs???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I've seen this a few times on Facebook, usually from the masso hunzo social welfare lifer types

Accompanied by a google maps image with one of those location pins, with the 'lovely cosy bed' in question tagged as a 'Local Business' lol

Should knock in next time and see if they're open for business

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

The best part about these check ins is that 864 people have checked in to her "lovely cost bed" previously.

Duuurty.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Ha ha Nicky Minge perfume

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Charming isn't it?
    Love your name, by the way Neil.

Charming isn't it?
    Love your name, by the way Neil.
    Gurrah moh a gut!. Your friend it seems also doesn't mind announcing on Facebook that she's keen to sell or swap all the Christmas gifts she just got......most likely from people on her friends list that will see her post!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

"I loves me County <3"...

I nearly removed this person as a friend on multiple occasions, as their grammar makes me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Someone shared a FB competition, everything was fine in the competition details except they kept using the word "filt". As in, "win a box filt with products".

This is actually a good one for once, I hope all the gullible eejits that shared the original see this

"Mark Zuckerberg is giving away free handjobs in the alley behind the jobstown garage to the first 1000 people who share this! It was on Good Morning America!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Just seen someone type "ju" in place of "did you" ...

People living in glass houses and all that.

On a unrelated note - acquaintance of mine has taken a break from his usual republican diatribes and Bob Marley quotes and gone for the faux-profound instead.

'im changin my profile pic to the syrian flag 2 support all the dead syrian kids this year'

I've decided not to let him know that he's actually managed to post a Palestinian flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

On a unrelated note - acquaintance of mine has taken a break from his usual republican diatribes and Bob Marley quotes and gone for the faux-profound instead.

'im changin my profile pic to the syrian flag 2 support all the dead syrian kids this year'

I've decided not to let him know that he's actually managed to post a Palestinian flag.

Please call him out on this. The fcuking tripe that people post on social media is increasing constantly. It's about time stupidity is shown for what it is and the dopes are shown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

This drivel has started to appear all over my feed this morning.... Delete me then, you narcissistic twat!
    "Over the years many friendships have simply evolved into acquaintances. I don't like having a large number of friends like I used to for the mere fact life is just much different than it was 12+ years ago. Some "friends" have been deleted over time, due various reasons and some I keep because it doesn't matter how much time goes by we connect like we didn't miss a beat. Now, I have chosen the best solution before I do the 2015 clear out. I am happy to have you because you are among my best of the best. Now I am going to see who will take the time to read this post until the end. I'm curious to see who takes care of the BOND that I'm trying to create. Thank you for being a part of my life. Copy and paste this onto your page, PLEASE DO NOT 'share'. This is a little test, just to see who reads and those who share only without reading! If you have read everything, select 'like' and then copy and paste into your profile, so I can put a comment 'smile.' To copy just touch the post and when the word copy pops up, touch it and go to your status and tap till it says paste then touch paste....."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

nikpmup wrote: »
    This drivel has started to appear all over my feed this morning.... Delete me then, you narcissistic twat!
    "Over the years many friendships have simply evolved into acquaintances. I don't like having a large number of friends like I used to for the mere fact life is just much different than it was 12+ years ago. Some "friends" have been deleted over time, due various reasons and some I keep because it doesn't matter how much time goes by we connect like we didn't miss a beat. Now, I have chosen the best solution before I do the 2015 clear out. I am happy to have you because you are among my best of the best. Now I am going to see who will take the time to read this post until the end. I'm curious to see who takes care of the BOND that I'm trying to create. Thank you for being a part of my life. Copy and paste this onto your page, PLEASE DO NOT 'share'. This is a little test, just to see who reads and those who share only without reading! If you have read everything, select 'like' and then copy and paste into your profile, so I can put a comment 'smile.' To copy just touch the post and when the word copy pops up, touch it and go to your status and tap till it says paste then touch paste....."

One of these days I will build up enough rage to tell someone to fck off when they post this kind of drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Shiiiiiiite :o thanks I hate myself now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

dub_skav wrote: »

Anyone else picture Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting posting this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Shiiiiiiite thanks I hate myself now

U ok hun xoxo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement