Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus strike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Those who use Dublin Bus every day and year on year have had to put up with price increases are bascially subsidising loss making routes, why should we? They shouldn't even be up for tender, they should of been abolished ages ago.

I'm hazarding a wild guess because it's, you know, a public transport service for all citizens of the country, not just the ones that generate the most loot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, **** the old and weak in society. Who cares if they need transport? It's not profitable so we'll abolish their buses. :rolleyes:

It's remarkable how some people still don't get the basic concept of public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

I get to work from home today thank to them so they're alright with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Bring on privatisation, an end to unions being able to bring the country to a standstill and introducing a bus service that is efficient and works instead of the bureaucratic, union interests first mess we currently have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

If DB's service was anyway decent I'd be inclined to support staff striking re the privatisation. But its woeful, and has been for the past 2 decades that I've been commuting via bus. Time to break up their monopoly in this city and try and implement a decent service.

Love the argument someone (probably a DB employee) made a few posts back that was basically "Sure the other company might be just as bad as Dublin Bus, so no point changing things"

Its that attitude that typifies why DB's stranglehold must be broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Actually DB's service is far from woeful and has been steadily getting better every year of the past 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Actually DB's service is far from woeful and has been steadily getting better every year of the past 15.

Not really, I still end up waiting 75mins+ for a service that is timetabled to operate every 20mins off peak and is timetabled at 75mins for the full run start to finish. So in theory on those days that happens to me there is around 2 buses on that whole route on a Friday afternoon. Yeah, getting better alright.

That's the 17A route btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

can you advise why you support them?

Because I believe that the Bus Drivers Unions have a legitimate fear that the proposals for routes going to tender is the beginning of privatisation, also in 2019 when the contracts with Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann are at an end, we can expect more routes to go 'private', resulting in job losses for 'DB' and 'BE' drivers.
    ''Won't they get jobs with the private companies?'' you might ask.
    Well perhaps some will, but you can rest assured that their pension entitlements and terms and conditions of employment with their new employers will fall far short of the ones they currently 'enjoy'.
    So in my opinion they're right to withhold their labour, it's a legal form of protest/negotiation in most democracies you know, and one which was hard fought for by former generations of workers and their families.
    More power to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^^^the 17 and 17a have always been completely unreliable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

This strike affects all bus journeys in Ireland yeah? Need to get to Shannon tomorrow evening...
    JJ Kavanagh's Dublin-Shannon route is running.

Zxclnic wrote: »
    Because I believe that the Bus Drivers Unions have a legitimate fear that the proposals for routes going to tender is the beginning of privatisation, also in 2019 when the contracts with Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann are at an end, we can expect more routes to go 'private', resulting in job losses for 'DB' and 'BE' drivers.
    Well perhaps some will, but you can rest assured that their pension entitlements and terms and conditions of employment with their new employers will fall far short of the ones they currently 'enjoy'.
    So in my opinion they're right to withhold their labour, it's a legal form of protest/negotiation in most democracies you know, and one which was hard fought for by former generations of workers and their families.
    More power to them!

So you support keeping the horrifically inefficient and unreliable services of DB the way they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

past 15 years my arse, the NTA was formed to drag the state companies kicking and screaming out of the 1980s and that's whats driven the improvements

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

the scumbag, over self inflated bstard unions holding hundreds of thousands of hard working people to ransom.

filthy swines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

Actually I've been using it to commute to various areas around the city daily over the past 18 years and in my opinion it has. Network Direct ruined previously efficient-ish routes (51B/C, 78A,77 etc), fares have risen hugely for worse of a service, brought in the likes of (pointless cos not actually real time) RTPI and free wifi when there still isn't a bus that leaves the city centre past 11: 30pm on a week night. Shambles of a service for a city like Dublin in the 21st century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yeah, **** the old and weak in society. Who cares if they need transport? It's not profitable so we'll abolish their buses. :rolleyes:

Jesus Christ, did I say that... what I was proposing was a way to tackle unneccesary waste and empty buses... and if you had bothered to read my follow up post I acknowledge the need to cater for old people and those who are dependent on transport in a more savy manner i.e on demand booking systems and ride shares.

A lot of the time the likes of a 59 will go from stop to stop and there's **** all
    people to get on it, a better option would be to have a service that asssesed demand and catered to people's needs accordingly.
    In fact the same goes for all routes.

And when I said etc. I was refering to those who shouldn't have disability passes.. people who are abusing the system.

anncoates wrote: »
    I'm hazarding a wild guess because it's, you know, a public transport service for all citizens of the country, not just the ones that generate the most loot.

We can do that while being more cost effective though no?

• Advertisement

Dunford wrote: »
    the scumbag, over self inflated bstard unions holding hundreds of thousands of hard working people to ransom.

filthy swines.

Get off the fence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

iDave wrote: »
    Anyone know how many strikes theres been by employees of the CIE group of companies since 05. Must be close to double figures

I remember this crowd of wasters causing trouble all the way back to 1979. They are never satisfied. They want a guaranteed job for life with all the perks and compensation whenever anything changes. As if time can stand still to accommodate them. They do not give a damn about their customers.
    The Government should pull the plug on them. Open the whole market - no subsidy.
    Let them survive on what they can earn like the rest of us. This kind of nonsense will continue to strangle this economy. Lads, it 2015 not 1972 - get working or **** off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not really, I still end up waiting 75mins+ for a service that is timetabled to operate every 20mins off peak and is timetabled at 75mins for the full run start to finish. So in theory on those days that happens to me there is around 2 buses on that whole route on a Friday afternoon. Yeah, getting better alright.

That's the 17A route btw.

The current 17A is enormously improved where 75 minutes was an underestimate until it moved from Summerhill to Harristown in 2004.

The problem with DB routes are the ones the NTA favour and Network Direct implemented core routes like the 13, 16, 15, 27, 40, 39A and 66.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Can't have any complaints about the 17A.....when I am at the top of the road waiting for a 27B all that go by are 17 f*cking A's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

LorMal wrote: »
    I remember this crowd of wasters causing trouble all the way back to 1979. They are never satisfied. They want a guaranteed job for life with all the perks and compensation whenever anything changes. As if time can stand still to accommodate them. They do not give a damn about their customers.
    The Government should pull the plug on them. Open the whole market - no subsidy.
    Let them survive on what they can earn like the rest of us. This kind of nonsense will continue to strangle this economy. Lads, it 2015 not 1972 - get working or **** off.

No way should the whole public transpoirt system be privatised without subsidies.It would result in the closure of a lot of routes that people depend on and would cause a lot of disruption to numerous individual lives.It would be a massive loss to people living in rural areas.

Frankly there should be a massive increase in the amount of public transport available in this country as the amount pof people driving to work one person in a car is a disgrace in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can't have any complaints about the 17A.....when I am at the top of the road waiting for a 27B all that go by are 17 f*cking A's.

They're weird, you could be waiting 20-25 minutes for one or you can have a convoy of two or three

the 4 is the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

For those who thing privatisation is a panacea, think about the following:

If a public bus service route collects 100k a year (and there's no incentive to produce a profit), that 100k is used to cover costs (including providing a very decent wage to drivers). Admittedly, there's little or no incentive to improve service or cut cost either!

If a private bus service route collects 100k a year (and there's is an incentive to produce a profit), as much of that 100k as possible will be paid to owners/shareholders. Here there *may* be an incentive to improve service or cut costs, but only if there's real competition and only after the shareholders/owners have received their dividend.

Privatisation works very well for the consumer if you've lots of competition. If you don't, it's bad for both the consumer and bad for the employees.

Anyone who thinks privatisation or nationalisation is a panacea hasn't thought about either solution in too much detail.

(I'm saying this as someone who hates the service provided by Dublin Bus!)

No way should the whole public transpoirt system be privatised without subsidies.It would result in the closure of a lot of routes that people depend on and would cause a lot of disruption to numerous individual lives.It would be a massive loss to people living in rural areas.

Frankly there should be a massive increase in the amount of public transport available in this country as the amount pof people driving to work one person in a car is a disgrace in this day and age.

The reason people do this is due to the cost of public transport vs cost of driving which keeps rising due to ironically less people using public transport. People prefer to drive if the cost is not that far off how much it would costs to use the bus or train due to something the NTA never take into consideration which is the comfort factor of doing so. This is not really a tangible metric and changes from person to person but nevertheless it exists and needs to be calculated for when adjusting public transport pricing

The notion that increasing fares will fix the problem of less people using it is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

You ain't seen nothing til you have a 33 disappear off real time and then just not show up. They're hourly anyway for the most part so it is woeful when one does a disappearing act.

For those who thing privatisation is a panacea, think about the following:

If a public bus service route collects 100k a year (and there's no incentive to produce a profit), that 100k is used to cover costs (including providing a very decent wage to drivers). Admittedly, there's little or no incentive to improve service or cut cost either!

If a private bus service route collects 100k a year (and there's is an incentive to produce a profit), as much of that 100k as possible will be paid to owners/shareholders. Here there *may* be an incentive to improve service or cut costs, but only if there's real competition and only after the shareholders/owners have received their dividend.

Privatisation works very well for the consumer if you've lots of competition. If you don't, it's bad for both the consumer and bad for the employees.

Anyone who thinks privatisation or nationalisation is a panacea hasn't thought about either solution in too much detail.

(I'm saying this as someone who hates the service provided by Dublin Bus!)

Same thing applies to the current system where DB operates virtually as a monopoly so there is zero incentive to increase efficiency or service value as there is no viable competition to take the business away from them

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

I did nothing on them. Why should I suffer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    JJ Kavanagh's Dublin-Shannon route is running.

Cheers but according to there journey planner the only bus i'd be able to get is the 9:40 which is too late:(

Thanks again tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Was in cork city there. Never seen it so nuts

17 trillion million taxi's....mistaking themselves for buses parking at the bus stops...cars everywhere..people walking across road for sh!ts and giggles..no guards to be seen...the bus drivers outside the station with their hands in their pockets fiddling with themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just because he's not a 'foaming at the mouth' union basher - like most on this thread appear to be - doesn't necessarily mean that he's an employee of either Dublin Bus or Bus Èireann. He might even be supportive of workers in general and their right to use their collective strength to negotiate with their employers, or, horror of horrors, he might even be in favour of this specific strike. Imagine that!
    More power to the bus drivers, I wish them well.

This strike has nothing to do with their employers. That's what makes it an unlawful strike, and that is how DB and BE can take the unions to court over the money they are losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

More power to them!

So if I have a 5 year contract in my job, I should go on strike in say year 3, until they extend it out for me??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I did nothing on them. Why should I suffer?

You paid your fare which in turn paid "the man"

Noticed traffic a bit heavier going to work at 630 and a lot more people to knock down/avoid**

Can't wait for 3 pm on the way home :)

** delete as appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No compromise with these communist dinosaurs sack the lot of them,how dare they use the good people of this city as human shields in their war against progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Specialun wrote: »
    Was in cork city there. Never seen it so nuts

17 trillion million taxi's....mistaking themselves for buses parking at the bus stops...cars everywhere..people walking across road for sh!ts and giggles..no guards to be seen...the bus drivers outside the station with their hands in their pockets fiddling with themselves

Now Dougal thats not true now is it

couldnt resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Well done to the workers. The good people of this island support you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

People forget that the drivers would favour a 'no fare collection' action but are legally barred from doing so.

You were elected to speak for everyone when?

This strike has nothing to do with their employers. That's what makes it an unlawful strike, and that is how DB and BE can take the unions to court over the money they are losing.

Has it (the strike) been adjudged unlawful, or is that just wishful thinking on your behalf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

No. No they dont

So if I have a 5 year contract in my job, I should go on strike in say year 3, until they extend it out for me??

Are you in a Trade Union?, if so then talk to your Union rep about it, if not then it's time to think about forming one.
    Unity is strength!

• Advertisement

Has it (the strike) been adjudged unlawful, or is that just wishful thinking on your behalf?

They are going to the high court.

No. No they dont

Yes, yes, yes they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Shame on working class people standing up to the right wing nutjobs and their privitisation agenda.

Know your places, proles. :rolleyes:

They are going to the high court.

That's my point, there has yet to be a ruling.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Shame on working class people standing up to the right wing nutjobs and their privitisation agenda.

Know your places, proles. :rolleyes:

Average dublin bus driver salary is 40k...... yeah thats working class alright........

Are you in a Trade Union?, if so then talk to your Union rep about it, if not then it's time to think about forming one.
    Unity is strength!

I've no time for unions.
    Siptu cost me and 300 of my colleagues our jobs when they wanted more and refused to believe the company's financial books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

About 200 people queing for the aircoach at Dublin Airport right now

I've no time for unions.
    Siptu cost me and 300 of my colleagues our jobs when they wanted more and refused to believe the company's financial books.

I'm genuinely sorry that you and 300 of your colleagues lost your jobs. Obviously I don't know the details so I can't really comment, other than to say that generally it's the employer(s) who 'sack', 'trim the workforce', 'downsize', and it's much easier for them to do these things when they're dealing with 'individuals' rather than groups of people with the one goal who stick together and use their collective strength in order to improve their pay and conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Yes, yes, yes they do.

Just because you support it does not mean the people of Ireland support this strike. I agree with pmasterson95. Also did a quick check in here and only 2 out of 13 supported it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

VinLieger wrote: »
    Average dublin bus driver salary is 40k...... yeah thats working class alright........

and the rest

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Jester252 wrote: »
    Just another reason why private transport is the best option for travelling around Ireland

You don't know what you're talking about.
    Take a look at Holland, Germany, Scandinavia. Travelling around those countries on public transport is a pleasure.
    Gut the sh1t out of it and you'll be left with a crappy service that chooses which routes to operate and which to just abandon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement