Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do the LGBT Community want from a "Yes" Vote?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Snegg wrote: »
    So with regards to the differences between a marriage and a civil union, all tax stuff and similar things are equal, so a "yes" vote will make no difference in that regard.

Okay, lets imagine the above was true, that the tax and other legal implications were the same, and lets imagine that you chose not to get married in a church.
    You nowhave a choice of two things, to get legaly married or to enter into a legal civil partnership, which one would you chose?
    And bearing that decision in mind are you still content to disallow homosexuals to have that choice.

Now take a few steps back and realise that they are not equal, that yes as has been mentioned there are 160 legal differences.

The first question proves that it would be worth fighting for equality even if there were no other considerations, the second question goes further than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wupucus

Two men getting married - it's ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

wupucus wrote: »

sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

ha why is that?, are you one of those feminine men who prefer to go to bed with petite sleek woman with soft skin beside you who smell good and put on makeup?

Gay marriage is for real men who are not afraid of other strong men :p

Edit: this was all very tongue in cheek, apologise if the tone/humour doesn't come across well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

Two men getting married - it's ridiculous, so it is Ted.
    fyp

I'm not a member of the LGBT community, but if I were then my one-word answer to the question posed in the thread title would be....Equality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Katie 'Jordan' Price and Proto-Musclehead No.4 getting married - it's ridiculous...

Still legal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Any more ridiculous than Britney Spears getting married for 55 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Some No voters have this idea that marriage is only ever sacred and holy and a start to a special relationship but truthfully some people get married all the time for reasons to do with immigration, drunkenness, for fun and so much more. i can understand that the no side has this ideal form of marriage but they are neglecting that a lot of people get married for those kinds of reasons, not because of love or religion or family... so i dont see why 2 people who actually do like each other a lot cant do this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

Ok, so now I am more then aware that there a plenty of differences between marriage and a civil partnership in the eyes of the state. Admittedly, I didn't no this at the start, but it is something that just isn't right.

I probably didn't make myself clear in the original post, but I was fully aware that this referendum has absolutely nothing to with a religious institution's definition on marriage, as church and state are two entirely separate entities, as they should be. Someone earlier in the thread said,"I had a registry marriage and a bloody good party". The reason I mentioned the "traditional" idea of a wedding, was that with a yes vote, a "traditional" marriage will still not be an option, because the church's definition is not changing (which I was fully aware of). But with a yes vote, won't the process of having a civil marriage, just be the exact same as the process of starting a civil partnership, just the terminology will be different? (But that was me assuming that the status of a civil partnership as the same as marriage).
    You may have seen what Roddy Doyle recently published on his facebook page about the referendum (https://www.facebook.com/roddy.doyle?fref=ts).
    One line that struck me in that is; "An’ me sister can have her big day as well."
    Won't here "big day" be the same, regardless as to whether it's a marriage or civil partnership? (Again, that's provided both the status' of marriage and civil partnership are the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ok, so now I am more then aware that there a plenty of differences between marriage and a civil partnership in the eyes of the state. Admittedly, I didn't no this at the start, but it is something that just isn't right.

I probably didn't make myself clear in the original post, but I was fully aware that this referendum has absolutely nothing to with a religious institution's definition on marriage, as church and state are two entirely separate entities, as they should be. Someone earlier in the thread said,"I had a registry marriage and a bloody good party". The reason I mentioned the "traditional" idea of a wedding, was that with a yes vote, a "traditional" marriage will still not be an option, because the church's definition is not changing (which I was fully aware of). But with a yes vote, won't the process of having a civil marriage, just be the exact same as the process of starting a civil partnership, just the terminology will be different? (But that was me assuming that the status of a civil partnership as the same as marriage).
    You may have seen what Roddy Doyle recently published on his facebook page about the referendum (https://www.facebook.com/roddy.doyle?fref=ts).
    One line that struck me in that is; "An’ me sister can have her big day as well."
    Won't here "big day" be the same, regardless as to whether it's a marriage or civil partnership? (Again, that's provided both the status' of marriage and civil partnership are the same).

but they are not so the question is moot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

But with a yes vote, won't the process of having a civil marriage, just be the exact same as the process of starting a civil partnership, just the terminology will be different?
    No for the last time. It is not possible to have the same legal definition and same statute rights for two different legal terms and institutions. That is logically impossible. You cannot give equal status on the statutes to two different institutions without making them the same. And you cannot legislate to make civil partnerships equal without a yes vote it would be conning the constitution. We are meant to vote to amend the constitution not con the way around it because a referendum makes some people uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So this is a question that has been bothering me for a bit in relation to the upcoming referendum.
    Now I'd be lying if I said I was fully informed in the differences between marriage and a civil union, but I'll give this a go anyway.

So I am really curious and unaware as to what members of the LGBT community want want if a "yes" vote were to occur.

When I think of marriage, I think of a ceremony where a bride walks down the isle of a church, the priest does is job, and then bob's your uncle.

But with a "yes" vote, this will still not be the case, due to the fact that most religious institutions are against homosexual marriage (not something I entirely agree with, but that's a sad fact).

So with regards to the differences between a marriage and a civil union, all tax stuff and similar things are equal, so a "yes" vote will make no difference in that regard.

But the biggest thing I see a difference with comes back to family. Such as a family home and a shared home, and also the legally recognised relationship between a child and there biological parent.
    My first question is, shouldn't the definition of a family be changed, as opposed to marriage?

And secondly, is it just that LGBT members want to be able to ask someone "Will you marry me?", and to tell people that "I'm married"?
    Or is there something much more that I'm missing.

Right now I'm on the fence as to which way I'd vote. Although a lot of the "No Campaign" posters seem irrelevant to marriage (focusing on surrogacy and other irrelevant topics), there is one poster that stands out to me, which reads;
    "We already have civil partnerships, why redefine marriage?"
    To be honest I think that is a fair statement, and I would like to know why marriage needs to be redefined, as opposed to either redefining civil partnerships or the family.

To summarise if you vote no and yes wins your life wont change a single ****ing bit, if you vote yes and no wins your life wont change a ****ing bit.

The same applies to the LGBT people yes and no, it wont change their lives in any ****ing way other than they get a new piece of paper or dont.

What an utter waste of time this vote is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

dreamers75 wrote: »
    To summarise if you vote no and yes wins your life wont change a single ****ing bit, if you vote yes and no wins your life wont change a ****ing bit.

The same applies to the LGBT people yes and no, it wont change their lives in any ****ing way other than they get a new piece of paper or dont.

then why not just scrap marriage entirely? make everyone who's now married into a civil partner. Get rid of the terms Husband and wife. Everyone becomes partner.

Or we could decide that straight marriages become partnerships and gay partnetships become marriages. Suddenly every straight couple becomes a partner and only gay people are allowed refer to each other as husband and wife.

Can you imagine the outrage at that?

At the moment we are discriminating against a certain section of society. This vote will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

As someone already pointed out, that "big day" is the wedding, not the marriage. I had my big day already. My marriage is something I'm experiencing every day and is so much more than a big party, dancing and cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Is this ironic or did dreamers miss the point entirely?

Dreamers, it came up on page 1 that there are 160 differences between marriage and civil ppartnerships. Heterosexuals lives won't change a single bit but LGBT lives will change in 160 ways.

So no, not a pointless vote then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

But two women getting married is grand cos sexy lezzers isnt icky and good **** material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Is this ironic or did dreamers miss the point entirely?

Dreamers, it came up on page 1 that there are 160 differences between marriage and civil ppartnerships. Heterosexuals lives won't change a single bit but LGBT lives will change in 160 ways.

So no, not a pointless vote then.
    A few people like to go on about how they don't care and it's pointless and boring and so on - wish I were as cool as them.
    Real "It doesn't affect me so therefore nobody cares" stuff. Kinda like a six-year-old's outlook on life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's impossible though.

So are you suggesting we shouldn't try shouldn't try? That thing you just said was fairly ridiculous, did you know that?

Do you object to everyone who has fought to improve your life up to this point? Should they not have bothered either?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

How do you get that ? Even after the referendum you will not be able to demand a religious institution marry you in the religious ceremony.

You might not be aware of this, but many religious institutions have been quite hostile to gays for the last thousand years or more, and hence are not high on gay people's list of folks to have at the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

The other thing that I'll personally get from a 'yes' vote is that the whole fecking thing will be over. I won't have to hear it implied on a daily basis the I'm probably a child molester.

I won't have to hear academic research dismissed or twisted to suit the needs of anyone who doesn't have the balls to come out and say that they don't like the idea of bum sex.

I will be able to go back to looking at my Facebook feed and seeing my friends who are raising happy, healthy kids and not worry that those children will be looking up at posters that imply that their families are no good.

I won't have to hear time and time again that men who've given their children nothing more than a genetic inheritance are more 'parents' than those actually raising their kids.

I won't have to listen to bigots saying bigoted things who then become outraged that I have the cheek to point out that they are being bigoted. Ditto homophobic and ditto sexist.

I won't have to listen to anyone tell me that they've nothing against me but I just shouldn't be afforded the same protection as them because I'm queer, not that they have any problems with my queerness.

I won't have to hear that I shouldn't be treated equally because single fathers/travellers/the unemployed also get a hard time.

I won't have to hear that I shouldn't be treated equally because folks don't like Enda/water charges/IMF/ECB because we all know that the gays are totally responsible for the state of the economy.

And incest, sex with animals, that a father might have to discuss periods with his daughter or that private patients might get seen before public ones. All of this loopy-ness might still be buzzing around in folks' heads but I'm really looking forward to a time when it stops falling out of their mouths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

"We already have civil partnerships, why redefine marriage?"

The church already did that, all that allowing same sex marriage would do in this sense would be to return marriage go it's original state, and to finally respect the tradition of marriage.

The first recorded marriage stretches I believe back to something like 2,400 BC, with the first recorded gay marriage only about 50 years after. It was organised religions such as Christianity who disrespected the meaning and tradition of marriage by banning forms of it, such as gay marriage in the Theodosian Code laws of 342 AD.

What we will see in a few weeks when the yes vote wins is just a long overdue return to normality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

A little piece of paper that makes over 160 differences to their lives. And reverts marriage back to what it originally and traditionally was in the first place. Yeah, completely pointless.

Advertisement