Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grooveshark is dead - what now?

Options
  • 01-05-2015 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

It finally happened. Grooveshark has died - for me, it was the best music streaming service available. It had all the right music and wasn't limited by regions.

I've just tried Spotify, Google and Deezer for the last few hours. They're OK, but lots of music missing and even some lock-outs because we're in Ireland :mad:

After loosing so many playlists on Grooveshark I'm beginning to think about just offline MP3s on my phone and PC. Maybe stream via the old Plex server at home. Might see if there's a some other private streaming options.

So, anyone have any idea on a good online streaming service that fully works here or isn't limited by regions? (I travel a lot so change regions a often too). Otherwise if anyone knows a good server and client option I can run, would love to hear ideas :)

---
    Edit:
    Found a way to extract you full song list from the Android app. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95296698&postcount=7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Xzen wrote: »
    It finally happened. Grooveshark has died - for me, it was the best music streaming service available. It had all the right music and wasn't limited by regions.

I've just tried Spotify, Google and Deezer for the last few hours. They're OK, but lots of music missing and even some lock-outs because we're in Ireland :mad:

After loosing so many playlists on Grooveshark I'm beginning to think about just offline MP3s on my phone and PC. Maybe stream via the old Plex server at home. Might see if there's a some other private streaming options.

So, anyone have any idea on a good online streaming service that fully works here or isn't limited by regions? (I travel a lot so change regions a often too). Otherwise if anyone knows a good server and client option I can run, would love to hear ideas :)

SoundCloud

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

househero wrote: »
    SoundCloud

Interesting, I heard there was a pretty poor catalogue there, but I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Interesting, I heard there was a pretty poor catalogue there, but I'll have a look.

You heard wrong. SoundCloud is absolutely humongous. You will find less music pre 2000. But SoundCloud is about new music, new talent and remixes, not the Beatles and dead rock bands.

Explore and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I`m very sad that Grooveshark is gone :(
    There certainly is nothing like it on the web without paying top dollar and even then as OP says you have to contend with crap like region locking and missing catalogues.
    I`m in my mid twenties but I love old rock, Led Zeppelin, The Who, AC/DC and also Johnny Cash. The problem is a lot of that music is very difficult to find even with unlimited cash flow.
    Sites like Spotify wont update their catalogues massively past 2000 as its not lucrative enough. Grooveshark was beautifully simple to use with an unlimited catalogue that was constantly being updated by it`s users.
    Grooveshark is dead.
    Long live Grooveshark!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Try Deezer, Not quiet Grooveshark but I like what I see so far.

• Advertisement

Don't know if many people use the Android app, but if you do, I managed to find a way to get your song list and playlists.

-Use a root explorer to find a file called gshark.db. For me it was at /data/data/com.grooveshark.android.v1/databases/gshark.db

*Copy gshark.db to your sdcard and rename to gshark.sql

*install an app called SQLite manager and run it.

*click the magnifying glass, navigate to gshark.sql from earlier.

* now you can see database lists from your account. Click songs database to see lists of all songs you ever saved in grooveshark (even if you didn't offline them). One of the columns has the artist name in code. Match that with the artists database. If you know SQL this will be easy for you.

Hope that'll help some of you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

---
    Edit:
    Found a way to extract you full song list from the Android app. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95296698&postcount=7

Spotify has a huge database. Aside from the Beatles, what is missing from there? Definitely a bigger database than grooveshark. Its also way more user friendly and organised and the artists get some of the profits unlike grooveshark where they get nada.

magma69 wrote: »
    Spotify has a huge database. Aside from the Beatles, what is missing from there? Definitely a bigger database than grooveshark. Its also way more user friendly and organised and the artists get some of the profits unlike grooveshark where they get nada.

The database there is OK, but missing a lot of tracks that I would usually like (some Japanese, Finnish and Italian stuff). The worse thing about all the other services is regionalisation. When I'm travelling (I do a lot) you start coming across barriers like "this track is not available in your region" and so on. Rankles me up no end when I actually own a copy of the MP3 of CD....then again ownership of media is slowly becoming a thing of the past (unless you get DRMless stuff pirated)

I'm trying Deezer now on a trial though, it allowed you to upload tracks you own, so even if they don't have them themselves, I can still listen. Offline play is a bonus too - just hope it works when I'm up in Sweden in a few weeks and then Australia later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

upload your own tracks to Google Play Music and subscribe to their All Access service or Spotify for new music?

loyatemu wrote: »
    upload your own tracks to Google Play Music and subscribe to their All Access service or Spotify for new music?

I didn't know it was possible to upload your own tracks on Google Play.

Still, I got bored with Deezer and moved to Plex. It's free and I'm not limited by regionalisation. Better yet, because I host it on my own (I'm using an old laptop at home), I don't have to worry about any site closing down without notice or my music being taking down by any group :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I didn't know it was possible to upload your own tracks on Google Play.

you can upload 20,000 50,000 files.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

sorry to see grooveshark is gone

Advertisement