Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Exorcist – Mark Kermode (BFI Modern Classics)

Options
  • 01-05-2015 8:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

9780851709673.jpg

I just finished Mark Kermode's book on The Exorcist (second edition), published as part of the BFI Modern Classics range.

A great read. I, for one, far prefer Kermode's prose to his ramblings on BBC Radio, which is akin to listening to a pub bore who feels he knows more about a subject than anyone else in the room.

Kermode writes skillfully about the origins of Willaim Peter Blatty's novel (which was originally intended to be a non-fiction account, but had to be changed to protect the identities of the participants in the supposed 'real' exorcism) to it release, controversy and re-release in the late 1990s.

If you've seen Kermode's outstanding television documentary The Fear of God: 25 Years of the Exorcist (which was included on the VHS of the film, but significantly reduced on DVD), you'll know a lot already. But it's interesting that Kermode never passes judgement on Blatty's obviously sincere belief in the existence of the supernatural.

What's also interesting about the second edition is that it covers the deleted scenes which were reinserted into the film to make The Version You've Never Seen (of which Roger Ebert was strongly critical – but that's another issue). It may surprise people to realise how big a role Kermode had in that 'new' version.

It ends with a lengthy discussion between Blatty and Friedkin, conducted in 1997.

Has anyone else read it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I just finished Mark Kermode's book on The Exorcist (second edition), published as part of the BFI Modern Classics range.

A great read. I, for one, far prefer Kermode's prose to his ramblings on BBC Radio, which is akin to listening to a pub bore who feels he knows more about a subject than anyone else in the room.

Kermode writes skillfully about the origins of Willaim Peter Blatty's novel (which was originally intended to be a non-fiction account, but had to be changed to protect the identities of the participants in the supposed 'real' exorcism) to it release, controversy and re-release in the late 1990s.

If you've seen Kermode's outstanding television documentary The Fear of God: 25 Years of the Exorcist (which was included on the VHS of the film, but significantly reduced on DVD), you'll know a lot already. But it's interesting that Kermode never passes judgement on Blatty's obviously sincere belief in the existence of the supernatural.

What's also interesting about the second edition is that it covers the deleted scenes which were reinserted into the film to make The Version You've Never Seen (of which Roger Ebert was strongly critical – but that's another issue). It may surprise people to realise how big a role Kermode had in that 'new' version.

It ends with a lengthy discussion between Blatty and Friedkin, conducted in 1997.

Has anyone else read it?

No, I haven't read it yet, but it sounds great. His one on The Shawshank Redemption is excellent, and I hear his Silent Running one is quite good as well. I also enjoy his prose, but only his 'serious' stuff. His other books are essentially just collections of anecdotes, most of which listeners of the show will be overfamiliar with (although I quite enjoyed Hatchet Job). He loves dropping names in them as well, which makes me feel quite embarrassed for him. I don't think he's ever come to terms with the fact that he's met loads of famous people.

I've really tired of the radio show in recent years (yet I never miss an episode?). It's packed full of of irritating, unfunny in-jokes, like the non-existent 'cruise' and "hello to Jason Isaacs", although the latter seems to be coming to an end, thank god. At certain times, as Stewart Lee would say, "it resides at the very apex of all that is utter patience-testing ****." Other times it's brilliant, and I love those occasional moments when Mark really stretches himself in his reviews, drawing from the huge range of obscure and under-seen cinema that he's dedicated his life to.

Unlike you, I don't believe he thinks of himself as the smartest guy in the room. He always thinks his opinions are right, but that's not necessarily the same thing. He has many annoying flaws, but his worst is stubbornly holding to idiosyncratic interpretations of films when they simply don't hold up under scrutiny. Occasionally someone will send in a detailed critique of one of his readings of a film, which utterly exposes it, and all he'll say is "well that's a well-argued point", without even defending the opinion that he insists on driving down people's throats.

A classic example of this was his argument that Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was not about spying. If I'm not mistaken, even Tomas Alfredson, the director, disagreed with him. A female listener wrote in a very comprehensive email which tore his analysis to shreds, and he just backed off. Now whether you disagree with him or not is irrelevant. That film is open to any and all interpretations, as long as you're prepared to back it up. Hearing him capitulate like that changed my view of him. He began to look a little bit like a very clever and learned troll, but a troll nonetheless.

Finally, in my lightweight Kermodian rant, I must say a few words about the people that oversee their YouTube channel. I got banned for suggesting that the show had become a bit stale. Banned for saying that? Kermode runs a nice little side-business in lambasting certain directors in the most scabrous terms, and yet I get banned for comparing the show to two day old bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

I read the book years ago (it came free with the blu-ray). Place me in the camp that finds Kermode a bit annoying and undeserving of his unofficial Must Respected Film Authority Around. Maybe I am a snob, but how can you take seriously anybody who truly believes that The Exorcist is the greatest film ever made? It's not even the best horror film ever made; there was even a better horror film released in the very year The Exorcist first came out. Fair play for having a passionate love of cinema, but come on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

shazzerman wrote: »
    I read the book years ago (it came free with the blu-ray). Place me in the camp that finds Kermode a bit annoying and undeserving of his unofficial Must Respected Film Authority Around. Maybe I am a snob, but how can you take seriously anybody who truly believes that The Exorcist is the greatest film ever made? It's not even the best horror film ever made; there was even a better horror film released in the very year The Exorcist first came out. Fair play for having a passionate love of cinema, but come on!

He often talks about reviewing films 'in genre', meaning with reference to the conventions and aims of that genre. That's why he champions stuff like High School Musical, because he feels that they are perfectly executed given what they set out to achieve. I guess he feels the same about The Exorcist. And remember, he done is PhD on horror fiction, so perhaps he looks for stuff in a horror movie that other people don't. Also, he's a practising Christian, and many of his favourite films involve issues of faith, so maybe that's a factor here. Personally, I don't have a problem with his love of the film, because he backs it up with arguments. His love of the film is perfectly understandable, even though I don't agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

shazzerman wrote: »

I'd easily place it in the top 5 greatest films ever made. It's brilliantly acted, the pace is perfect, the special effects still hold up to this day, it is shot beautifully and the score is untouchable. I honestly cannot find a flaw with the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

The Exorcist is indeed a great film - but, personally, it would be far down in my Top 500 films. It might just sneak into my Top 20 horror films, but I have my doubts. Let me think...Psycho, Texas, Franky, Bride of, Eyes Without, Night of the Living/Demon, Vampyr, Repulsion, Dawn...yeah, it might find a spot in the 10-20 range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

I've really tired of the radio show in recent years (yet I never miss an episode?). It's packed full of of irritating, unfunny in-jokes, like the non-existent 'cruise' and "hello to Jason Isaacs", although the latter seems to be coming to an end, thank god.

I listened to it for years, then one day I realised I wasn't enjoying the majority of the show - which was taking up with, as you said, 'irritating, unfunny in-jokes'. There are far better film podcasts out there, including The Empire Podcast and (my personal favourite) Filmspotting.
    He has many annoying flaws, but his worst is stubbornly holding to idiosyncratic interpretations of films when they simply don't hold up under scrutiny. Occasionally someone will send in a detailed critique of one of his readings of a film, which utterly exposes it, and all he'll say is "well that's a well-argued point", without even defending the opinion that he insists on driving down people's throats.

A classic example of this was his argument that Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was not about spying. If I'm not mistaken, even Tomas Alfredson, the director, disagreed with him. A female listener wrote in a very comprehensive email which tore his analysis to shreds, and he just backed off. Now whether you disagree with him or not is irrelevant. That film is open to any and all interpretations, as long as you're prepared to back it up. Hearing him capitulate like that changed my view of him.

Yes, and the ridiculous theory that Spielberg's Jaws is about adultery, despite the fact that that subplot is completely excised from the film version, and Spielberg himself debunked this on air!

Kermode's pretension sometimes bothered me as well. He once humble-bragged of how he could never replaced Jonathan Ross on Film 2011 because his favourite film of the last ten years was "about the Spanish Civil War" (he was referring to Pan's Labyrinth, which, though an excellent film, is as much about the Spanish Civil War as Die Hard is about yuppie culture in 1980s corporate America).

He also went on at how he and Mayo's views were incompatible because he (Kermode) liked films films like Les yeux sans visage (the French title of Eyes Without A Face, a horror film about skins being grafted from one face to another).

Let's not forget, he chose The Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins as two of "the ten greatest films ever made" (his words) when asked in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Has anyone actually seen Dougal and the Blue Cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

More evidence that Kermode is nuts, he thinks Hackers is a great film!

Hackers is one of the few films which I saw when I was young (very early teens) and chose to turn off midway through because I thought it was so bad.

Advertisement