Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling with bad back

• 01-05-2015 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

did a bit of damage to my back a few years ago and had to have some steel inserted in T11 T12, bones 2/3 of the way down your back

anyway recently bought a road bike and went cycling yesterday evening for the first time, TBH could feel the muscles in my back working after a mile, was a bit suprised to be honest hadn't expected to find that,

so anyone else with a bad back what do you do ?

should I be fitting an adjustable stem and raising the handlebars ?

or is there some form of brace I should wear ?

or just sell the bike again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

There are many cyclists(racing and leisure) out there who have history with back, leg, shoulder etc injuries.

The best thing you could do is to get a professional bike fitting. This would be the best money you will ever spend as it will help you not get any aches from your past injuries when do you long spins back to back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm a shuttering carpenter and it's absolute donkey work hauling steel and concrete all day. My back is in rough shape, I regularly struggle to just get out of the bed.
    Yoga is the best thing you can do for a bad back IMO. Not even anything fancy, just some basic stretches for 10 minutes in the morning.
    It's the only reason I can work, let alone cycle.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Boards rules prohibit medical advice and you really should see a doctor or physio to get some proper advice.

My own experience for what it's worth is I had 4 lower back disc operations in my mid 30s to early 40s. Still get spasms on occasions but cycling has improved my condition by getting me to drop a hell of a lot of weight and has resulted in me been a lot fitter in my 50s than I was when I was at school.

Again though I cannot emphasise enough. Get some proper medical advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

I only started cycling as I'd hurt my back so stopped lifting weights. I've 2 bulged discs.
    To be honest your back muscles will hurt till you get used to that position but a bike fit would be advisable.
    Another thing that I've an issue with due to my back is tight hipflexors and it band. Basically my back issue is on my lower right side but my left leg gives me muscle issues. So I do lots of foam rolling which really helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

aidanki wrote: »
    did a bit of damage to my back a few years ago and had to have some steel inserted in T11 T12, bones 2/3 of the way down your back

anyway recently bought a road bike and went cycling yesterday evening for the first time, TBH could feel the muscles in my back working after a mile, was a bit suprised to be honest hadn't expected to find that,

so anyone else with a bad back what do you do ?

should I be fitting an adjustable stem and raising the handlebars ?

or is there some form of brace I should wear ?

or just sell the bike again

If you Enjoy cycling, don't give it up. Whatever else you do, try NOT to sell the bike. You don't know when someday you might want to get it checked to hit the road again.

Now,
    ~ you could put your bike on a turbo and pedal away there for a while to see how you're getting on. The turbo helped me, so perhaps you also. It will tell you through time how far you can push yourself whilst in safe confines of your home and not miles in the middle of no-where. It will help you turn up the distance, but also help you tease up the resistance re-building your strength. All the while your peddling, you could be reading a book or watching some dvd not realising just how much good you're doing for your body.

My original bike-fit was so wrong but you know what, no way in Gods' name would I have been able to cycle back then with my current bike fit. My body is angled; positioned; elongated now; whereas before I was more curled up closer with no real 'stretch' or pull in my body so I was peddling away; getting stronger but not stretching or elongating my body's position to hurt.
    ^^ Some could say that that position might have prolonged recovery, but it just worked for me.

~ maaybe get a professional bike-fit done. They will mark on the main components where they are starting from; will make note of the changes being made so if you find it's too much, you can revert back somewhat until you're stronger.

^^^ In saying that, I've regained the joy in cycling again after my recent bike-fit; feels easier; I feel happier cycling now; don't take pain-killers before or after a cycle in recent times. Still on pain-killers, but no where near what I was. Maybe when my distances get longer, may be needed again, but for now, my body seems to have found some peace with itself and that just feels Wonderful! :) I do still get pain in my lower back to the point where I slow right down, but I just don't stop nor turn back. Slow it right now; but keep peddling and just ease the way forward. I know you can get back-braces that wrap up nice n tight; so you could perhaps carry one with you and take out if needed for that tight support if you feel a pull or more discomfort than normal.

~ You should see a physio or doctor first and listen to what they tell you.
    ~ Don't jump into something when you're not ready.
    ~ Be patient with yourself; but more importantly, discipline yourself.
    ~ Listen to your body.

Don't sell the bike if you can,
    Cannot, cannot say how much Cycling has saved me.
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've had a bad back for over 40 years(injury on a building site), now complicated by osteoarthritis. I find that the more I cycle, The better my back is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

aidanki wrote: »
    ...so anyone else with a bad back what do you do ?...

Lots of stretches before and after. Lots of swimming. Physio to get specific exercises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

The strongest guy in our club had a back operation last year. He's still the strongest.
    Do NOT sell that bike OP. Give it time, and take your time. My neck used to kill me when I started cycling seriously at the end of 2013. It's fine now. Your muscles will adapt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Cycling requires good core strength. Pilates and/or yoga are good for that

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Agree with all the advice above, especially:
    - Get medical advice and physio if needed
    - Do either (or both) Pilates and Yoga, with a qualified instructor
    - Do keep cycling, but only within the limits of what doesn't aggravate your back. A turbo is a more controlled environment than the road, so can be used to build strength.
    - Get a bike fit. If you can't or don't want to go to a professional bike fitter, go to your local bike shop. They may not be as good as a pro fitter, but it will be better than nothing.

And one extra thing - on the road, the hardest thing for your back to deal with is low cadence high effort cycling or any sudden efforts. so don't do those things :-) . Build your ability gradually and make sure you are pedaling quickly and lightly by using lower gears. Probably best to stay away from the hills until you build up your abilities on the flat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement