Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of swapping monitor - advice please

Options
  • 01-05-2015 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a mid range gaming PC with a Dell S2330MX 23" Full HD WLED Ultraslim Widescreen Monitor VGA, DVI-D, 2ms response time.

I have a 32" HD Ready Techwood TV with the following spec's which I'm thinking of using it instead of the 23" monitor. (I don't have room to use two screens!!)

Screen Size (cm): 32 inch
    Screen Definition: 720p
    Screen Aspect Ratio Widescreen 16:9
    Viewing Angle: 170 (H) 160 (V)
    Response Time (ms): 6.5
    Connectivity 1 x USB, 2 x HDMI
    TV Features: MPEG4 Tuner
    Number of Speakers 2

The manual that came with the 32" TV indicates that it's "HDMI Signal Compatibility" includes 1080p. I assume that means it can receive 1080p signals but will downscale them to the max output of the monitor i.e. 720p.

Should I swap the monitors or am I better off sticking with the higher quality but smaller sized 23" for gaming? (GTA, Call of Duty etc etc)

Appreciate the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Stick with the monitor - no contest. The TV is not designed for gaming, input lag and ghosting would not be a good experience for you. Plus the monitor is full HD, TV is only 720p.

I actually hooked up a 32" Panasonic LED TV to my PC the other day just to try it out and I wasn't long reverting to my Benq monitor :eek:. Plus the screen was too big, 24" is probably the best size for 1080p gaming, 27" if your monitor was to be 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Stick with the monitor - no contest. The TV is not designed for gaming, input lag and ghosting would not be a good experience for you. Plus the monitor is full HD, TV is only 720p.

I actually hooked up a 32" Panasonic LED TV to my PC the other day just to try it out and I wasn't long reverting to my Benq monitor :eek:. Plus the screen was too big, 24" is probably the best size for 1080p gaming, 27" if your monitor was to be 1440p.

Thanks MFS, appreciate it.

One more question if you don't mind. Would the TV be useful as an office monitor to be used daily for MS Outlook/Word/Excel/PowerPoint etc? I crunch a lot of numbers so I can see the benefit of a really large screen in Excel but not so sure it would be practical for other apps. (I have the same 23" Dell 1080p screen in my office which could become a 2nd screen if the 32" screen became the main screen)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Not gaming, a TV is fine. 32" is massive to sit in front of IMO, but trying it out is the only way to see.

Not gaming, a TV is fine. 32" is massive to sit in front of IMO, but trying it out is the only way to see.

Yes, I think it will be too big and look stupid on my desk.

Not sure what to do with it now though!! I don't need another TV in my house.

It only looks stupid if you think so, I was talking more about comfort on yourself.

Hop it up on done deal or adverts if it needs to go sure?

• Advertisement

Hop it up on done deal or adverts if it needs to go sure?
    True enough. It was €279 new and is still in it's box so I'm sure I'd get close to €200 for it.

List it at €275 or €300 and you'll get offers of 225 or 250 I reckon

Advertisement